Heavy Support Choices

LardO'Blood

Ok guys, my collection lacks a lot of ranged firepower so I'm looking for a way to complement it. Given the list below, what do you think I should purchase to complement the ranged firepower both my Deathwing/Greenwing (C:DA mixture of PA marines and Deathwing) force and my Green Marines (C:SM) force? I was thinking either: A dreadnought with TLLC/ML, a predator or a devastator squad.

HQ:

Azrael/Captain/Chapter Master with combi plasma and power sword/Relic blade

Chaplain (barebones)

Librarian (barebones)

5 honor guard, 1 is a champion with relic blade, 1 has a banner

Troops: (In the non FOC way)

21 bolter marines

2 flamer marines

1 plasma gun marine

3 missile launcher marines

2 robed bolter marines

1 robed flamer marine

1 robed combi-plasma marine

sergeant with powersword and bolt pistol

sergeant with powerfist and bolter

sergeant with bolter and CCW

sergeant with plasma pistol and CCW

2 terminator sergeants

2 AC/PF terminators

2 CF/SB terminators

3 SB/PF terminators

1 SB/PF/Narthecium terminator

**Deathwing Banner that can be attached to any base**

Armor:

Land Raider

Land Raider Crusader

Venerable Dreadnought, MM and SB

Dreadnought, MM and SB

**I know I need to get a rhino or two, I'm working on it**

I was thinking either: A dreadnought with TLLC/ML, a predator or a devastator squad

3 fine choices! I think id have to second meatman and say a pred, always a good source of whatever you need given the freedom of loadouts. Adaptability is useful, dread is also good in that front. But definately predator for the ranged firepower you want!

Id say a pair of Razorbacks- they provide some extra Anti Armor punch with TLLC, and you can switch out the top plates for rhino hatches without a fuss.

If thats a bit out of your price range then a Dreadnaught for sure- 4 arm swaps means you can play around with it a bit and find the exact combo for you, though I cannot stress enough what a good deal venerable is at 20pts and how useful the heavy flamer is *if you keep the DCCW of course*.

Friend, when the man says hes playing C:DA I talk to him about C:DA, ya'hear?

Well, he didn't exactly say he was playing C:DA. He just said Deathwing/Greenwing models. However, it is pretty logical to assume C:DA. :P

The predator is a fine choice and you can magnetize it to swap out your weapons. Here is a good discussion about predator load outs. Basically the dakka pred (Heavy Bolter sponsoons and Autocannon) or the combi pred (Lascannon sponsoons and autocannon). They'll give you some nice long range support to compliment a Ravenwing.

EDIT: Deathwing != Ravenwing. I blame the egg nog

The venerable for C:SM is a 60pt upgrade not 20, not sure about other dexes though

Friend, when the man says hes playing C:DA I talk to him about C:DA, ya'hear?

Yes yes, I don't know much about C:DA so I gave what info I knew :teehee:

Id say a pair of Razorbacks- they provide some extra Anti Armor punch with TLLC, and you can switch out the top plates for rhino hatches without a fuss.

+1, you need transports for all of those power armoured folks

Agreed. You want the mobility as well as the firepower.

Dakka Predators (AC/2xHB) are a good, cheap, long ranged fire support as well.

Especially with C:SM, Land Speeder Typhoons (though fast attack) are the bee's knees.

Keep in mind that objective based games will require you to close with the enemy, so don't discount high firepower 24" range units either. Vindicators are good as well.

Hmm, with a LRC I'd have to go with a vindicator. The vindi is threatening enough to draw fire away from the LRC and if visa versa, then your enemy has to deal with a strength 10 pie plate on his model's heads. Hard to choose which one to dedicate fire to.

EDIT: Also, their range bubbles synergise well with each other. You can even hide the vindi behind your LRC until you unleash all hell upon your foe.

If you're going to spend the points for the long ranged varient of the land raider, then the best type of armor to compliment it would be the inexpensive dakka predator. The LR pops the transports (or any other juicy vehicular threat) whilst the dakka pred shreds the infantry. These two synergise well in the back field.

I guess it depends on what type of list you want to make and your play style as well.

Considering he's using Codex: Dark Angels, Typhoons are horrible. Their missile launcher is S5 AP5 Twin-linked Small Blast and you can only take one in a squad,

He also mentioned using the same models for a C:SM army as well.

Archived