Multiple pinning tests

Voltaire

Page 37 of the warhammer40k rule book:

"If a unit other than a vehicle suffers any unsaved wounds from a pinning weapon. It must immediately take a pinning test...."

"As long as the tests are passed, a unit may be called upon to take multiple pinning tests in a single turn, but if a unit has already gone to ground, no further pinning tests are taken."

So basically a unit of sniper scouts shoots at some orks. The orks take 4 wounds. They take four pinning tests until they are pinned, or pass them all.

I don't see where it says anything otherwise so why are people saying it's one pinning test per turn?

It is not one pinning test per turn. It is one pinning test caused per enemy unit. That#s how it has allways been, that's what the text in the rulebook is clumsily trying to convey (doing a horrible job), and thankfully, that's what the recet Rulebook FaQ states as well (page 2, bottom left):

"Q: How many Pinning tests can a squad firing multiple

Pinning weapons cause on the enemy it is shooting? (p31)

A: Each unit can only cause a maximum of one Pinning

test on each enemy unit wounded, per turn, regardless of

the number of wounds caused, unless specifically stated

otherwise."

But... but... *dies a little inside* sniper scouts....? We could stop nids

Yes, and Tau could stunlock everything, all the time, cheaply.

Trust me... its better this way.

Scouts are still great at ripping appart carnifexii.

Page 31 under Pinning: Pinning tests are taken immediately if a unit has an unsaved wound from a Pinning weapon.

Page 44 under Taking Morale Checks - A): Morale checks are taken for casualties at the end of the phase when the casualties were taken.

So, in that case you would check for Pinning after you pull the 25% that missed their saves and then at the end of the phase you check Morale. If you fail that, then you will lose your Pinned status since you will now be falling back...

Mine was in response to this question, so I only needed to talk about Ordnance weapons at that point :P:

If a unit takes 25% casualties from an ordnance weapon, does it take a pinning AND morale test or just pinning?

Archived