Wound allocation games for marines

Tech Brother Torgo

The only time wound allocation is unbalanced is with multiwound models. We all know how annoying Ork Nobz all equipped differently are to face.

For single-wound models, wound allocation isn't a problem unless you're applying a torrent of mixed-S fire. Plasma alongside bolters, for example. Everyone cries "It's so stupid that my two plasma shots only kill one guy!" but IMO it's perfectly reasonable that the same target could be hit by two simultaneous plasma bolts.

But is it not perfectly reasonable the plasma shots can kill more than one guy? Most games the same plasma bolt kills the same guy whenever I play.

Both outcomes are equally reasonable. My example is the complaint I hear most from folks around my local area who rail against the wound allocation system. They go on and on about how much better it was in 4th Edition, but forget that in 4th, yuor final three Marines in a squad were ALWAYS the sergeant, special, and heavy. Wound allocation at least provides the threat of reduced heavy/special firepower in a squad early in the game. Without it, every squad always has its full non-bolter effectiveness for the entire early game.

I don't see the problem in that; in war you protect your assets - and in a Tac Squad your assets are your Sergeant, Special and Heavy Weapons some of the time.

Everyone cries "It's so stupid that my two plasma shots only kill one guy!" but IMO it's perfectly reasonable that the same target could be hit by two simultaneous plasma bolts.

I have no problem with this aspect of the rules. It is rare enought that you cause enough wounds for this to matter (especially in the current MSU environment.) I mean even a 10 man tactical squad with A plasma gun and 9 bolters (18 bolter shots, 12 hits, 6 wounds) won't have this problem unless they are firing at a small squad.

Does slow up the game no end and leads to us being able to take advantage of the rule to reduce losses. I prefer the quicker and cleaning versions for that reason too. -_-

Well, since I didn't learn the 4th Ed way (except by accident when I first started), I've never had a big problem with the complex unit rules. Despite all the arguments about fluffiness or silliness of having either all the special models dying to bad saving throws or only the special models left when the squad was shot to pieces, I does make units tougher. Genestealer CC attack vs a VSS, HF, F, 4x Bolter. Six "6" wound rolls (Rending) out of 17 wounds rolled. Instead of "Well, six are dead, do you think you can roll 11 times without rolling any 1s or 2s for the last one?" I piled all the Rendings on two and everyone else made saves. No big deal except for the fact that I managed to tarpit the swarm for one more turn.

Everyone cries "It's so stupid that my two plasma shots only kill one guy!" but IMO it's perfectly reasonable that the same target could be hit by two simultaneous plasma bolts.

I have no problem with this aspect of the rules. It is rare enought that you cause enough wounds for this to matter (especially in the current MSU environment.) I mean even a 10 man tactical squad with A plasma gun and 9 bolters (18 bolter shots, 12 hits, 6 wounds) won't have this problem unless they are firing at a small squad.

Happens all the time. So many small units on the board especially all the combat squadding going on means it happens most games for me.

Thanks for the well thought out feedback everyone, I didn't really think that it would be worth the beardy effort to design the squad for wound games (at least for 1 wound models). With the captain, doc, fist and 3 claws there will be more than enough groups I suspect to handle all but the most bleak situations.

Better magnetize the meltaguns though... just to be safe :lol:

Archived