Question about 2 different allies

Vaneem

I am playing space wolves. In the witch hunters codex, it says you can take up to 1 hq, 1 elite, 2 troops, and 1 fast attack from the witch hunters codex as allies. In the daemonhunters codex, it says in regard to allies that the daemonhunter allied unit choices may not exceed 1 hq, 1 elite, 2 troops, and 1 fast attack. In order to take an assassin from the witch hunters codex it says that you need an inquisitor or an inquisitor lord. My question is, could I take an elite slot inquisitor from the daemonhunters as an ally, and have that satisfy the requirement to have an assassin from the witch hunters? I would not be exceeding the 1 elite choice rule from either of them, because I would have 1 elite witch hunter, and 1 elite daemonhunter. Can I take allies from two different places like this? Also, the ally rules are not in the free codices posted on the games workshop website, but they are in the actual paper codices. Is this on purpose, to remove allies altogether? Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to this.

Codex: Daemonhunters mentions that certain armies may take units from Codex: Daemonhunters as 'allies', but I do not think there are rules for allies in Fifth Edition. I like to use the following analogy:

My boss says I can wear a baseball cap on Friday, but I do not work on Friday, so I do not get to wear a baseball cap at work.

So, to answer your question:

You could take units from Codex: Daemonhunters as allies, but you cannot take allies at all, so you may not take units from Codex: Daemonhunters at all.

If you check the FAQ on GWs website you have the answer to the first question. As to the second, GW's said that the pdf doesn't override the paper version. So if you have the paper version then you may use allies unless you're in an environment that disallows this.

Indeed, the allies rules are alive and kicking for a little while longer.

But not, you need a daemonhunter inquisitor to take a daemonhunter asassin. However, you can take an inquisitor lord *unlike in the last SW codex* so I dont see the issue.

On the issue of the mixing of allies from the two different -][- codexes with regards Assassins. Yes you can is the answer to that, as the Inq or Inq Lord requirement (to take the Assassin) is not Codex-specific in either the Witchunter or Daemonhunter Codex – and there is no restriction on the mixing of allies from these books in the same force.

In terms of the Assassins though, as they are the same in each book, both could be DH in your case anyway.

Cheers

I

The reason I would want to take an elite slot inquisitor rather than an hq slot inquisitor lord is point cost. I dont want to use the inquisitor or lord, I really just want the assassin. An inquisitor lord is 45 points + the cost of a minimum of 3 henchmen which totals somewhere around 68 points, depending on the henchmen you choose. However, the unupgraded elite slot inquisitor is only 20 points, and you can choose to have 0 henchmen. Thanks for clarifying these rules for me!

On the issue of the mixing of allies from the two different -][- codexes with regards Assassins. Yes you can is the answer to that, as the Inq or Inq Lord requirement (to take the Assassin) is not Codex-specific in either the Witchunter or Daemonhunter Codex – and there is no restriction on the mixing of allies from these books in the same force.

In terms of the Assassins though, as they are the same in each book, both could be DH in your case anyway.

Cheers

I

Witchunter faq, right hand column, bottom of page 2.

Q. Can an Officio Assassinorum Operative or

Daemonhunter Deathcult Assassin be taken as

an ally in an army that only has a Witch Hunter

Inquisitor (or vice versa)?

A. Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters are

discrete types of Inquisitor. The Officio

Assassinorum Operative or Deathcult Assassin

may only be taken in an army that has an

Inquisitor from the same Codex.

Cheers

I

I'm afraid that is incorrect

From the Witchhunter FAQ

Q. Can an Officio Assassinorum Operative or

Daemonhunter Deathcult Assassin be taken as

an ally in an army that only has a Witch Hunter

Inquisitor (or vice versa)?

A. Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters are

discrete types of Inquisitor. The Officio

Assassinorum Operative or Deathcult Assassin

may only be taken in an army that has an

Inquisitor from the same Codex.

Hmm I stand corrected. All other allies mixing is OK though :)

Yes, all codex references are always internal. If deamon hungers or witch hunters had a "captain" unit, it would not fufill the captain requirement to bring a command squad from codex marines. A unit from one coded is NOT the same as a unit from a different codex, even if everything else about them is 100% identical.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you could say allies are still alive and well, but you need permission from your opponent and it isn't as cheap or easy as adding in a nifty fast attack unit from another codex. See pg 87 under "Multiple Detachment Games".

Of course, I see why, because practically any army would benefit from a ~500 point platoon of IG tailored to provide fire support.

Actually, you could say allies are still alive and well, but you need permission from your opponent and it isn't as cheap or easy as adding in a nifty fast attack unit from another codex. See pg 87 under "Multiple Detachment Games".

Of course, I see why, because practically any army would benefit from a ~500 point platoon of IG tailored to provide fire support.

Thats the detachment rules, not the allies rules- as you yourself noted.

The ones in the WH and DH codices do not require opponents permission.

Thats the detachment rules, not the allies rules- as you yourself noted.

The ones in the WH and DH codices do not require opponents permission.

I know, either way. I see why GW is moving away from it after I got a couple of obscene comments and muttering about house rules over codex rules when I brought up Inducting an IG platoon into a WH list.

It also limits the ability to simply "grab" a nifty unit out of another codex. Instead, you have to grab the usual HQ + 2x Troops to even start getting a nifty.

If they were muttering over an IG platoon then they obviously hadnt read the rules.

This isnt a problem with the allies rules, but rather with that persons ignorance. People are capable of being ignorant of many things- should we disallow multi-assaults, night fighting, kill points, and psychic powers all because some people have a problem understanding them?

Preposterous.

If they were muttering over an IG platoon then they obviously hadnt read the rules.

This isnt a problem with the allies rules, but rather with that persons ignorance. People are capable of being ignorant of many things- should we disallow multi-assaults, night fighting, kill points, and psychic powers all because some people have a problem understanding them?

Preposterous.

In this case it wasn't stupidity, it was protesting the tailored arse-kicking I was going to administer with that IG platoon with 3x autocannons and 15x mortars. Oh yeah, I had planned to hide the mortars in a ruin out of LOS and just shoot them with no modification for scatter. They understood. They didn't want to change their lists.

It is also why I think GW got rid of allies. I cannot see that kind of firepower as a detriment to any Imperial list. It works real well with Sisters since they can make the IG platoon Stubborn at a higher morale stat with a BoSL around. Heh, reverse it and get a Sisters ally for an IG gunline. Even a detachment, you could give an entire gunline Ld 9 or Ld 10 even with base IG.

Archived