Battlefield Theory #1

Warp Angel

I'm trying something new here. I'd like to see how the player community here responds to a map. I'd like to see how, based on your typical list (1500-2000) points, you would handle the metagame.

Lots of times, you'll hear people talk about how their strategy is to do "x then y" and always deploy these units "in this way".

The map I'm presenting is not intended to be balanced. It is a thought exercise.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/mightyix/Minis/Theoryhammer%20Maps/theoryhammer1.jpg

- The black shapes are typical GW multistory buildings of two floors, each 6" tall or more. Think Ruined Tower, and Imperial Sector terrain.

- The dark green shapes represent wooded area terrain, able to block LOS to a Land Raider, but not to a Valkyrie. The trunks are stick thin and probably won't block true LOS to anything.

- The grey shape is a crater, able to grant a cover save, but no effect on LOS.

- The brown shapes are hills. The lighter one is 1" high, able to block LOS to most infantry models behind it, the darker one is stepped up to 2", able to block most LOS to most rhino/light tank hulled vehicles behind it.

- Blue is water terrain, impassible to most ground units (Chimeras are an exception, and you can jump/fly over it)

The game will be a "Pitched Battle", and you know there will be d3+2 objectives on the table, no closer than 12" to an edge or to another objective.

Challenge 1) You are playing your army against mech Eldar (unknown list composition), and you've won the roll to decide who deploys/goes first. What about your army, opponent, and table will influence your choice, and what is that choice?

Challenge 2) You are playing your army against an unknown Tyranid composition instead. Same questions.

Challenge 3) You're playing against a known "leafblower guard" opponent. 3 Vendettas, command squads and vets in chimeras, medusa artillery, and a WH inquisitor with a couple of mystics. Same questions.

Well, I've never played against guard or mech Eldar, but with my limited knowledge...

Challenge 1:

So, I've heard that Eldar vehicles are crazy and can move something like 48 inches flat out and that they have a character that lets them re deploy D3+2 guys or something. I am also assuming he has at least 1 squad of harlies (they are taken 90% of the time in mech Eldar, right?). The battlefield seems to have a lot of places the Eldar guy can flit around between getting cover saves on his vehicles. My usual 1500 list is something along these lines:

Belial

2x Deathwing squad, AC, CF

2x Venerable dreadnought, MM, SB

Land Raider

Land Raider Crusader

My choices will be influenced by the number of elite CC units, where his AP2 is concentrated (Is it all on his vehicles or does he carry it around in squads), does he tend to make drastic repositions or is he new and likes to just rush straight at you, how does he think (does he weigh each move considerably or make all his moves quickly and hope for good results), terrain won't effect it much because as far as I hear, he will be able to move his entire army adjacent to me on turn one and seize objectives late, I don't think we'll have many shoot offs.

This said, I'd probably take turn 2 so at the end I can maybe get a better chance at dragging him off an objective he just seized. Because of my low number of troops (and models in general), I'd probably start the DW squads in reserve (to DWA) to avoid turn one deaths but close quickly via deep striking. The Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts would start on the table, both pretty far forward to support deepstriking terminators, but I'd shield them as much as possible with the trees to avoid getting the Land Raiders lanced in the butt.

Challenge 2:

Well, I play Tyranids a lot with my Greenwing but I've never faced any of the more nasty things like Carnifex hordes or mycetic spores and I've only played them a few times with my Deathwing. With this in mind...

So, I am going to assume he is taking at least one zoanthrope. This means I need to start in a position to eliminate them early. I'll probably take turn one and bottom and deploy my armor behind/adjacent to my circular building. This will prevent the zoanthropes from getting early potshots, they will be forced to stand in the open on their way to my armor or start in the open.

Now genestealers, I suffer terribly against these guys because of their rending. So, I'll start my Deathwing squads in the cover of the trees away from the table edges. This way I can force him to strike at I1 and stop him from getting a turn 2 charge. They'll be supported by one dreadnought in cover to potentially tarpit things coming near and expand my ZoZID (Zone of Zoanthrope Instant Death) with his multi melta.

