DIY chapter Stone Dogs

Moshutta

Hey everyone,

After almost a year of neglect I have gone back into painting to finish my DIY chapter. Last time I posted I didn't have a name for this chapter, just a theme and some ideas. I originally planned a lot more points but have now settled on this small force as I want to start a new project -_-

So, meet the Stone Dogs Chapter ;)

ORIGINS AND HOMEWORLD:

So far I am only establishing that they recruit exclusively from tribal societies and keep a strong connection to their folklore and culture. And I haven't worked their gene-seed or founding yet.

TACTICS:

Due to the nature of their homeworlds they excel at a mechanized "mounted" style of warfare and improvisation, preferring discreet insertion points via thunderhawks and then quietly but swiftly moving in on ground transports to take their targets apart.

The Stone Dogs are know for their near infinite patience and obstinacy in the pursuit of their targets, often behind enemy lines over months or even years at a time. As such they are are experts at ambush style tactics and patiently shadowing movements of much larger enemy forces slowly picking away at the edges seemingly at random but always pushing and forcing their enemies where they want them and then springing their traps with ruthless brutality.

Stone Dogs very seldom make use of drop pods and deep strikes except where tactical situations absolutely call for it.

ORGANIZATION:

Although the Stone Dogs respect the Codex Astartes and its tenets, they follow it's spirit more than it's letter.

The Stone Dogs chapter has no veteran or scout companies, and instead is constituted only of fully operational battle companies each with it's own veterans and scouts which the company veterans and sergeants mentor in their training.

Initiates are stripped of their names and tribal affiliation when joining the chapter, taking on traditional Gothic names, until becoming full battle brothers, when their "true" new name is given after proving themselves worthy in battle. These names follow the tribal traditions of their homeworld, usually describing a particular trait or feat like "NAPAYSHNI" meaning "courageous", or "KAJIKA" which means "walks without sound". Squads are usually named after their sergeant, or in some cases a squad might acquire a specific name after a particular noteworthy or heroic deed.

The Stone Dogs also don't have Chaplains in their ranks their Librarians, referred to as Spirit Listeners, taking on the role of spiritual guidance and ritual observation.

BELIEFS:

Although pragmatic by nature they keep a slightly more superstitious and lore based dogma than most chapters. These pagan beliefs in Space Marine chapters are looked upon with scorn by the Ecclesiarchy, but the Stone Dogs refuse to give up their beliefs.

They call the Emperor "DONEHOGAWA" or "he who guards the gate of sunset" believing that he is the true guardian of all good warrior souls.

gallery_45285_5525_2565138.jpg

Tactical Squad "Samoset" (They who walk over much):

gallery_45285_5525_858758.jpg

Tactical Squad "Ahiga Hakan" (They who fight with fire)

gallery_45285_5525_849144.jpg

Rhino Transport "Apenimon" (Worthy of trust)

gallery_45285_5525_1949492.jpg

Sternguard Squad "Degotoga" (They who stand together)

gallery_45285_5525_162116.jpg

Razorback Transport "Kesegowaase Lansa" (The Swift Lance)

gallery_45285_5525_1140191.jpg

Spirit Listener Vaive Atoish (Epistolary)

gallery_45285_5525_1129753.jpg

I also have a dreadnought, 5 man terminator squad and a 5 scouts in the works and will update soon!

And there it is, I hope you enjoy, and of course any C&C regarding the minis or fluff is welcome!

Cheers

/moshutta

Good looking chapter you have here!

As for the language, native american, am i right? I only think its native american due to the squad name Samoset, he was the first native american to meet with the "pilgrims".

@Chaplain belisarius: thanks!

@Natanael, @Pulse: Yep, well spotted guys on all counts! It's a mix of various native american languages, i.e. Algonquin, Navajo, Seneca, Hopi and Sioux... I thought that as a chapter they would be drawn from many different tribes with the same root, so their names would reflect this. Wanted to keep these as close to the original as possible, all the research is part of the fun :)

Very impressive and nice usage of different languages to build something cohesive - for a geneseed source may I suggest either White Scars or Raven Guard? The former are horse warriors turned mech (although more Mongolian, it is true) whilst the latter are masters of sneaky-sneaky.

These guys look absolutely fantastic, nice one!

A cool concept and a great colour scheme executed with flair and talent :) I would vote White Scars Successors personally.

I noticed the Native American influence, it might be cool to see a bit of that in their iconography and suchlike as well? If this is already there then ignore me but I didn't see much beyond the squad markings and so on.

I assume there's a story behind 'They who walk over much'... can I ask what it is?

• 1 year later...

After a very long break away from the hobby, the stars have finally aligned I have been able to finally continue with my Stone Dogs, yay!!

So, without further ado, here is Tactical Terminator Squad Kuruk "The Proud Bears" lead by sergeant Harvir Kuruk himself:

gallery_45285_5525_554692.jpg

gallery_45285_5525_1182302.jpg

Apologies for the marked drop in image quality compared to the previous ones, I am with a digital camera at the moment and had to use my phone... at night.... in a dark room... in scandinavia... oh well :D

Better quality shots will follow, I promise!

In the meantime, please give me your feedback and comments, after such a long time away I really struggled with painting these minis...

Cheers

/p

Thanks roooooot and NightHunters! :lol:

I totally got a soft spot for halved colour schemes too, but they can certainly test one's patience and motivation!

I got a one of them GW airbrush thingies but I haven't worked out a way to use it to paint halved minis...

I am currently working on the dreadnought; I will definitely post some wip photos when I get home today for you guys ;)

Plus, I still have those 5 scouts to finish and a couple of heavy weapons marines for squad flexibily.

Also, still in their boxes I also have one more rhino and a LS storm that I am also thinking to add to this force, but I think after the dread and scouts I'm gonna declare this force complete for the time being and start on another chapter project that I have had in the back of my head for a long time, but more of that later, one step at a time ;)

Cheers

/p

Wow, thanks for the praise Ch@oZ and Kierdale (your pre-heresy 1k sons are awesome by the way dude!) :D

As promised here's the work in progress shots of the dreadnaught, I have started with the halved basecoat and metal frame and bits.

In case anyone is wondering, the grey half is a mix of boltgun and gunmetal and the brown side I start with dheneb stone and gradually wash with gryphone sepia and build up with more dheneb stone until I get the desired tone.

The chassis subframe I am basecoating with a layer of tin bitz which I will then drybrush with a mix of dwarf bronze and boltgun metal, this (hopefully) will give kind of an aged bronze look... let's see how it goes?

I don't really have a very scientific approach to my painting, it's more of an improvised method, just open a few pots and mix stuff as I feel :)

gallery_45285_3693_573579.jpg

I used some bits from the space wolves terminator sprues to add some "canine" iconography to my dread, the icon on top, the and wolf skull on the shoulder, and I also used the wolf teeth and runes from the terminator assault cannon, I think it did the trick :)

gallery_45285_3693_231788.jpg

Anyway, onwards, I will do some more work on this dread today and tomorrow and try and post another update over the weekend!

Thanks for looking and for all the C&C!

cheers

/p

Archived