Howling Griffons

Brother Atheos

So christmas got me some gifts i wasn't expecting so i can start getting these bad boys going earlier than expected. Now obviously there is no easy way to do red and yellow quarters but there is this...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/WIPs/hgbd9a.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/WIPs/hgbd9d.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/WIPs/hgbd9c.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/WIPs/hgbd9b.jpg

Those of you with IA9 will have already seen this but i thought it'd be a nice way to get some representation for arguably the most committed of the Emperor's favoured warriors. I'll get some pics of units as and when i get squads built.

So you have trouble with red? Try a white undercoat, howling griffons arent that hard to paint.

It's not so much that i have trouble with the colours, just that they are time consuming and rather laborious. I have the problem of being obsessed with painting to the best of my ability on every mini as well as losing interest if it takes more than X hours to complete. That's why when i saw this it came as a golden opportunity to do something new and different.

Anyways, I've got myself a dev squad assembled and ready to spray. Will get some paint on them then present them for judgment later today.

I agree That looks way, way better then the aged version GW have used for years

How ever there is an easy way to do the old (aged) pattern.

Prime it in yellow, paint the red, wash/dip/stain then detail.

Can't wait to see your army painted.

It's not so much that i have trouble with the colours, just that they are time consuming and rather laborious. I have the problem of being obsessed with painting to the best of my ability on every mini as well as losing interest if it takes more than X hours to complete.

I can attest to that!! :rolleyes:

I've always loved the Howling Griffons and I think the night camo scheme looks great, a full company will look awesome...I am looking forward to seeing your painted models!

Chaplain Hiltraud

Just to point out, dudes, that it isn't a new scheme.

If you gaze once more at the above picture I borrowed from our esteemed Brother, it is the Campaign "camo" choice.

Indeed, i have eyes therefore i can read. :P

it just doesnt feel right...half the appeal of the HG is the bright colour scheme! :P

My biggest appeal is the character of the chapter. They have the vengeful/hunting agenda of the DA but instead of fallen it's WB and the DP Perlictor but at the same time if they hear a cry for help they drop everything and fly to the rescue a la Clark Kent/Superman.

i love their background too....welcome to the chapter! :P

I like the knightly theme they have...

True, but there is a sinister side to them none the less. At the risk of pushing some controversial ideas, they are very much a chapter that thrives from the elimination of 'runts' from their homeworld(s). The feudal nature means that the weak and downtrodden will disappear and the most powerful will claim control over the forges etc. The chapters very own librarium scour the planets searching for low grade psykers and systematically wipes them out. They don't fight for humanity like the salamanders whose idea that 'every life is sacred' could arguably place them in a much more noble and knightly position. They fight for power, control and glory and should peace ever be seen in the galaxy i could very well see them becoming one of the more closely scrutinised chapters. After all, what use is a warrior without a war to fight.

They fight for power, control and glory

That pretty much epitomises most Knights of the Medieval period, from about 1000 -1450s.

Very true but most people consider knights to be good, merciful, and noble warriors due to their portrayals in various fantasy roles. Their motives may be grounded in these ideals but their execution is far from it.

Anyway, with regards to the painting. I tried to highlight the black with shadow grey and a dash of SWG but if i'm honest i'm far from happy with not only the look of it but also how well i painted it, far too chunky and in your face for my tastes. The idea was that the blue will fit nicely with the red and yellow of the shoulder pads and wouldn't get lost with the white trims and veteran helmets. I think i'll start again and use codex

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/WIPs/wip1hg.jpg

I think that pretty much shows what i mean.

• 1 month later...
i love their background too....welcome to the chapter! :)

I like the knightly theme they have...

True, but there is a sinister side to them none the less. At the risk of pushing some controversial ideas, they are very much a chapter that thrives from the elimination of 'runts' from their homeworld(s). The feudal nature means that the weak and downtrodden will disappear and the most powerful will claim control over the forges etc. The chapters very own librarium scour the planets searching for low grade psykers and systematically wipes them out. They don't fight for humanity like the salamanders whose idea that 'every life is sacred' could arguably place them in a much more noble and knightly position. They fight for power, control and glory and should peace ever be seen in the galaxy i could very well see them becoming one of the more closely scrutinised chapters. After all, what use is a warrior without a war to fight.

Got a monty python flashback right here, just imagining lots of little Nocturnians walking around singing "Every sperm is sacred!"

:)

My biggest appeal is the character of the chapter. They have the vengeful/hunting agenda of the DA but instead of fallen it's WB and the DP Perlictor but at the same time if they hear a cry for help they drop everything and fly to the rescue a la Clark Kent/Superman.

They killed Perlictor.

Archived