{ARTWORK} WIP Ultramarine Captain

Mr. Nipples

Whats up Brothers, I have made my return after more than a year, I have a wip right now I'm lookin' to get input on and I have some models to upload later.

I wont ramble, check it out C@C as always.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/sm-3smaller.jpg

This is looking great so far, the brothers behind him give the painting a nice depth and the rendering so far is top notch. I'll definetly check this out as it progresses.

Excellent work! Youre work always makes mine look paltry in comparison :).

I am just wondering, what is your process for shading/painting up a face? I usually build it up by layer of colour, then shade it with an airbrush. It would be nice to know your technique.

I am a little jealous of your skills though :P keep it up!

Don't know why, but (people love to hear phrases like the following, don't they?) he reminds me of Proteus from the Ultramarines movie...

Nice work so far. I wonder what you're going to make of the armour...

Nipples you sexy beast where have you been?

Loving the artwork mate, you seem to have developed since i saw one of your last drawings. The Ultras look fantastic mate, and the early work on the lighting looks great!

I like it. One thing tough; the things beside the head make it look like he is a small guy in a huge suit of armour. It also make it look like his head is pushed forward rather then at a more natural, straight up, position. The head also seems to float a little, not really connected to anything.

Ok, make that three things :lol:

- Natanael

THanks everyone for the input thus far, I appreciate the kind words. I feel personally I nailed the proportions for my liking, I know each artist kinda does his own thing EG" Karl Kopinski and others.

Pulse-I've been attempting to find a job...no avail as of yet. Back to warhammer I come!

Heres a WIP as of tonight, I'm off to bed since my hand hurts (from drawing...you dirty minded people.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/vik-4small.jpg

Pulse-I've been attempting to find a job...no avail as of yet. Back to warhammer I come!

Ah i see, artwork related jobs i hope!

i think the proportions are spot on

Agreed.

The only thing i don't really like is the ribbed material/armour(?) around the neck, i think that looks a little odd. :D

Great Job!

I think the porportions look good abnd in line with how a human being is actually shaped, so nice work there.

I do have to say after watching the Ultramarines flick last night you must be taking some of your cues from there, no? Not that is a bad thing, you should hit them (codex) up for a job, as I feel they need some help tweaking the look they have (faces especially) and what you have here is IMHO were they should be heading.

Look forward to more posts, are you using a drawing pad? which type?

Heres the update as of tonight, check it out :)

Pulse-Your face looks odd! haha I'll make it look right before I finish the piece, I appreciate the input!

Celes-THe armor is a mixture of painted works and textures, don't give up!

Hashshashinihshdnihahsahsh (sp?) THanks! Yes I did watch the ultramarines movie and was less than impressed, I will definitely be sending this to them, the Black library, Fantasy Flight, Forgeworld and GW in the hopes that one of them will be interested in me. I'm using to do this a 12 inch Cintiq on an ASUS G73JH laptop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/vik-5-small.jpg

Heres the update as of tonight, check it out B)

Pulse-Your face looks odd! haha I'll make it look right before I finish the piece, I appreciate the input!

Celes-THe armor is a mixture of painted works and textures, don't give up!

Hashshashinihshdnihahsahsh (sp?) THanks! Yes I did watch the ultramarines movie and was less than impressed, I will definitely be sending this to them, the Black library, Fantasy Flight, Forgeworld and GW in the hopes that one of them will be interested in me. I'm using to do this a 12 inch Cintiq on an ASUS G73JH laptop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/vik-5-small.jpg

Love direction this is going J.

Celes, a couple of things hinder truly amazing artist from having jobs even with really good skills in making the actual art:

Style- The artist might have beautiful works, but if the Art Director of Companies X, Y and don't currently use the artist's style in any of their projects, alternatively they already have enough artists conveying that sort of style, then the artist wont get a job for them.

Speed- If you are slow then chances are you will be beaten to the job by someone faster then you. This is not always the case, people like Dan DosSantos paints a cover during three months and is still so good that he gets the jobs, but usually you're on a deadline that really means you have to be fast. Speed comes with practice, so don't give up.

Reliability- Can the AD's trust you to give them what they want on time? If you, one time, is ahead of schedule and the next is behind then you are less reliable then others.

Concistency- Can the AD's trust you to deliver the same quality every time? Again, developing a style and practicing gives this.

Fear- You need to dare send your works to different AD's. Usually a company will have an email adress set up specifically for artists sending in links to portfolios so they can find the next great artist... Never dare, never win!

VERY few artists are lucky enough to be mysteriously "found". I was gobsmacked when I suddenly had an email from Fantasy Flight Games asking if I wanted to paint somethng for them, because I had never dared to send them anything. I was lucky, most aren't. I don't count on luck for any more jobs. I send portfolios. And practice...all the time.

Cheeky bast! :)

Very much liking him without the imperial eagle on the chest as you can see the patterning much more clearly that you have added to the chest and pauldrons, and it looks fantastic and realistic like the old sets of expensive armour in the mid to late medieval period. Are you going to keep it plain or add something back like a styalized U? I like the latin inscription Invictus as well.

Also really like the size of the grenades you have attached to his "belt", they seem much more in proportion and seem to be realistic considering the size of the Astartes. Great stuff!

Archived