The biggest issue with my Deathwing force is the lack of high S, low AP. Assault cannons are helpful to cut through the bigger bugs but sometimes you just wish you had longfangs. Because of this, I am forced to make the big bugs my #1 priority, they have to receive all of my firepower for the first few turns to take down. Once the big bugs are down, I'll mount up my Deathwing and go zoanthrope hunting, I generally won't be able to be harmed by anything else.

Challenge 3:

I have very limited knowledge of guard, I will avoid this challenge.

Here's the "all comers" list I'm currently in testing with:

2000 pts "Iron Wolves"

HQ

Njal: Runic TDA - 270 pts

Troops

Grey Hunter Squad: 8 Hunters, Mgun, Wolf Standard, Pfist - 160 pts

Grey Hunter Squad: 10 Hunters, 2 Mguns, Wolf Standard, Pfist - 190 pts

Elites

Venerable Dreadnought: TLLC, HF, WTT - 210 pts

Venerable Dreadnought: TLLC, HF, WTT - 210 pts

Venerable Dreadnought: 2x TLAC - 185 pts

Heavy Support

Land Raider: Mmelta - 260 pts

Land Raider: EA - 265 pts

Fast Attack

Land Speeder: Mmelta, TML - 100 pts

Land Speeder: Mmelta, TML - 100 pts

Land Speeder: 50 pts

In all 3 Challenges, I'm taking the bottom part of the map.

Challenge 1: First things first, I'm facing Eldar. My toughest match-up, which is Mech Eldar, as they pull the same tricks that I attempt to do infinitely better. I can expect an armor killing optimized build here, probably with Bright Lances on wave serpents, a fire dragon squad or two in either a serpent or a falcon, and maybe even some vypers with scatter lasers/Eldar Missile Launchers. Whether they use a Fire Prism or Nightspinner is kind of inconsequental, although the fire prism stands a small chance of destroying armor every turn. I won't have to worry about Dire avengers or Howling Banshees or Striking Scorpions or any of the Infantry killing aspects, since they won't be able to affect me at all. I can also expect either Eldrad or a pair of Farseers, who are going to be running Fortune/Doom/Guide on the units that matter.

With this in mind, I'm setting up target priority on the weapons that have the highest chance of destroying/disabling my Land Raiders: the Wave Serpents and the Fire Dragon transport. After that, I'm looking to destroy the Vypers, if there are any, and basically immobilize, then forget. Since the Falcons are going to be tootin Spirit Stones and Holo-Fields, I can expect the falcon to be nearly invulnerable, which is going to be troublesome for me, since that will most likely guarantee one dead land raider when it hits the field. However, if it does happen, I can subsequently destroy the falcon and the fire dragons due to my grey hunters charging the fire dragons and my autocannons/missile launchers lighting up the falcon's backside, hopefully either immobilizing it or maybe even destroying it.

With this in mind, I have to remember that whatever mobility I think I have, Eldar bring much more of it. Therefore, I should keep my phalanx in a slightly loose formation, keeping Njal's Storm Caller power up if possible (I highly doubt it'll go off very often... Runes of Warding is very damaging to powers). However, given the terrain, I think I can handle Storm Caller not going off, as I'll get a 4+ cover save for my LRs from my dreads, which are subsequently taking cover behind buildings/forests. The Speeders will have to be deployed behind the LRs, ready to pop out and fire missiles at any targets I need to damage.

On to deployment. Against other armies, it's very cut and dry, as I'll give my opponent first turn every time in objective games, but against Eldar... I really want first turn so I can hit wave serpents/falcons without Fortune up. It's a tough decision, as it's either me taking first turn and resigning myself to having a disadvantage at the end of the game, or taking second turn and praying that their fire won't kill my Land Raiders in turn 1. This will probably be influenced by which choice of HQs they're using. If they're using Eldrad, I'll go first, since the eldar player will be able to redeploy his army anyway. If they're using double farseers, then I'll go second, to try to set my units up to have the most cover and coverage of the board.

I'll put my two Lascannon dreads on the edges of that forest, the TLAC dread into the building on the left, the LRs behind the forest between the dreads, and the speeders behind the LRs. While this provides saves but very little LOS blocking to my units, The reverse is also true, as the eldar player will not be able to hide much of his army.

After that, it'll be up to the dice gods. I might win, I'll probably draw, and I might lose. For the Emperor!

