Assaults with an IC and a Squad

Marshal Wilhelm

Greetings brethren,

It has never quite worked out this way before and so here I am seeking clarification.

My unit of the Emperor's Champion + squad of Crusaders assaults his Predator, in somewhat of a long line. Only the EC gets into base contact with the Pred. As the IC is treated as a separate unit [bBB pg 49] does this mean that the rest of the squad cannot channel attacks through him because of not being "within 2" of at least one model in their unit that is in base contact with any enemy models" [pg 35] ??

We played it that only the Champion could attack. I was a bit sad because the PF guy was right behind him ^_^

Usually a squad member also makes it into mêlée and so it never comes up.

You played it correctly. If only the IC gets into base, only the IC can fight.

Okay, cool. Thank you for the response.

That can be somewhat tricky then, given that my men are always Infantry and so cannot always get a squad member to get contact against something.

I guess it is less of a problem with charging enemy men, as they have to respond in kind.

its not tricky at all... Just make sure that your character is always 2nd closest to the enemy... It requires you to think more about model placement, but if you could have placed the character there then there's no reason you couldn't have put a normal marine there... Also good discipline for when you dont want to be charged and the enemy does silly shooting at your squad- you might want to be able to remove that frontman so they are no longer in charge range so you get the charge on them next turn...

its not tricky at all... Just make sure that your character is always 2nd closest to the enemy... It requires you to think more about model placement, but if you could have placed the character there then there's no reason you couldn't have put a normal marine there... Also good discipline for when you dont want to be charged and the enemy does silly shooting at your squad- you might want to be able to remove that frontman so they are no longer in charge range so you get the charge on them next turn...

It happened when my right flank had won its contest and then they were barrelling along to finish what my left flank failed to.

As you say, more forethought would help, as would being aware of this potential problem initially :tu:

Another thing that happened was, even though he was playing as regular Marines, and therefore quite shooty but not very choppy, was that he was prepared to rush forwards in an attempt to block the exits on my Rhinos. Cheeky bandit! Luckily it didn't happen, but that was more by luck than judgement.

It is the second time I have stuffed myself with poor transport placement ~ in a game against Eldar and going through a bottleneck, I couldn't deploy both squads for the deploy+move+assault combo. I had to move one Rhino away, thereby denying that unit the charge, whilst the other fought the Striking Scorpions on their own. Equal points fighting is never a great idea and then when the second squad did get to charge in, they couldn't shoot, denying them 1/4 of their s4 attacks for the round. *facepalm*

Archived