Blood Champion/Company Champion and wargear

JamesI

In codex BA and Codex SM, the command squad (or Honor guard for us BA) have the character Champion (blood or company). They have their own statline.

The weapons upgrades require upgrading veterans or Honor Guard. Since the champions have their own statline, this should mean they can't take those upgrades. just like a sergeant can't take the squad's meltagun.

But this argument comes up a lot. Is it possible to deal with order of operations? Upgrade the guy's weapons then upgrade him to champion? To me this doesn't make sense as its illegal if I do it one way, but legal the other.

By extension, if its decided a champion can take upgrades, why can't the apothecary/sanguinary novitiate.

There is no way to manipualte an apothicary or noviate into geting upgrades, there is simply not a way to do it. I dont buy the order of operations bit for changing equipment on a champoin, but its just blurry enouph that the argument is there. But an apothicary is never a vet for the purposes of upgrades, so the argument cannot transfer to them.

But this argument comes up a lot. Is it possible to deal with order of operations? Upgrade the guy's weapons then upgrade him to champion? To me this doesn't make sense as its illegal if I do it one way, but legal the other.

The main argument in favor of breaking order of operations for wargear is a FAQ answer for Codex: Orks (see below) that twists the normal order of operations a little.

Q. If a Boyz mob exchange sluggas and choppas with shootas, can a Nob take a power klaw or a big choppa?

A. You may upgrade the Nob to have a big choppa or power klaw before you choose to upgrade the mob to have shootas, in which case the Nob is not affected by the mob’s weapon swap (as he no longer has a choppa to swap), does not receive a shoota and keeps his slugga and power klaw/big choppa instead. He is a lot happier that way!

Unfortunately, this does not apply to Codex: Blood Angels because the answers presented in the FAQ for Codex: Orks only applies to Codex: Orks as it is (wait for it...) the FAQ for Codex: Orks.

By extension, if its decided a champion can take upgrades, why can't the apothecary/sanguinary novitiate.

Assuming for the next statement that my previous statements are incorrect and the Codex: Orks FAQ also applies to Codex: Blood Angels in the manner desired, you could not adjust a sanguinary novitiate's wargear because he is not an upgrade to the squad.

Archived