Challenge 2: Tyranids. I'm most scared of one thing: Zoanthropes. This is the main reason why I'm using Njal: the 3+ psychic nullification followed by the 5+ save might be enough to save me long enough to take them out before they destroy any of my armor. While it's not guaranteed, it's the best chance I can find of stopping it. Trygons can be troublesome, and Genestealers can give me a few problems on the charge, but only against the Land Speeders and Dreadnoughts. The LR shouldn't be too damaged if they happen to take a charge by genestealers. Hive Guard are definitely a threat to the list, so they'll be high on the target priority.

Target priority will be relatively easy in this list. Zoanthropes are #1 on the list when they show up. Next up are the Hive Guard or Ranged Warriors. Any big bugs go next. Anything with the MC type are taking all lascannon/missile fire. Finally, all the threats that are not very likely to damage my armor but have a chance are last.

I'm definitely taking Second turn in this scenario. Standard Operating Procedure stands here, as Tyranids are relatively uncomplicated in this regard.

I'm deploying in a tight phalanx to the left. Two LRs behind the building, the two Lascannon dreads on the flanks, the TLAC dread in front, the Speeders behind the LRs. I'm choosing this spot because there is a lot of open terrain around this building, making MCs and Mycetic spores drop in without the benefit of cover, which will be instrumental in taking the targets down as quickly as possible. If, by any chance, Genestealers are outflanking, then I'll try to deploy about 19" away from the side of the board, with the LRs closest to the edge.

Now, I fire for effect and hope I don't roll ones to wound on Lascannons.

Challenge 3: This is a shooting gallery. Since I know what's in the list, I don't have to guess.

Now, I'm looking to establish local superiority with the list. The Placement of the Medusa will be critical in where I deploy my army. If it's deployed dead center, which will be the best position given the small range, I'll deploy out of range of the medusa. If it's in the corner, then I can ignore it for half the game and light up the vendettas/chimeras with the lascannons/autocannons/missile launchers.

At this point, it'll be a shooting exchange. The Vendettas, while definitely formidable as a weapons platform, are exactly what my list is designed to defeat, so barring mystical cover saves, should go down very quickly. Chimeras will be very unlikely to damage me, so I can take my time with wrecking them. If I can get side armor, great, although I probably will not. Near the end of the game, I will probably shoot a few shots at the medusas just to shake them, maybe destroy them if possible, then get my speeders in position to contest the numerous objectives my opponent no doubt has. I move the LRs to claim one or two objectives, and continue shooting.

While this is normally considered foolish, it really isn't in this case, as the troops choices he chose to take require very close quarters to destroy armor, which limit his tactical choices. If he had taken blob guard with heavy weapon teams full of missile launchers or lascannons, then I'd be in trouble, as I have no quick way to destroy them before they disable me.

Hope you had fun reading all of that... I didn't even realize this much went through my head until I wrote it all down.

I like the idea, but "unknown list composition" makes this impossible to answer. How can one possibly answer if you don't give salient details such as what to expect. For instance, a guardian heavy eldar force and a mech skimmer force will require radically different strategies to combat. Missions play another vital role in strategy. I think you'd do better to list a specific scenario, including list, mission, and deployment. It'd probably be best to describe the effects of terrain, as the standards can vary from region to region.

But you can't deploy to the level you normally would when facing an unknown list. If I deploy first, I consider, since I've played the majority of the armies, what I do with those armies and units when deploying. For instance, I'm facing a Space Wolf player. He has a thunderlord, rune priest, three grey hunters in razorbacks, a couple TWC, and two Long Fangs(this is probably not what I'd really be facing). I consider the best places for the Long Fangs to go for line of sight and cover, and deploy countering units in response, while keeping other units out of sight. I set up the best kill zone to funnel the TWC into and deploy units accordingly. I set up other units and figure out drop positions to deny the razors cover. You have to take the enemy, not just the terrain into account.

On an unrelated note, this sounds somewhat familiar. It's as if I did this recently... :tu: It must just be Deja Vu. ;) ;) I see you're using the same old word processor shape tools that I use.

@Ignus Domus - didn't see your previous posts on this. Is there a search term or two that I could use to find them?

