Speed Painting Marines

CreganTur

I've been holding onto my AoBR box for a long time now- the Dread's been the only thing out of it I've completed, and that was over a year ago. After watching the Speed Painting tutorial from Miniature Mentor I decided to try out a variation of Thomas David's techniques on my own Ultramarines.

Keeping in style with the Dread means that I'll be painting these guys in a pant scheme inspired by Chris Clayton's unbelievable Ultramarine. I mixed up the armor colors for my airbrush based on Chris' recipes and applied them. I feel like I overapplied the highlight layers, so I wnet back to try to clean them up with a brush which has been a challenge all on its own. The transitions are uneven in the photograph because it's zoomed in so much- they're not nearly as noticable in person. Here's my finished proof of concept piece from the tactical squad:

http://www.stonetowerminiatures.com/albums/blackreach/tacsquad1.jpg

I used a number of the techniques and recipes from Thomas David to finish up this guy- specifically for the metallics. You can see some of the zenithal highlighting on him, but not to the same extent as Thomas' work. The main reson for that is because I applied the armor color straight onto the figure instead of creating a Zenithal highlight layer and then painting over that.

I'm pretty happy with this guy- he only took 3 - 4 hours to complete. I'll be painting up the rest of the squad next exactly the same way as this guy. I'm not going to make any changes to my proces until I get to the Terminators and the Captain- I'll b much more sparing with the highlights which will hopefully make them look better. I also feel more confident with my airbrush after this, which is very good because I'mgoing to try Thomas David's exact process on a commission of Black Orcs I just got in.

Speed painting is 2-5 hours for a 10 man squad. ;) But yeah, he looks pretty nice.

Here is my advice for speed painting (It's for Dark Angels, but what can I say?):

Black spray the model (15ish minutes for 10 guys?)

Once dry, drybrush on a dark green twice. (20-30 minutes)

Once dry, drybrush on a bright green lightly. (20-30)

Once dry, use black to paint weapons, soft armor or whatever. (15-45 minutes)

Once dry, use silver to paint helmets, backpacks and weapons. (15-45 minutes)

Paint the eyes, tactical symbol and weapons red. (20 minutes)

Sketch a DA symbol a couple times before freehanding the symbol on the guys. (10 minutes)

About 2-3 hours for 10 guys, depending on how much I go into detail, they don't look to shabby either!

It depends what quality you aim at.

Im a real perfectionist so i have to stop myself and just leave the bulk of my space marines at gaming standard, otherwise ill never get them done.

It takes me about 4-5 hours to paint 10 marines too, not including drying time.

4-5 hours to paint 10 marines?! :D

You can't be serious! What...what's wrong with me? I take 4-5 hours for 1 marine.

Nothing's wrong with you. Dependent on color scheme and the level of detail and perfection I'm going for, a marine takes me anywhere from 4-5 hours upwards to double that. As a baseline reference, I averaged about 5 hours for each Space Wolf.

To the OP, I think spending a little extra time to push the zenithal highlights would definitely make the model pop a lot more without too much extra work/difficulty.

DV8

4-5 hours to paint 10 marines?! :P

You can't be serious! What...what's wrong with me? I take 4-5 hours for 1 marine.

Hah it all depends what you're painting, and how much detail you're putting in.

I could happily spend 4-5 hours on a marine, especially if it was a colour i disliked painting (So it takes longer) but when i paint tacticals i try to aim for gaming standard. *shrugs*

I could happily spend 4-5 hours on a marine, especially if it was a colour i disliked painting (So it takes longer) but when i paint tacticals i try to aim for gaming standard. *shrugs*

What constitutes "Gaming/Table Top Standard" is always subjective.

DV8

Archived