[DH] Dornian Heresy Visions

Honda

Well, it's been quite awhile.

I've been off in IG land putting together my Elysians and having a lot of fun doing that and playing with them. Every now and then I'd drift over to BnC because it's still my favorite site on the internet and maintains the best community for what I am interested in doing.

I keep an eye on what goes on here...which is why I'm in this mess. You see, I read the Dornian Heresy document and my head exploded with creative possibilities. I shared it with a couple of friends and they went nuts as well.

So here we are.

I don't know if I'm going to generate any armies out of any of these concepts, though there is an effort to produce codeci for some of the chapters to give people a chance to actually play games with the chapters that we think we know and love. :)

I am going to start off with the Iron Hands. If you haven't read this post yet, go here, otherwise you'll think I'm insane:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=2550372

What you are about to see below from my crappy camera is a basic trooper in a tactical squad. It is a concept model, so don't expect perfection, it does have some flaws.

"Some" of you will notice something very odd about his bolter. The Dornian Heresy Iron Hands have gotten rid of their old Imperial technology and switched to Necron gauss weaponry.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8697.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8698.jpg

I wanted to do a couple of things with this attempt. First off, see what it would take to add a gauss blaster to a space marine. It did take a bit of cutting and shaving, but eventually came together. I cut the gun off at the Necron wrist and matched that up with a SM forearm. I also had to slice the fingers on the other hand to open them up to accept the larger diameter weapon. I also removed a cable on the inner section of the blaster to fit.

All that being said, it does look a bit gangly. I also cut down the regular back pack on the assumption that Ferrus Manus will have designed a smaller, more efficient power pack. I'm not ecstatic about the results, but they sort of convey the idea.

I also wanted to shake up the color scheme, reasoning that paint, spit, and polish is not as high a priority to the IH as it would be in the normal-verse.

The scheme I'm starting with is all metal with black shoulder pads. I used P3 Pig Iron drybrushed over black base coat, then followed up with Radiant Platinum. I got a decent effect.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8706.jpg

I wanted to soften the black of the shoulder pads so I put a thin layer of Charadon Granite on them, did some chips, which truth be told, I overdid the effect. I'm also not happy with the shoulder insignia, so I think I'll have to go back and do them over. I'll also have to redo the insignia. I'm looking for something that reflects a Necron influence on the IH.

The other thing I wanted to experiment with was using pigments vs. washes. These are the charcoals I used:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8709.jpg

The black didn't quite adhere to the curved surfaces like they do with flatter surfaces like a vehicle. On the other hand, I was attempting to model a figure during the Mars assault on the Adeptus Mechanicus and using a reddish orange bulk paint, then painting the figure with a mix of orangey charcoal + rubbing alcohol worked out very well, so I am happy with that.

I wish the pictures better reflected the effort, especially the skin tones, which are trying to show near dead colored skin. I'll try to take some better pictures tomorrow.

For the time being...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8730.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8728.jpg

C&C appreciated!

Cheers,

I read the Dornian Heresy bit about the Iron Hands and had to say it would be very cool to see some minis of them. I really like what you have here, the colors, look, and the dead skin tone are very nice!

I can't find anything to critique but I am curious if you are going to add anything to the back pack/and or change it completely? I also think that filing down Necron Warrior heads and SM helmets to make a hybrid of the two would be cool as well.

Hope to see some more of these in the near future!

Oh hells yes dude this is looking cool. Although I would suggest getting rid of the Necron symbol on his chest? Unless they've completely joined the Necrons or something like that, I haven't read the Dornian Heresy. I got about as far as that I realised that all they'd done was just switched everyone to the opposite side and I kinda lost interest <_<

But anyway, great work!

I'm not sure what the odds are that two out of the first four comments come from Sons of Malice players, but I'm thinking I need to look into a Lottery ticket. B)

@hushrong: I don't really like the back pack, probably because of the flared section at the top. I think I'd much rather something that is smaller and squared. I thought about using a Tau back pack, but then that would distract from what the source of the change is, plus take away from any follow on Ultramarines efforts.

So, that is a work in progress. The reason I went the route I did was in case I decided to actually build a small army of these guys. I tend to do things by first starting with the end in mind, so if I was going to create an army, back packs would have to be easy to do. Now having said that, I suppose I could scratch build something, then do a casting of it...so, I think this is just the first step of something that ended up being...acceptable. It can definitely be improved.

Regarding SM/Necron head conversions...that will definitely be attempted before too long. I know people have used Nec heads for chappies in the past, so it is definitely possible and I will look into it.

@Inquisitor D: I did think about those conversion sets, but actually traded a couple away a long time ago because I was pretty certain that I'd never build any Iron Hands...and the irony of that is not lost on me one bit...nor the pun.

However, I really (like really) dislike working with metal, so any bionics I add will be done the old fashioned way with plastic bits and such.

@GDM: You really should give the DH a chance. The authors did a lot more than just swap good guys for bad. Quite a bit of thought went into the chapters and why they did what they did. Some of the swaps were pretty obvious, like Space Wolves, Word Bearers, and World Eaters, but for each of those, there are some real gems where they took the chapters in a very unusual and for me, extremely thought provoking direction.

At this point in time, my favorites are the Raven Guard, Ultramarines, Blood Angels, and of course the Iron Hands. However, I am saving most of my man crush for the Alpha Legion. I have extremely high expectations for them and they will most likely receive an extra measure of modeling attention.

The Alpha Legion were my first army and after reading the HH novel on them (i.e. Legion), will eventually make them my Pre-Heresy army of choice...which also coincides with the DH effort. After all, they really aren't traitors, just misunderstood.

As far as the Necron symbol on the chest, I did that on purpose. The Imperial Eagle no longer represents what is most important to the Iron Hands. In order to understand why, you really need to read the IH article.