@Wildfire - You've never been in a tournament (especially in the first round) where you didn't know anything other than what your opponent's army was? You've never had a buddy say, "I want to try this out on you"? There have been plenty of occasions in my 22 years of 40k where I never knew what my opponent was deploying until after we started deploying. Sometimes you're just surprised by what they do.

That's one of the reasons I presented three scenarios - One where you had a general idea of what you were up against, one where you had no idea what you might be facing other than general threats, and one where you knew exactly what you were up against.

So... my 2k Army looks something like this:

Captain - Bike, Artificer, Relic Blade, Digital Weapons, Hellfire Rounds

Elite - Ironclad w/MG and HF, assault launchers, drop pod with missile launcher

Elite - 6x TH/SS Terminators

Troop - Bike x8, Attack Bike, Sgt PF, MG, Flamer, MM

Troop - Tactical w/Razorback, PC, PF, Fl

Troop - Tactical w/Rhino, MM, MG, PF

Fast - Typhoon

Heavy - Vindicator

Heavy - LRC w/MM

Heavy - Thunderfire

In scenario 1, I'm going to choose to go second. I'm less concerned with killing his forces in the early turns than I am with denying him easy early kills and the last turn objective grabs. How I deploy is going to depend on what he does. I'm choosing a reactive, water philosophy that gives me what I believe to be the best chance at being able to concentrate my force. The Thunderfire is going to deploy in a building someplace. It's a serious threat against fast moving skimmers (dangerous terrain on HOW MANY d6?) and the ability to ignore cover at S5 gives them fits. At least one of the tacticals is going to be deployed nearby (probably the PC squad) to provide some protection and additonal bait. My Typhoon, Vindicator, and second tactical squad will be deployed in what I determine at the time to be the best possible position and it's possible that I deploy my Ironclad without it's pod... again, it depends on my opponent. I always consider keeping the bikes and the terminator/LRC in reserve, especially against armies that excel at anti-mech. The goal is to have them in a position to make an assault on the first turn that they arrive.

In scenario 2, I'm going to choose to go second as well. There's usually very little that a 'nid player can threaten me with on the first turn if I deploy well, effectively costing them at least one turn of combat effectiveness. Going second would allow me to deploy in a way that I'm able to concentrate my force against a chosen portion of theirs, using my superior mobility to combat the limited mobility of the nid list. What and how I deploy would be determined by their force composition and how they chose to deploy. I would almost certainly keep my LRC and TH/SS in reserve (to minimize the threat of the early arriving pod zoanthrope), and allow the tyranid player time to get within my assault envelope. Bikes may also be deployed in reserve as well, giving me some tactical flexibility to surprise my opponent at an objective they thought was "safe" in the later turns. The Ironclad would be dropped in an area where I thought he had reasonable survivability and capacity to inflict damage the turn he arrives, but he's essentially a disruptive element that can bunch my opponent up into nice clumps for my shooting and delay the tyranid advance.

In scenario 3, I'm going first and taking the top, denying a good bit of LOS blocking/cover terrain to my opponent. I'm breaking my bikes into combat squads and deploying to a each flank, and deploying most other things as aggressively as possible. My entire purpose in life is to achieve maximum destruction in the minimum amount of time. The tacticals will be split into combat squads as well to move to objectives with basic +heavy combat squads with sergeants and specials in vehicles advancing as rapidly as possible. The Ironclad's job is to drop off danger close to the core of the enemy formation. About the only thing I'm worried about in this scenario is that they decide to keep the Vendettas and melta vets in reserve - something I might do with my own Guard list. If the enemy steals the initiative, then I'm probably going to suffer badly.

@Wildfire - You've never been in a tournament (especially in the first round) where you didn't know anything other than what your opponent's army was? You've never had a buddy say, "I want to try this out on you"? There have been plenty of occasions in my 22 years of 40k where I never knew what my opponent was deploying until after we started deploying. Sometimes you're just surprised by what they do.

Nope, never. I always look at my opponent's army list before the game. Just as I always let them look at mine.

I like this map based post and would like to see more.

