Gate of Infinity

breng77

Hi all,

I am originally a Dark angels player (Ravenwing), recently I have been looking at running my bike army as codex marines (mostly due to the fact that I am entering a tournament that disallows special characters so my RW is a no go.) That said I have liked some of the options I have seen in the current SM dex. One thing I was looking at was the gate of infinity pychic power.

After looking at the power, and reading through the FAQ for codex marines. It seems to me that this power could be used to pull a unit out of CC. Is this true? Or should I say how is this normally played? If so this power seems much more useful than it would otherwise.

Until it is FAQ'd by GW themselves, it remains unclear. Some (like me) say yes of course, why not. Others say no because it's a form of movement and you can't move when in CC except for the exceptions there.

in this instance you could speak to the torunament organisers and get a decision before the event

:huh:

It is best to discuss this before a friendly game as well, if only to avoid a possible argument in the middle of the game.

[Edit: I forgot to use all the words necessary to make my statement a complete sentence.]

Yeah it is a very tough call. Looking at the most similar rule (the necron veil of darkness) I guess I might go with that it cannot because Veil specifically states that it works with units in CC. I was planning on asking the TO anyway, simply because unless there is an official ruling, the TO can play it any way he wants.

Yeah it is a very tough call. Looking at the most similar rule (the necron veil of darkness) I guess I might go with that it cannot because Veil specifically states that it works with units in CC. I was planning on asking the TO anyway, simply because unless there is an official ruling, the TO can play it any way he wants.

Remember- veil is from an older edition, and not only that but a different way of writing a codex.

I agree, it seems like it could work- and its not game breaking either way. Discussing it with your TO and friends is the best way to get it set up and avoid arguments though.

After all, we could tell you that C:SM allows you to field purple mini bunnies as a troops choice, with a 2++ and twin linked lascannon for 10pts. I doubt your friends would listen :huh:.

I always assumed it was legal.

I've used gate to leave CC in a couple of tournament games, to my opponents' surprise, but they've never protested.

Don't have the codex or rulebook with me right now, but they were okay once I showed them the wording.

My take is that if a psyker can ignore the ongoing CC around him for long enough to use any psychic powers, then Gate should be ok.

Cheers, Paul.

This one is always fun. Not.

I think it's a no. CC is a lock unless an exception is written (HnR is specific as it breaks convention). There's no exception in GoI.

*snip*

My take is that if a psyker can ignore the ongoing CC around him for long enough to use any psychic powers, then Gate should be ok.

*snip*

My take is that if a psyker can ignore the ongoing CC around him for long enough to use any psychic powers, then Gate should be ok. But I can't see him politely asking his comrades and their sparring partners to stop what they're doing and let his buddies step through it.

*snip*

*snip*

My take is that if a psyker can ignore the ongoing CC around him for long enough to use any psychic powers, then Gate should be ok. But I can't see him politely asking his comrades and their sparring partners to stop what they're doing and let his buddies step through it.

Yes, but ultimately that's as subjective as the day is long. If psykers use their power like D&D wizards and need gestures and incantations, then it wouldn't work. If they are more like Jedi and simply command the Warp it's fine. Since the rules are completely silent on both, I don't think we can use it as a basis to make a decision.

Personally, I'm inclined to say no because units locked in combat can't do anything in their Movement phases unless explicitly stated.

Also, seriously, GW? Space Marines, the flagship of your game, have only what? Eight or ten psyker powers? And we're left to guess when one of them can be used? I am continually stunned at what they choose to address in the FAQ and what they willfully ignore (We'll Be Back comes to readily to mind).

Personally, I'm inclined to say no because units locked in combat can't do anything in their Movement phases unless explicitly stated.

I have to disagree with this there are plenty of Psychic powers that occur during the movement phase that are allowed. The only ruling for CC is that you are not allowed to move.

Also, seriously, GW? Space Marines, the flagship of your game, have only what? Eight or ten psyker powers? And we're left to guess when one of them can be used? I am continually stunned at what they choose to address in the FAQ and what they willfully ignore (We'll Be Back comes to readily to mind).

Agreed on all that. Unless it is specifically allowed, I feel it is a bit rich to assume it is.

RoV

Archived