Swamp bases

Vindicatus

A friend of mine in Florida commissioned me to paint up some of his Chaos Terminators, and while I wait for them to arrive through the mail (sometime next year, I imagine), I decided to see what I could do to make a base a little more...Nurgle-y.

I took a wide base and hit it up with random drops and crossings of PVA, then covered it with sand. I then did a few more drops of PVA in random spots, and covered that with sand to create uneven terrain. Letting it dry overnight, I then painted the open pools with varying mixtures of Vallejo Jade Green and Turquoise to create the right sort of murky, slimy water effect necessary for a fetid swamp.

Letting that dry, I took some MiG Oil and Grease stain, and soaked my brush, then touched it along the sand to let it seep in. The stuff works wonderfully in that it spreads across the sand and pools itself right at the edges of the recesses where the actual paint is. Next, I poured water effects gel into the pools, connecting some of the larger ones to the smaller ones, and ensuring that I had a nice, even coat all the way around. After about ten minutes to let it cure a bit, I took a needle-point syringe and blew air bubbles into it, which will settle when it dries completely.

Below is the base, though the effects gel is uncured and thus, still a little on the white and chalky side.

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n528/Vindicatus_133/014-1.jpg

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n528/Vindicatus_133/015-1.jpg

Feedback is appreciated :D

This is actually just a mock up. He asked me if I could do swampland bases, so I decided to take a spare, larger one and throw caution to the wind.

I'm still waiting for a reply back from him to see what he thinks, but I think it's a pretty good go for round one. As far as putting it all together though, it didn't really take a whole lot of time (aside from the whole drying thing) Painting it took about ten minutes, soaking the sand took about three, and putting down the effects gel+blowing bubbles took about 15 or so. Do the same thing on a terminator base, and it'll go a lot quicker.

Swampyness to me is always greens and the odd blue. But otherwise, very clever and a nice result.

Depends on what world your currently on, it is pretty safe to say not every environment is the same as Earth (Terra).

Archived