My 1500 points list:

Vulkan

5 TH/SS Terminators

Land Raider, EA, MM

10 Tac. Marines, PF, MG, ML, Rhino, EA, DB

10 Tac. Marines, PF, MG, ML, Rhino, EA, DB

Dreadnought, TLAC, TLAC

Dreadnought, TLAC, TLAC

Predator or Landspeeder

For 2000 points I add another 10 man Tactical squad and Master of the Forge with Conversion Beamer so I can take a third Rifleman Dreadnought as a Heavy Support choice.

In the first scenario I would deploy first in the bottom left corner and put the Dreadnoughts and points permitting, MotF in the building. I would of course bolster the ruin for a 3+ cover save if I have MotF. I would park one Rhino between the woods and ruins. The Predator/Landspeeder would go in the bottom left corner behind the ruins. Just to the left of the ruins would be the Land Raider with the other Rhino to the left of that. This deployment also provides an open route for my LR to strike with less potential of being immobilized in terrain. The stupid Chaos LR gets Dozer Blades for 5 points but not my LR! :cuss!! If there is a third Rhino it would go behind the ruins and first Rhino.

I want to cram everything into one corner to minimize the mech Eldar ability to out maneuver me. I try to keep my tanks all close together in the early turns to avoid having my enemy deploy infantry from fast moving transports right between my tanks and right in my face. I hope that the water terrain will also discourage any disembarking infantry and decrease his ability to concentrate his attack in the first couple of turns. If I have the Landspeeder I might turbo boost along the Left or Bottom table edge.

My Primary targets to shoot first turn would include any anti tank units, especially Fire Dragons and transports. I would nail those units with the dreads and depending on what I believe my opponents list to be I would either pop smoke with LR and Rhinos or stay back and shoot. After that I would respond to the actions of the faster army while trying to stay in a tight close formation if possible. I would try to kill/immobilize early and focus on objectives later.

For the second scenario I would deploy exactly the same way and choose to go first again. I would again keep a tight formation if I believe that my opponent has deep striking MC's. If any MC's show up then just plow into them with the hammernators and try to keep to the left board edge to try to prevent being swarmed.

In the third scenario I have to admit I don't really know the IG codex very well and would probably deploy the same way as the other two scenarios. If I have a chance to see their models or glean anything about their list then this might significantly change my deployment and strategy. I think that staying back to shoot at the vendettas and anti tank units is still my best bet.

For The Emperor,

McFisty

To answer your questions...

decide who deploys/goes first. What about your army, opponent, and table will influence your choice, and what is that choice?

Scenerio 1

I want first turn - Marine hoods cant reach into the enemy deployment zone and denying fortune on serpents is a must. I wont get a second chance to kill the transports later on as I can bet my last dollar that my most offensive AT will be target number 1 and dead ASAP. If I can get at his transports early he cant 'steal' an objective last turn so giving up last turn is not an issue. I will deploy centrally and to the right on the bottom table edge. I want to control the centre of the table. You are always in a good place when you dominate the table centre. I am choosing bottom edge and to the right because it has less terrain but the terrain it does have can block true line of sight. This affords me some 'reserves' with out having to rely on chance. It also helps if I loose the initiative.

I will put my speeders and a whirlie on the far left flank near the other building. The water means nothing to these units and for the enemy to cross this ground is going to open some nasty hurt (I doubt the eldar guy will attack on the left side because it is too open and affords no tactical advantage what so ever) in-turn this keeps my speeders alive (range) and same with my whirlie as they are going to have to cross open ground to get to them. I might even put my speeders IN the terrain building for a few reasons...1) gives me cover saves... 2) helps with LOS and reducing cover on large size models.. 3) It is hard to assault 4) I dont have to take terrain roles unless I move.. 5) Templates (fire prism springs to mind) wont scatter inadvertently and hit a speeder because of the different levels (read the shooting rules if you dont know what I am talking about) The range on these two units will help control the centre.

The main advance of the eldar will come down the right and centre. I will have the upper hand as my guys on the top floors of the building will reduce much of the cover afforded to floating vehicles and mons creatures alike. I will put my infantry and dreads (move like infantry) here... Infantry are great for holding whilst the dreads will relish in the cover of the trees (H-FLAMERS!!!) or the open ground infront of them if I decide to stay put. The centre will have any fast infantry (Rhino, bikes, raiders etc) and heavy armour. I need to be able to respond well here and this will be the most important part of the table.

