black templars WIP

houtex73

so as most of you know i am new to 40K and started with the BT army, well, gosh darn, everyone says its easy to paint BT, After priming my rhino with black, i moved on to under coating it with what else? black LOL...so i hit the whole model 3 times to get a good base coat, so i knew i wanted to hit some white areas, so i hit the areas including the doors with codex grey, multiple coats! Then onto the white, jimminey christmas, even with 3 coats of grey, i still needed 5 coats of white (yes it was watered down, some) until the last coat was just pure white no water... i know there is alot more to do, but i do have a question, on the panel doors, HOW do i detail out the crosses and such?? I tried drybrushing he areas, but looked like crap so i repainted them white... is there a certain brush i need, technique what?? I need your HELP please!

thank you

gallery_58347_5483_638487.jpg

gallery_58347_5483_2249712.jpg

gallery_58347_5483_1273544.jpg

top tip for painting the white bits on black templars: spray them white seperately and then glue them on at the very end, saved me hours and hours and hours when doing mine!

As for how to do the detail on the doors, when I did mine I blocked out the detail in black and then painted the colours in over that, if you're careful it gives a nice blackline around the detail which distinguishes it quite nicely from the white. As for a special technique, no, there isn't one, put on the basic colours you want (I did my crosses in white with red border parts) and then highlight/shade as required.

Painting black is 'easy' to do to a gaming standard, really really hard to do to a 'WOW' standard, if these are your first models, I'd stick to at most a 2 layer highlight as it's quick and looks good if done neatly, start off with a thin ish line of a mid-dark grey, like adeptus battlegrey or codex grey/black (50/50 mix) on the raised edges of the model, where the light would hit, and then on the very extreme edges give it a dash of something lighter like fortress grey.

Archived