My first Model/Paint

PsY Crash

Ok everyone, keep in mind this is my absolute first model, and absolute FIRST time painting..... anything.... ever....

got this awesome model for christmas. and wanted to get to it really badly so i only have limited resources at my house since im snowed in i could only use certain colors and whatnot.

the only paints i have available are some acrylics from walmart that my mother used for canvas painting... not very ideal but i think its pretty decent for a total newbie. tell me what you guys think!

Photos taken with my cell phone, they arent great as they dont show some of the highlighting that ive done, so keep that in mind please.

http://www4.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/eb2a7f87ed8581b67be7cd10264f87f7d2cd27dc0ef4013de4617ca73fa336943g.jpg

- my terminator chaplain, alot of the highlighting i did doesnt show but im quite pleased

with the way the front came out. im not sure if i will actually field this model for my blood

angels army but i will decide once i get my hands on the codex and form some strategies.

http://www3.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/95a2356f3987ba8e93c3d8b90b107de62e45c0f32f57e3eab38d2528001d57f53g.jpg

- terminator honors in a death company style. this may change once i get better at painting

http://www0.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/01df663343eaa34758e42012c154561c26ddca06f3f3c2482b510808fb120d353g.jpg

- notice lack of highlighting and definition of the parchment tabard, i figured that it would be

largely darkened with shadow here that i didnt do much

http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/8bdf1965c73f5c6679ee5aeff3b867dccdeaae9a07cd2c4be454ca0d2afe29063g.jpg

- i realize that the purity seals are not painted here, but im not completely sure what i want to do

with the storm bolter so i decided to stop where i was until i decided what i wanted to do.... also i have

no silver type of paint so i left this largely untouched.

- the blood drop will probably change to the drop with wings icon, but im bad with freehand and the drop

has a lil chunky bit at the top i dont particularly like, but ill probably clean it up with a small swipe of red.

You and I have a similar story as my first mini was the awesome Terminator Chaplain as well.

Yours also came out pretty good from what I can see in the pics. For the Purity seals I have red ones on a red bolter on mine. Just use a different kind of red when you can go pick up some more paint or go ahead an try mixing (black and red for example for a darker look). And a black blood drop with wings? Blood Angel?

That's better than my first model, a boring old marine. And probably better than any of my current models, too. Great job!

Thank you :huh: so ive gotten the bug, i currently have way too much money tied up in bids on ebay for more minis.....

Great painted for a first model, looking forward to see more.

Thank you very much, the comments im reading is definately encouraging me to get more minis and paint them up. just won an ebay auction for 12 tac marines.... i will be uploading pics as soon as i get them and get them painted.

ok so i did some touchups today, and i have to say im becoming more and more pleased with this model. here are some updated pics.

http://www3.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/b857f7f650896757ce501476b99619d81b559622f56c776585a4c5ec4c287b563g.jpg

- ok so i did ALOT of rework here, notice i added red eyes, red

blood drop on the forehead, i bronzed the little skele on the front

chest, and bronzed the gilding around his head. i also bronzed the

small rivets and bits on the legs and shoulders. you can also see i

redid the crozius with a red interior and red handle. added a red

bangle to his forearms. and tidied up the jewel. i also added a bit of

red to the wings icon on his left leg.

http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/51e574ce26a876aab1689f03ca1fe75d604bbb767e62f38b1e8d8b83226e9af43g.jpg

- I completely repainted the terminator honors here.and i think they

look a bit cleaner. you can also see a bit more of the red i added to the

crozius. also painted the purity seals.

(as im looking at the pic now i can see a couple small things i overlooked.)

http://www1.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1cdd13f49bbc5ce3b6f99d3c13a30921b405e2ccec0f2ea115f39968752736f13g.jpg

- i cleaned up some blotchy paint i had gotten into places it didnt belong.

added some grey highlighting to the raised bits on the back of the legs. you

can also see a bit of the rework i did to the right shoulder pad. added bronze

to the upper dressing. (please disregard my dirty fingers >.>)

http://www1.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/2215acaa5bb8300eebd023bf565b6c52f87cbeb711a5fff8b25a66c7a53aa7bf3g.jpg

- I completely redid this entire arm. notice the cleaner shoulder blood drop.

added bronze to the skele here as well.added red to the wristguard with bronzed

rivets. painted the hose grey, finished the bolter and purity seals. added red to the elbow,

and a bronze bit for the bendy thingy. you cant see it too well but the bolter and

purity seals are different shades of red. (thank you hushrong)

any more comments regarding my reworked paint? i need criticisms and comments. as this is my first mini, i want to know where i need to improve because i plan on having very stunning models once i have the skill. :lol:

and as always thank you for the encouragement and comments so far. i really love the attitudes and opinions of the users on these boards.

p.s. i found my HD camera, and as soon as i dig myself out of this blizzard ill go get some batteries and upload some good pics.

Firstly really good job for your first mini. It's really difficult to see any detail on the mini due to the pics although the painting looks really clean.

The red looks a little flat and could maybe do with some highlighting, perhaps a bit of orange on the raised areas. I think I preferred the crozius all bronze, and also the crozius looks a little bent. Lastly a browny wash on the white wings would look good.

My advice however would be to leave this mini and go onto another one otherwise you might rework it so much that you make it worse ;) You can always come back to it when you're a kick ass painter :cuss

Firstly really good job for your first mini. It's really difficult to see any detail on the mini due to the pics although the painting looks really clean.