In general a good mech eldar player will get cover saves almost on any table. Making them deploy on an edge with more cover is what they hate most. They rely on moving and if they are already in the majority of terrain to start with then they are not moving TO IT but away from it... Most mech eldar players never deploy in terrain (moving from terrain incurs terrain roles you see whilst moving over it doesnt) and this will bunch up their transports as they have large foot prints.. As the game goes on and with a few dead transports Eldar are really quite weak and attacking from angles is very hard for them to deal with ... Speeders moving up the left flank for example and my centre enveloping the right flank as it comes across.. Box eldar in. It is very hard to JUMP over an enemy unit, even mech eldar.. It is the most decisive way to kill them... NEVER BOX YOURSELF IN.. a castle does NOT work against mech eldar... they will dictate range, change angles and destroy you piece by piece.

I am confident that the bottom right and first turn is the much better choice vs mech eldar.

Senerio 2 - Bottom left - I can get far enough away from the table edge to stop and nasty suprises coming in off the flank but still retain distance from other terrain pieces. The water will also bottle up a hoard list without restricing my advance (I dont want to get to his deployment zone because objectives cant be put there anyway...) If he has a big bug list I can move fairly well from this corner and use the water to protect a fast moving flanking unit (bikes etc) and try and sneak up behind him... A big bug list CANNOT move back and forward well at all.. it is way too slow and has too few units.. It picks one direction and just goes in that direction...if they turn around and go back they will never make your lines and they just lost their previous turn of moving... this will let you get into his troops and support choices relatively easily... A captain on a bike with a relic blade will rip warriors and zoanthropes apart with ease.. enjoy.. First or second... it doesnt matter.. maybe first turn is a llittle better if they have some triksy reserves coming in.. gives you one more turn before they potentially come on... ?

Bottom left for the win here...

Senerio 3 - is a harder one... I want to deny the enemy cover but I want to fight them in cover.. I might put them in the top and hit the right flank as hard as I can here. I dont think I will extend any resources to the left flank and I will ultimately try to roll up their line and try and turn their 6 chimeras into a cluster of tanks and a manouvring nightmare. Fight from the trees and controll the centre late game... I am less confident with this one.. I will move to the right but shoot at the centre. Try and isolate support units and get into the right flank early..l try and turn the table on its side if you will and fight from the right table edge...

I hope that this is the kind of response you were after... I didnt detail my unit selection because, as you indicated, it is fixed (like being in a tournament) for each game... The above are my general thoughts given a general balanced marine list with some mech/tank, fast movers, something with combat ability and a few big guns..

Challenge 1) You are playing your army against mech Eldar (unknown list composition), and you've won the roll to decide who deploys/goes first. What about your army, opponent, and table will influence your choice, and what is that choice?

Well lately Ive been bringing my Mech SW army to the tournaments... so Id take the side with the two buildings. 1) that building on the bottom left has excellent line of sight throughout the field so I can place my longfangs and razorback there to get shots off on the enemy skimmers. 2) it has more cover to grant my opponent throughout the table so I can force him to either leave himself open to a preliminairy strike or deploy in the top right corner, where still mostly likely itll just be a cover save not complete lack of LOS. Theres a nice open killing field in the middle... Ill try to deploy three objectives closer to my side and keep my forces together so they cant be picked off. Based on scale I should be able to plant the objectives just inside terrain there, a major boon to me since eldar units often deny armor saves *but not cover* and lack grenades on most of their units, including all the scoring ones.

Challenge 2) You are playing your army against an unknown Tyranid composition instead. Same questions.

Same side for similar reasons. I want my opponent to come to me and I want to enjoy the good lines of fire that are available from the south end of this map. Also, again Ill enjoy staying in cover for the most part as my opponent is forced to come towards me, and use the general lack of grenades to my advantage so I have a solid chance against the likely tide of enemy genestealers or furious charge gaunts.

Challenge 3) You're playing against a known "leafblower guard" opponent. 3 Vendettas, command squads and vets in chimeras, medusa artillery, and a WH inquisitor with a couple of mystics. Same questions.

