Jaws of the World Wolf vs Jump Troops

Legacy40k

This came up today.. a game with Tau vs Space Wolves. And while I would have thought this question has been asked before, I couldn't find it through the search.

Are Jump Troops (and bikes for that matter) affected by Jaws?

The space wolf player assumes that jump troops and bikes are sub classes of infantry, and are thus affected because infantry are affected.

I looked through the rule book, and I couldn't find any example of subclasses existing. And really, Monsterous Creatures have more in common than jump infantry to regular infantry. Jump Troops and Bikes don't share any rules with infantry besides the ability to move, shoot and assault... like almost every other unit in the game.

Any thoughts/clarifications on this?

"The unit types in Warhammer 40,000 are as follows:"

- Infantry <--

- Beasts and Cavalry <--

- Monstrous Creatures <--

- Jump Infantry

- Artillery

- Bikes and Jetbikes <--

- Vehicles

(WH40K Rulebook, page 4-5)

Jaws of the World Wolf

(...) Monstrous Creatures, beasts, cavalry, bikes and infantry models that are touched by this line must take an initiative test.

(Codex Space Wolves, page 37)

Also note that according to the Space Wolves FaQ the crew members of artillery units can be hit, but the gun models cannot.

Yep, thank you for that illustrative response Legatus- hes quite correct too. Infantry might be a component word of Jump Infantry but its a different unit type entirely.

Much like how Jelly and Jelly Bean are different things.

Would it also affect Jetpack infantry? or should we refer to them as Jumppack infantry as well.

Well, seeing as how there's no such thing as 'jetpack' or 'jump-pack' infantry. No.

The key thing is whether or not they're labled as 'jump infantry' (no 'pack' needed). Some deamons can take wings that make them Jump Infantry. Some deamons (and the Tyranids too) only get to 'move like JI', which wouldn't work against JotWW.

Correct ,as per the SW FAQ

Q. If the unit type that a Wolf Priest’s Oath of

War affects is declared to be Bikes, does the unit

gain the benefit against Jetbikes, and vice versa?

A. Yes, because Jetbikes is a subcategory of the

‘Bike’ unit type. Similarly, ‘Beasts & Cavalry’ are

the same unit type, and ‘Jet Packs’ are a

subcategory of the ‘Jump Infantry’ unit type. A

Wolf Priest that has sworn his oath against one

will still get the benefit of the oath against the

other.

Correct ,as per the SW FAQ

Q. If the unit type that a Wolf Priest’s Oath of

War affects is declared to be Bikes, does the unit

gain the benefit against Jetbikes, and vice versa?

A. Yes, because Jetbikes is a subcategory of the

‘Bike’ unit type. Similarly, ‘Beasts & Cavalry’ are

the same unit type, and ‘Jet Packs’ are a

subcategory of the ‘Jump Infantry’ unit type. A

Wolf Priest that has sworn his oath against one

will still get the benefit of the oath against the

other.

And all Tau players said yippee!

YIPPEE!

Here's a follow-on question: can jump infantry choose not to use their jet packs and instead move like "normal" infantry to avoid Tempest's Wrath effects?

Silly as it seems, they are still of the type: Jump Infantry so no they can't avoid the effects even though they can choose to move as Infantry.

Here's a follow-on question: can jump infantry choose not to use their jet packs and instead move like "normal" infantry to avoid Tempest's Wrath effects?

Silly as it seems, they are still of the type: Jump Infantry so no they can't avoid the effects even though they can choose to move as Infantry.

Ever tried hillwalking on a very windy day with a really big backpack..? :)

Its amazing how many times I've had this argument.

Its because JoWW is an increadably poorly desighned power.

No, it's fantastic! Not only is it a lovingly crafted piece of cheese but XVs are safe as well so muahahaha :lol:

On a more serious note the reason I believe XV suites are immune is down to their size and proximity to each other. Far too easy to drop pod a RP close to the tau line and cast Jaws straight through those suits. With their super low Initiative it would just be powerful. That 400+ points shas'O and bodyguard squad? Gone in a hit. The prospect would not be fun, so the wise folks at GW limited it's power.

I always thought they only used their packs when going the extra 'six but looking at it now regardless of what would be "normal" or "practical" I say that it doesn't matter and they are what they are labeled as so take the necisarry tests. Hey with a big thing on your back you have to be careful right? So even if you imagine them "walking" they still take the tests.

Just my 2 cents.

Its amazing how many times I've had this argument.

Its because JoWW is an increadably poorly desighned power.

No, it's fantastic! Not only is it a lovingly crafted piece of cheese but XVs are safe as well so muahahaha :)

On a more serious note the reason I believe XV suites are immune is down to their size and proximity to each other. Far too easy to drop pod a RP close to the tau line and cast Jaws straight through those suits. With their super low Initiative it would just be powerful. That 400+ points shas'O and bodyguard squad? Gone in a hit. The prospect would not be fun, so the wise folks at GW limited it's power.

Nope, for them we have Tempest's Wrath and Murderous Hurricane...

Archived