Kitting out a tactical squad

The Neophyte of War

Greetings Brothers,

I have been working on my space marine army and have been looking at my two troop choice minimum for my army and have decided on tactical squads. I have been looking to use these two builds and build from there. My thinking behind these two builds is to deal with infantry in power Armour/terminator armour and to be able to take care of tanks. Are these competitive builds or should I be trying to go with something else?

Tactical Squad-10

Power weapon

Meltagun

Plasmacannon

Rhino

T-230

Tactical Squad--10

Powerfist

Plasmagun

Lascannon

Rhino

T-250

Also I am deciding to add either another 10 man tactical squad w/Combi-melta, meltagun and Multimelta or a 10 man scout squad with sniper rifles, any insight into these would also be greatly appreciated!

-NoW

OK then, if you want a tactical squad that can deal with infantry, in particular power armour (MEQ) and Terminators (TEQ), and tanks then look no further than the plasma gun/ multi-melta squad in a Rhino. The plasma gun deals with MEQ and TEQ, plus light tanks, while the multi-melta can deal with any tank, and lend a hand against MEQ and TEQ. The range bands pair up nicely, and you can fire both out of the transport. For added 'omph' against MEQ perhaps take a combi-plasma, should take out a few Marines in that one critical turn of shooting.

The other unit that's good against these targets is combi-melta, meltagun and missile launcher. The main two weapons here are the combi-melta and meltagun, where in one turn that tank you want dead is facing two melta shots. Don't pair meltaguns with multi-meltas. It sounds right, but the range bands are horrible together. The MM is a heavy, and the MG is assault. However, the MG has half the range of the MM, and so you want to move it to get it in range, but then you can't use the MM. Much better to take a combi and a heavy weapon that does something different, like the missile launcher. This config can deal with tanks, MEQ and TEQ.

As for the sergeant's weapons, I used to be big advocate of power fists on everyone. Then took them out, realised I didn't lose much in combat, but gained many more points for other areas in my list. It is a personal choice in my opinion, but power fists aren't essential, they're just an extra if you have left over points. Leave the power weapon though, especially if you want to kill MEQ. Though you get an extra attack and strike at initiative and ignore armour saves, you're still S4 and wound on 4s. IMO it's better to stick with the power fist if you're hoping to kill some Marines or vehicles in combat.

Keep the Rhinos, these should be fundamental to your strategy.

As for the 3rd squad, you don't need it, but if it makes you feel safer then I'd say it depends on the points you have to spend. If you don't have much, then take a 5 man sniper squad with camo cloaks and perhaps a heavy bolter. Comes in at around 90/100pts, and a fantastic home base objective sitter. Don't expect them to do damage, just to survive by getting 2+ cover saves by going to ground every turn, but as long as they're alive on an objective it doesn't matter. If you have the points to spare, then I'd go for a combi-melta, meltagun, ML squad in Rhino, and have the first two tactical squads as (combi-plas), plasma gun, multi-melta, Rhino squads. That's what I'd do anyway :).

I field two Power Fist/Melta-gun/Plasma Cannon tactical squads in my 1.5k list. IMO, it has the right tool for the job you need to fulfill from turn to turn, and works pretty darn well against deep striking enemies, Terminators and Sanguinary Guard in particular.

I always take power fists because I know that my tac squads see combat almost every game, and the power fist always throws in that wild card that could win the combat for me. Not exactly helpful against Tier 1 assault units, but it's enough to give you a slight edge against other Tier 2 combat units, like other tac squads and ork boy squads.

I pretty much agree with everything Darkguard said.

I don't feel that a third tactical squad is ever really needed, but some people recommend it. In a mechanized army, and wth combat squading as an option, 2 full tactical squads should be plenty and will allow you to buy the really killy stuff.

Also, on the powerfist option... they are a lot of points that don't add a whole lot. After many games of taking them in all tactical squads, and then many more games of taking them in some squads, I've come to believe that tactical squads don't need them. If a tactical squad is caught in combat with anything that a powerfist is needed, and can't get away with combat tactics, power fist is not likely to make a difference. I just saw too many tactical squads getting wiped out, with or without fists, to think they make any difference. Now I'd rather save the 50 points... that's a whole landspeeder after all.

-Myst

If you have the points to spare, then I'd go for a combi-melta, meltagun, ML squad in Rhino, and have the first two tactical squads as (combi-plas), plasma gun, multi-melta, Rhino squads. That's what I'd do anyway :lol:.

Sorry a small correction on this. That's what I would have done. Now my plasma squads are cheaper by being combi-flamer, flamer, multi-melta. The multi-melta can still handle tanks and MCs and ICs, while the flamers make infantry die quicker. Also, they do an all right job against power armour through forcing saves. If you shoot both flamers, you could expect to see one or two casualties caused by the flamers, which is about as many casualties as you'd expect from the plasma gun. Less reliable for sure, but cheaper and more diverse.

And I pretty much agree with Myst on everything power fist related. Not amazing on Tactical squads, stick them in Assault squads, Vanguard, Sternguard, Command squads, but not Tactical squads. It'll do nothing against the big boys, and is overkill against the guys you can normally kill. You should also look to maximise shooting, not assault, and that they should be shooting from the Rhino. I can understand the idea that power fists are insurance, but they are an expensive insurance, and one that isn't amazing. I might take them on my combi-melta, meltagun squad, but no more.

Well I have had great success with three tactical squads. Here is my layout:

1st Sqd

Power Fist

Missile Launcher

Plasma Gun

Rhino

2nd Sqd

Power Fist

Missile Launcher

Plasma Gun

Rhino

3rd Sqd

Power Fist

Missle Launcher

Flamer

Rhino

My Plasma Squads are my forward movers supported by two dreads. My flamer squad moves with my Sternguard and Hq. I know that scouts are cheaper but routing a Tac Sqd from cover is nigh impossible where I play. Plus the power fists have been the bane of many of the players I have played. Granted I am the only marine player that plays on a regular basis. I think that the tactical squad debate depends so heavily on your local gaming scene that you have to really take into account your gaming scene to be effective. Before I played my first I read all of the Tactical Squad FAQs and ran 2 squads with plasma and multi melta. My squads performed sub par at best and the multi melta was ineffective. Well I think I have rambled on long enough so I'm gonna stop here.

It really depends on what you want to do with them.

Sit in midfield - then Flamer, Multi-melta, Rhino and optional combi-weapon

Sitting back - then 5 tacticals with a combi-flamer in a Las/Plas Razorback

Bit of both - Combat squad Combi-Melta, Meltagun in a Rhino, with the other five sitting back with a Missile Launcher.

It really depends on what you want to do with them.

Sit in midfield - then Flamer, Multi-melta, Rhino and optional combi-weapon

Sitting back - then 5 tacticals with a combi-flamer in a Las/Plas Razorback

Bit of both - Combat squad Combi-Melta, Meltagun in a Rhino, with the other five sitting back with a Missile Launcher.

I feel this is a pretty good general summary. Of course there will be exceptions, but I more or less agree with the midfield and sitting back squads (I don't combat squad). Exceptions of course may include there being lots of MEQ and TEQ, and you feel plasma guns would be better in midfield. Good rule of thumb though, thumbs up from me :P.

And Phlegon, I know what you mean about multi-meltas. My meltas never hit when in melta range, but when the target is outside melta range then they'll hit. You'd think it'd be easier to hit if they were closer. O well, I still stick with meltas for psychological effect, today it forced my opponent out of melta range and away from my objective so he wouldn't lose his vehicle, that's priceless IMO.

Archived