The red looks a little flat and could maybe do with some highlighting, perhaps a bit of orange on the raised areas. I think I preferred the crozius all bronze, and also the crozius looks a little bent. Lastly a browny wash on the white wings would look good.

My advice however would be to leave this mini and go onto another one otherwise you might rework it so much that you make it worse :D You can always come back to it when you're a kick ass painter :mellow:

haha yea the crozius is bent, my daughter ran into me while i was holding the poor mini and i dropped him. i left it because i have a tendency to make things worse when fixing things. i would add orange highlights and whatnot but i only have like 4 paints and i couldnt get a decent looking mix without it looking pinkish. ill certainly add more to it when i pick up more paints.

thats honestly the first model you painted? very good...ive been doing this for ages and none of mine look that good! :)

thank you very much. and yes its my first mini. and really its the first thing ive painted ever. i get paid tomorrow so im thinking of running up to the local game shop and see if i cant bring home another mini or two to paint up. and since i found my camera, ill buy some batteries so i can take better pics.

Have you compiled an army list that you would like to do or are you going to get some minis and collect them for fun at the moment? Go get those batteries so we can see some higher quality pics and hope you find a cool mini or two to paint up. I for one have been eyeing Lemartes to paint up...

Have you compiled an army list that you would like to do or are you going to get some minis and collect them for fun at the moment? Go get those batteries so we can see some higher quality pics and hope you find a cool mini or two to paint up. I for one have been eyeing Lemartes to paint up...

i dont have an army list as of yet, i have a few ideas though but i do not have the codex yet. or the main rule book. or anything else i really need to play. but after watching some how to videos and some strat videos im really liking the blood angels and their fluff. as far as army list goes im seriously open to suggestions. so anything you guys recommend will probably make it to my table. im a HUGE fan of dreadnoughts and an even huger fan of furiosos....... i like death company and im aware of how black rage works and all that. but im not too sure how many i would like to use yet. im a big fan of terminators as well. so hit me up with lists if you guys want to suggest any.

ill also be buying minis to paint just because i like them. so even tho i may paint them up like BA's i may not ever field them.

Very good start. A lot of metal models have bent parts, easy to straighten out. In terms of painting there are a number of things you can do.

Most important (for me) is thin your paints. Il not give you a ratio as you should experiment. But i get mine to a thin milky consistency, best mixed on a pallet with wells.

Just layer the paint up building up a good covering.

If you like the BA then get them-you need the rulebook and the BA codex first. any chance of some more models? :P

yes! i bought an assault squad today (had to drive 2 hours to a decent hobby shop in dover, DE)and some more paints. forgot to pick up yellow and green tho ;) ill be picking them up tomorrow for sure.

Very good start. A lot of metal models have bent parts, easy to straighten out. In terms of painting there are a number of things you can do.

Most important (for me) is thin your paints. Il not give you a ratio as you should experiment. But i get mine to a thin milky consistency, best mixed on a pallet with wells.

Just layer the paint up building up a good covering.

will do, once i get this combat squad painted up ill be uploading more pics. got some batteries for my camera so expect some better resolution for all of them.

Your enthusiasm bids me respond.

I think you should be very proud of your first model.

My first were all aboard failbus, but I started painting as an impatient teen.

I wonder however if you are painting straight from the pot? (or it might just be the paint you are using) Generalist cliche advice incoming! So ideally you have GW or Vallejo paint, you load some on the brush and you paint it on the palette (like a ceramic tile or as I use the glossy box the minis come in) and then you add a small amount of water to it. (especially as paints get older and become more gluggy). This way you paint job doesn't look to thick. From what I can see this would help you with the bastard colours like red and white, where often it is best to do two or more thin coats rather then one thick one.

Washes once you know how to use them are also a great and easy way to add definition to flat colours. The idea with these is to dab them one rather then paint them on.

Since I am assuming you are new, I'll direct you to a resource you might not know about.

This guy has painting videos on youtube. And I personally found watching how he does stuff to be an eye opener. Even if you don't use his exact methods it may be a help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob?blend=6&ob=4

Good luck and have fun.

Your enthusiasm bids me respond.

I think you should be very proud of your first model.

My first were all aboard failbus, but I started painting as an impatient teen.

I wonder however if you are painting straight from the pot? (or it might just be the paint you are using) Generalist cliche advice incoming! So ideally you have GW or Vallejo paint, you load some on the brush and you paint it on the palette (like a ceramic tile or as I use the glossy box the minis come in) and then you add a small amount of water to it. (especially as paints get older and become more gluggy). This way you paint job doesn't look to thick. From what I can see this would help you with the bastard colours like red and white, where often it is best to do two or more thin coats rather then one thick one.

Washes once you know how to use them are also a great and easy way to add definition to flat colours. The idea with these is to dab them one rather then paint them on.

Since I am assuming you are new, I'll direct you to a resource you might not know about.

This guy has painting videos on youtube. And I personally found watching how he does stuff to be an eye opener. Even if you don't use his exact methods it may be a help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob?blend=6&ob=4

Good luck and have fun.

thank you very much. and thank you for the tips. i realized that its the paints i am using. the walmart acrylic just dont cut it. they are designed for canvas painting and as such are alot thicker and dont dilute well. i picked up some vallejo reds from that hobby shop in dover and let me tell you its an amazing difference. i think im better than the paint was letting me believe. the only problem is i didnt pick up any yellow, so my assault marine sergeant looks amazing except for his helm. and as for awesomepaintjob, i have been watching his videos and alot of the beastsofwar.com videos to get some techniques down.

Archived