Summoners + Truescale Death Watch Marines

Doghouse

Very good Apostle Doghouse, now my personal opinion is of course that he could use some more seals and perhaps a book to keep track of deals made with beings of the empyrean and notes of wrongs and slights against him :)

TDA

Thanks mate. Yeah I can stick some more seals on him no problem.

I was going to chuck one of the GK books on him but figured that it'd make for a cool idea to having him hunt around for copy of the Book of Lorgar so that he can be a proper Dark Apostle. What I'll do is make objective markers out the books I do have.

Obviously he's never heard of amazon... :D

Brilliant! :D

I've been thinking of collecting a bunch of books and scrolls together for an objective as well. After all, knowledge is power. Who knows what treasure such hallowed tomes can direct you to? ;)

TDA

Yeah that's my thinking exactly. :mellow:

Here's a quick update, nearly finished barring a little clean up work.

http://i53.tinypic.com/zva5aw.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/16i8i91.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/23k8cps.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/x4nkvn.jpg

Woah, very very awesome. Looks a lot better with the added seals etc.

The Assault insignia is also ace, love the weathering effect on that. Did you just paint over the decal or scratch the decal itself?

Once again, awesome work. :mellow:

Ahhh at long last....the LAND RAIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks awesomr Doghouse! Talk about whetting the appetite, when will the next stage be done?! Any intention of adding some electronics to it like LEDs? I like the look of the assault astartes, those jump packs are only available from the Raptors kit yes? They do look awesome! Hope FW can reproduce some??? Cant wait to see how the rest of your TS squad comes along :mellow:

Cheers guys! :HQ:

AridMonk: Normally I don't use decals but had this spare one from the FW Iron Hands sheet and it seemed to fit pretty well. I just painted over it with the base coat so that it looked like it'd taken a few scratches and knocks.

Dorns padawan: The next stage on the LR will be completed as soon as my thumb heals so that I can chop up the plasticard. For the time being I've just got 50 30mm bases today and the parts for the first thirty guys are starting to trickle in.

In the meantime I'm going to crack on with the Raptor squad, I'm going for a five man Word Bearer squad with a Night Lord thrown in, maybe as the squad leader. I'll probably be doing them all in Mk IV armour as I've just got hold of nine of the plastic Mk IV heads, I may pop the head of the DW Templar and replace it with a crusader helmet so that I can do a ten men in full Mk IV.

I don't think that FW will ever produce raptor packs, but they are cheaper by about six quid than the FW ones if you are just after the jump packs. The FW ones have the added advantage of getting five cool Mk II or Mk V marines with them though.

The Raptor jump packs come with the chaos raptors in the finecast material, yeah everything in this will be truescale. ;)

I've not been able to work on the board because I can't do any cutting at the moment but did mark out the communications trench on the second section. I'm going to try and get the lord finished then see what else I can do. Thumb has nearly healed so should be able to crack on once the rest of the bits arrive.

It doesn't look that different than above but I've finished and varnished the lord and added some water effects to the base.

One down...forty to go...

http://i52.tinypic.com/xehqpw.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/294nihc.jpg

@Doghouse - I must say firstly - you have inspired me greatly and spurred me into action of testing this here True-Scale Magic haha, one question - with your GS bodies, do you have a normal SM body/torso underneath or is it fully GS'd??

Russ Brother 92

Excellent stuff! :D

There are a number of different ways that I make the torsos on these guys but in this case I have used a regular space marine torso stuck on terminator legs then sculpted over the top. In brief you sculpt around the midsection, then add the top half of the torso then the belt.

Generally speaking it is easier to sculpt over existing parts like the regular marine arms and torsos like I have with these guys because it makes life easier with areas like the neck and hands.

The arms are a particular good example because they are at the right length so you don't need lengthen them and the hands look better. You also get a better selection of choices in positions. A lot of people use the terminator arms but you just don't get the same range of movement.

I'll have to update my tutorial but there are techniques in there that should help.

The Aspiring Apostle looks great as usual Doghouse. I really like the addition on the Imperial Fist helmet on the base. The chipping looks really good on the blue sections but doesn't stand out too much on the grey areas. I don't know if that is intentional or not, it could also be that it doesn't photograph easily. It just looks a little "off" to me but I still like him.

Great mini Doghouse, the pose and the upscaling are excellent. The paint is great also, but I would have added a glaze color on the metal armor, cause it look a bit... monochrome. A brown or blue wash in the shadows would add a little life maybe ?

