Land Speeders

captain sox

Hello Everyone!

I'm trying to put the final pieces of my All New 1500 point All - Comers 'Scout' list together.

I'm always looking for unique ways of putting a list together. I've done 10 Terminators (which is fun, but has some serious drawbacks) 3 Whirlwinds as a suppression force, and now I've thought about Speeders.

My list is a Shrike based, with the following:

10 Man Sniper Squad with Telion and Missile Launcher

10 Man Close Comabt Squad with PF and Combi-Flamer on Sergeant

10 Man Close Combat Squad with PF and Multi-Melta, Melta Bombs

10 Man Bolter Squad with Heavy Bolters and Sergeant with Combi-Plasma

Land Speeder Storm and Squad: With Multi-Melta, Sergeant with Combi-Melta and Melta Bombs

Land Speeder Storm and Squad: With Heavy Flamer, Sergeant with Combi-Flamer

Now I was thinking about adding a Squad of Land Speeders, just to have more fast attack goodness... But which ones?

A Squad of Typhoons would be cool, sitting back and firing Frags or Kraks, or I could beef up my Melta, or I could go with Tornado's.

What would you add to help this list??

PS: Happy Christmas to ALL! I hope the day was great for everyone!

The general rule is that Typhoons can come in squadrons, due to be a long range vehicle and being able to use the squadron rules to get cover and so offset the more severe damage rolls this forces on you.

Tornados with MM + HF need to be kept as singles. The closer you go, the harder it is to hide from stuff. Also you might need 2+ Krak missiles on a target but you wouldn't want one lot of 2x MM, but you might want two lots of 1x MM.

The idea is *overkill*

You don't want to be putting 200 pts of MM death onto something. It might be worthwhile against a Land Raider, but how about when you have to kill pesky Rhinos?

However 2 Krak missiles are no guarantee of taking out a Rhino, so you can go up to 4.

Likewise, from a defensive standpoint, the more MSU [multiple small units] you can bring against you foe, the better. Your foes Predator Annihilator will possibly have enough shooting to kill two Speeders with a single volley. By having two in a unit, you have allowed his shooting to be killing efficiently, whereas before, he'd only killed that one Speeder dead-dead.

I hope I have gotten this across successfully. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, and thanks for the reply.

Nobody seems to favour the Multi-Melta/Assault Cannon variant of the Speeder. Is this a viable option or is it really a point sink for it's usefulness.

BTW I built 2 Typhoons which are awesome. I'm hooked on Speeders now.

The AC on speeders in general isn't really priced well IMO. Assault cannons are -good- weapons, but not generally 40 pts good IMO.

I'm glad you went with the typhoons, as you have a little melta but no longrange AT to speak of for rhino busting. They were the logical choice IMO, and should support the list well with anti light to heavy infantry fire and anti light to medium vehicle fire.

Multi-melta in a Scout squad, I hope you mean combi-melta ^_^.

The list looks solid, you've got a bit of melta there, though by the looks of it only one of them isn't a combi, meaning that if that first shot misses or fails you've only got one BS4 melta. However, if you use the LSS to take out targets early on you should be fine. So I'd agree with a squad of Typhoons being a good buy, as they can contribute to killing vehicles alongside Telion's squad's missile launcher. I myself used to use Typhoons, but found them underwhelming. Of course, I used them in two squadrons of one, but now I'm considering a new list where I use them as a squadron of 2 alongside my 2 rifleman Dreads, so I'm hoping that'll help for me.

For the rest of the list, if I were you I'd use two LSS with multi-melta, combi-melta, meltabombs, and have combi-flamers in the normal Scout squad with combat weapons. However, that's what I'd do, and there's not much wrong in the list, so if you want just go for the Typhoons.

Archived