Summoners + Truescale Death Watch Marines

Doghouse

Cheers guys! :)

Brother Melice: Nice one, looking forward to seeing them mate! :rolleyes:

NightHunters: Yeah you gotta love servo skulls! :D

Time for an update of sorts.

I've started work on the Dark Apostle but am taking a slightly different approach than most. For a start I'm sticking with the original grey of the legion rather than the rather nice red mainly so that the blue of the ultramarine armour contrasts better but also to re-enforce the old era feel of the guy.

The general idea is that during the latter days of the crusade this guy and his men were tied up in some distant region of space when the heresy broke. I'm not certain at what point the entire legion adopted the crimson but this guy clearly missed out on it. :D

The idea behind behind this guy is that he and his warband are still knocking about in the present forty kay and having fallen far from grace he and his men are forced to scavenge what parts they can get their hands on. The most recent victim has been a member of an Ultramarines assault squad from whom he has acquired his new leg armour and jump pack. I'd rather use one of the new FW jump packs for the older look but to be honest this one will do at a pinch.

I'm using charadon granite for the armour because it is a nice slate grey colour and have basecoated his skin in tallarn flesh rather than tanned flesh so that I can get a nice pale look to the skin.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2hnas7t.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2jfg1t0.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/15ouogn.jpg

Cheers guys! :P

Brother Melice: The Dark Apostles are sort of like evil Chaplains that lead the warhosts of the Word Bearers.

Terminatorinhell: Not a fan of BA then? :)

I'm toying around with a second one but going full on crimson armour, I think if I do more I'll have a mish mash of those that have the full crimson and those that are making do with bits they have scavenged so it looks like this guy has beaten the leaders of other warbands and absorbed their numbers into his own.

Dark Apostle Thirst: Yeah it still needs loads of weathering and I think I'm going to debase it in some way using chaos runes. I've just added some spikes to the top of the pack along with a skull to make it less imperial looking. Ideally I need a sort of worn corrupted look to the Imperial bits. I want it to look like the Imperial bits are quite a recent addition after his victory over an Ultramarines Assault Squad marine, he may be a dark apostle but in the greater scheme of things he's still quite a small fish and probably only got to where he is by betraying his former superior.

Don't worry mate I am still working on the DW but am painting this guy in the downtime. It's just to stop me burning out on sculpting. :)

I'm currently reworking the chest on the apothecary as I'm not overly happy with the skull and am instead going for more of an aquilla style design.

I got a suggestion for you, instead of going for an aquilla, or a scull, (all of which are somewhat a cliche) sculpt the rod of Asclepius, (the stylized DNA symbol of the Apothecarion) on his chest plate... and the wings will work great with the design.

Any chance I can talk youinto including a guy with a head of a Gorgon in the team???? :cuss :D :D

I got a suggestion for you, instead of going for an aquilla, or a scull, (all of which are somewhat a cliche) sculpt the rod of Asclepius, (the stylized DNA symbol of the Apothecarion) on his chest plate... and the wings will work great with the design...

+1

I hate Word Bearers with all my Ultramarine soul... nothing good can be said about that model! xDDD

Edited by Kay

I have to say, every time I come back to look at your blog/thread I'm always amazed by your work. Incredibly impressive to look at! Can't wait to see what you do next with the death watch squad.

Do you mind if I ask how you made the blue on the Dark Apostle? It looks really nice (as does the rest of the model so far)

Thanks mate. :devil:

The blue was just regular ultramarines blue over black as the basecoat then I went over this with UM blue with a little white mixed in, gradually mixing in more white and more water as I highlighted the armour. I then shaded and went over the joins using watered down badab black and added a little gryphonne sepia to the joints of the armour.

Got a bit more done on the Word Bearer. Decided that there was far too much blue on the model and have begun to limit the Ultramarine parts to the lower leg and the left elbow.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2wbwzuw.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/11kgq5h.jpg

Thanks mate, I'm really enjoying making this guy. :)

Been doing a little bit of thinking and although I'm focusing on the DW team for the time being as I only have about a month to get them ready I'm getting into the idea of making a small chaos warband as well now.

I'm going to expand on the idea that I touched on earlier and sort of make them into the dark counterparts of the DW team. So in short you have the word bearers guy who served as a regular battle brother during the heresy, basically he kills the champion leading his warhost and they fragment into much smaller warbands.

What I'm thinking of doing is making it so this guy hasn't got a copy of the book of Lorgar and so is gathering his forces so that he can challenge one of the more powerful Dark Apostles and take his trappings of office.

For the warband, that will be a single squad to begin with, I'm going to make lesser champions from other legions and renegade chapters in the same way that I have a mix of loyalist marines in the DW squad. So you'll have say a World Eaters marine, a Sons of Malice marine, a Death Guard marine, etc, all being outcasts from their parent legions/chapters and waiting for a chance to overthrow the WB and take control of the warband themselves. I think this might make for a more interesting little force rather than have all word bearers or all world eaters for example.

Yet another little update...

Got a bit more done on the WB guy and have started what will be a World Eater marine in pre-heresy colours rather than the red.

http://i52.tinypic.com/6r4rgn.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/23h92q8.jpg

and have started what will be a World Eater marine in pre-heresy colours rather than the red.

I suspect you rather like the original legion's colour schemes? :)

The Dark Apostle looks much better with less Ultramarine colours on it. I also just noticed the free-handed Legion Symbol :) Quite amazing.

Thanks mate. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I like the post heresy colours but like the idea of not everyone playing ball and sticking to the older legions colour schemes. It also sort of fits in with the idea that some of the campaigning forces might not have been resupplied during the heresy or that they have to make do with older gear whilst all the big players like abaddon's forces get the nice new shiny gear. It also gives them a sort of renegades among renegades sort of vibe.

I've got enough bits scavenged for about ten of them at the moment so will probably do some post-heresy schemes as well.

Where do you find the time for all this? Great idea, chaos vs Imperial in little teams. We will have to see them all together. I really like all the detail work on the Word Bearer. The bits of Ultramarine armor are well done and really cool. I am a big fan of the metal look on the armor. What did you use for it? The color is so smooth. The painting on the face is well done to boot. Nice stubble effects. I am amazed by the speed of it all. Do you have a system? I know when I sculpt (if you can call it that) that that is all I will do until I am ready to paint. It seems as if you can do them both at the same time. Keep it up. I have spent 30 minutes typing this up so will there be another update in an hour? I'll be waiting to see!

Thanks mate! :D

For the armour I basically just stippled the edges and raised areas where they may have brushed against something or where the paint has faded with bolt gun metal. Then I went over it with washes of badab black and gryphonne sepia so it's pretty simple really.

As for a system I just go with the flow, once I've got an idea in my head I just dive in and get sculpting. :rolleyes:

Seeing as you insist...

http://i55.tinypic.com/2w66tsh.jpg

Once last update for now.

Need to look for my chaos codex to decide on the weapons for this guy but am probably going to make him the squad champion so I can give him more appropriate weapons.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2iiwitg.jpg