Anyway, it's just a detail :)

Excellent stuff! :P

There are a number of different ways that I make the torsos on these guys but in this case I have used a regular space marine torso stuck on terminator legs then sculpted over the top. In brief you sculpt around the midsection, then add the top half of the torso then the belt.

Generally speaking it is easier to sculpt over existing parts like the regular marine arms and torsos like I have with these guys because it makes life easier with areas like the neck and hands.

The arms are a particular good example because they are at the right length so you don't need lengthen them and the hands look better. You also get a better selection of choices in positions. A lot of people use the terminator arms but you just don't get the same range of movement.

I'll have to update my tutorial but there are techniques in there that should help.

Thanks Doghouse - all this True-Scale and DW work is gearing my mind into making one of my own - once I have the resources I'll put it up on here aka WIP :) - already sorted the various chapters as well haha

Cheers guys! ;)

Russ Brother 92: No problem mate, best of luck with them. ;)

One-eye: Yeah I think that's just my painting style I guess, the photos don't really do them any favours either. :P

mikhail: I think it's the angles of the photos, this guy is really hard to take a decent picture of with my camera. I think the weathering shows up better on the blue as well though.

This next guy is the aspiring champion for the Raptors. I'm aiming for a Night Lord leading the squad armed with lightening claws.

The idea behind this guy is that if you imagine that you are a guardsman stood in a trench fighting in the defence of your world. There are explosions, gunfire, smoke and the clamor of battle raging all around you when in the distance you see this monster with blooded claws standing over the ruined remains of members of your regiment. He turns his head and looks straight at you raising a single claw and points directly at you, out of the thousands of soldiers fighting by your side this creature has singled you out.

The head is just a temporary fix for now as I have some FW Mk V's in the post.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vmggg7.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/73ey5h.jpg

The ones I got are ok but not great in some respects. Most of them have little areas where details are clumps of the resin where the detail has been lost, the skull on the aspiring champion is missing most of the lower jaw detail and one of the heads is basically a block on one side with no eye detail. The surface texture is a bit chalky and rough on some of the armoured plates. As I only need them for parts they suit my needs though.

They just keep getting better & better Doghouse, have to say thus far, I am a HUGE fan of your NL true scale mini's!!! I get a feeling you have recently read one of A D-B's NL books???? I would pay very hansomly to see you replicate First Claw in true scale!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Thanks mate! :)

No I haven't read any of the Night Lord books but I get the feeling that I should from what people have told me. I really enjoyed First Heretic so chances are I'm going to enjoy those as well.

I'm not sure who First Claw is but I could probably have a bash at him for the army as a "guest star" if he's an established BL character. :lol:

Edit: Ah, just did a search. It's a company not a person. :P

I'll see what I can do, I'll need to read the books for their descriptions but can't see why I can't make them into a squad of marines for the army.

Edited by Doghouse

Cheers guys! :)

As far as the back story goes a lot of the time it's just make it up as I go to fit with what I'm making.

For the apostle it was a case of wanting to remake my old second ed Word Bearer lord in truescale, then I thought to myself it'd be cool to see him in pre-heresy colours. After a bit of thought I realised that they most likely fought in the red armour during the heresy so I needed a reason to have him in the grey.

I've always liked minor characters because you can do so much more with them as they have so little an impact on the 40k universe so I figured that the best way of doing him was to have him as a battle brother that was on a personal mission to become a chaplain.

So the idea formed that he and the company that he was fighting with were far from Calth when the order to attack the Ultramarines came. By the time they got there the battle was under way and they joined in the attack still in the grey armour.

During the battle the chaplain is attacked by an Ultramarines assault company captain but is saved by the battle brother only to have him turn on the chaplain and kill him with his own crozius. I then needed a reason for the apostle to keep the grey armour so had him vow to only adopt the red when he gets his hands on a copy of the Book of Lorgar that all WB chaplains carry.

In addition to taking the Chaplain's Crozius he took the right greave and elbow plate of the slain ultramarine's armour to repair his own, partially for practical reasons, partially to rub their faces in it and also took his custom wrist mounted combi-bolter.

So you've got all the elements that I needed to make the character work in one short little story. You don't have to do anything like this but a little narrative helps breath a little life into your army and makes them coherent to a common theme.

as you discovered first claw is a squad of marines lead by talos. I'll hit you up with a msg later today showing artwork of them at their newest point. their all pretty sick even the astral claw thats with them. I look forward to your nightlords as I've been playing with your truescal idea to build my own. this will be excellent.