Same side, different reasons. The battlefield on the north end is more open, meaning I can chew through his armor at a faster rate. at the same time the better deployment zone to stop incoming fire *the top right* is also going to decrease the amount of fire my incoming transports are going to take. LFs would deploy on the left again, but Id probly do two objectives *middle and rightish* on my side and my third near the midfield on the right, just on the other side of that hill. Why? Because vets coming out of those vendettas can capture anywhere, so I might as well consolidate what I need right next to him and refrain from spreading out my forces. Instead Ill try to spear right at him, using my pair of typhoons to angle for side armor shots in chimeras while my forces advance under the cover of smoke and stormcaller and the long fangs attempt to supress or destroy the vendettas. Thanks to the vendettas high flying stand Ill probly deploy them on the ground level to reduce the effects of ordnance.

Assuming I take my typical 1750 list...

Pedro

10 Sternguard

4 Combi-meltas

Heavy Flamer

Power Fist

Drop Pod

Dreadnought

Drop Pod

Dreadnought

Assault Cannon

Heavy Flamer

Drop Pod

Tactical Squad

Plasma Gun

Multi-melta

Power Fist

Rhino

Tactical Squad

Meltagun

Missile Launcher

Power Fist

Combi-melta

Rhino

Land Speeder

MM/HF

5 Devastators

4 Missile Launchers

5 Devastators

4 Missile Launchers

Vindicator

I'll pick the side with the 2 ruins and the forest, and choose to go first.

Mech Eldar has plenty of mobility, but I've never been scared of its killing power. Fire Prisms can do a fair job of it, and EML are the equivalent of my missile launchers, but Fire Dragons are his only reliable anti-tank. As such, I feel like by strategy will be to park a full Rhino on the objective closest to the opposite side, park a half-full Rhino on the closest objective to my deployment zone, and a 5 man combat squad (one with a Missile Launcher) covering my back objective, probably inside of one of the ruins.

Deployment- both devastators go in separate ruins, as high as possible. I want to keep Krak missiles firing as much as possible. Land Speeder starts towards the back, and will flat out turn 1. Vindicator will be flanked by a Rhino on each side. This mech spearhead will start between one ruin and the forest.

If my opponent starts his transports or Fire Prisms on the board, I'll drop in the MM Dread and Sternguard turn 1. Sternguard will stay out if he reserves. Target priority is Fire Prisms and Fire Dragons.

My choice is made for several reasons. I have 2 squads of Devs, and want them to have cover that can have a higher vantage point to have LOS to the entire board. Also, putting my objective in a ruin limits my opponents ability to last turn contest at least one objective. I'm a believer that all it takes to win an objective game is 1 if you can contest the others.

As far as first turn goes, I have a fair bit of alpha strike potential. 2 podding melta units, and 2 units of 4 MLs. I can pretty reliably take out 2 vehicles on turn one, with potential for more. Getting an opening volley in with my missiles before he gets cover saves can be a life saver. Plus, if going first does cause him to reserve, I can fight his army piecemeal, which works to my advantage. Going first is a win-win for me.

Same side, same deployment, same choice of going first. The new Nids don't scare me. I have Missiles to take out the big bugs, and Dreadnoughts terrify Warriors, Gaunts, Gants, and plenty of other stuff.

Whatever the composition is, I sit back with my shooty stuff, and put Dreadnoughts and Sternguard in his face.

Assuming I win the roll off? Same answer.

Really, about all I change is that I'm MUCH more cautious with my Rhinos and my Vindicator. They'll probably set up behind one of the ruins and try to stay out of LOS, then rush up and pop smoke turn 1.

I'll bring in my Sternguard and MM Dread turn 1. Combat squad the Sternguard will 2 combi-meltas apiece, and try to take out some tanks. The great thing about Leafblower Guard at this points level is a general lack of troops, so it's unlikely his vehicles will be well enough bubble wrapped to avoid melta range. Sure, Inquisitor will probably hurt me a bit, but the Mystic tactic isn't as easy to use as it's made out to be. I have to DS my pod within 3d6" of him, and the unit that fires has to be within 12" of the Inquisitor. I have to risk the damage to have a hope of taking out enough stuff early to be able to win.

At 1750, Leafblower is much less scary.

Archived