Up next will be a Terminator sergeant. From a codex perspective, he will most likely be an upgrade to a tactical squad. What is unique about him is that he will represent one of those who has had his entire "personality" transferred to a digital matrix and is therefore a completely non-organic warrior. I expect him to have a pre-Heresy look to his TDA, but since it would probably make more sense to place the important hard drives containing "him" in the chest, the head will have a more mechanical looking appearance. Still working out how that might go together. I will be arming him with a Storm Shield and a Thunderhammer.

The paint scheme will continue.

Cheers and thanx for the C&C!

Until next time...

That's pretty darn cool. :D

I even quite like the backpack. ^_^

I'd honestly imagined their armour to still be black, but having it mostly silver is actually a neat touch.

I second the notion that some bionic limbs for his squadmates would really make them come into their own. Although perhaps it'd be worth saving them for veterans if you're making an army.

As for the terminator sergeant, I think a plain ol' necron skull would probably fit the bill to replace his head, although I must admit I don't have any necron bits about to check if they fit a terminator in any way. ;)

Thinking of a backpack to fit seems to be a challenge in itself haha. I think either A.) due to using different technology, they don't need it or B.) make one that looks like something a necron would have.

I honestly don't like the idea of not having a back pack. So having would be the way to go. I would say to make it bulky (like the ones from devestators) and add some elements like the glowing bit from a glauss flayer somehow to show a hybrid of the two technologies. I like the idea of it being bigger for a standard marine because it contains all the new tech like the ability to phase out with the functions the back pack already serves. *look at the cover of Fulgrim, Mannus' back pack is what made me think this.

The other idea is that they incorporated more of the necron tech and use less of their own so the back of it lacks a back pack entirely but the armor it is bulked out more. Basically, have a hump on the back (like a jungle trooper from Star Wars) that may be shaped like a coffin(like the front of the necron warriors chest) that has glowing engravings showing a power source.

Just some ideas knocking around...

Ok, here's a slightly better shot with better light. Not great, but better.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8776.jpg

After showing it to my painting sensei, we agreed on a couple of things:

1. The skin needs work. It isn't that the skin tones are necessarily bad, just that the grey I worked up is too close to the majority color, which is silver. So, I'm going to play around with that some more.

2. Reaffirmed that I messed up the shoulder pads. Actually, he was nicer than that, but I really don't like how they turned out. So I'm going to try to do a couple of things:

- Redo the black, probably do it a bit darker

- Go back to using the Iron Hands symbol, but still a bit weathered, as in, it used to be important, but not now

- I may rip off the back pack (BP Mk. I) and add BP Mk. II

Then I think I'll be a little happier with the overall image. After making those changes, then from a visual perspective, the green bar leads the eye to the legs and body, the black shoulder pads squeeze your focus and point you to the head. So the head has to be good.

I'd honestly imagined their armour to still be black, but having it mostly silver is actually a neat touch.

One of the ideas I am toying with is having the black on some, weathered in various stages, and some mostly silver. The idea being that the chapter is in transition, newer Astartes will have full silver armor, whilst some of the older marines still have some black on because it hasn't worn all the way off. Still working through that concept.

Thinking of a backpack to fit seems to be a challenge in itself haha. I think either A.) due to using different technology, they don't need it or B.) make one that looks like something a necron would have.

Yes, it certainly turned out to be a bigger deal than I originally thought. I think the issue is that it must be defining, but not dominating. I will be pursuing the Option B. From a symmetry perspective, it seems necessary.

I honestly don't like the idea of not having a back pack. So having would be the way to go. I would say to make it bulky (like the ones from devestators) and add some elements like the glowing bit from a glauss flayer somehow to show a hybrid of the two technologies. I like the idea of it being bigger for a standard marine because it contains all the new tech like the ability to phase out with the functions the back pack already serves. *look at the cover of Fulgrim, Mannus' back pack is what made me think this.

I will go back and look at that cover. Bulkier sounds interesting, but at the same time, I don't want to triple the cost of the figure (keeping the end in mind).

The other idea is that they incorporated more of the necron tech and use less of their own so the back of it lacks a back pack entirely but the armor it is bulked out more. Basically, have a hump on the back (like a jungle trooper from Star Wars) that may be shaped like a coffin(like the front of the necron warriors chest) that has glowing engravings showing a power source.

Now this is very interesting. I think you are on to something here. An idea just popped into my head and I'll need to let it percolate while I sleep.

Just some ideas knocking around...

And excellent ones at that! Many thanx all. This actually is starting to look like it might work out.

I want to see some Mk16 Ultramarines!

Actually, somebody already did one of those and it was quite awesome. Not sure I can do as good of a job, but I will try. Just not now. :lol:

Cheers,

So for New Years, I think I figured out what was wrong with my camera. For some reason it was set to "incadescant" or some other similarly spelled word. :tu:

Anyway, I've finished construction on the sergeant. He has been upgraded with terminator armor, a Storm Shield, Thammer, and a non-human head, primarily containing a optical feed and a speaker for commands. I opted to go with a blend of pre-Heresy shoulder pads (gas can conversion) and the newer legs. We'll see how that works out, but for the most part, I think he turned out Ok.

Slightly fuzzy pictures

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8807.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8805.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8803.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8802.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8801.jpg

I also started the clean up on this guy:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8808.jpg

I like the darker look on the shoulder pads, so that will stay. I'm also going to go back to the IH "hand" symbol. I've added several blue glazes to the skin tone to darken it and will now go back to lightening up the skin.

I attempted to remove the backpack, but I "canna get it off Captain" without destroying the rest of the fig. So, it stays. The next one will get BP Mk. II. I also briefly toyed with the idea of using termie torsos and standard legs, but I really don't want to go there. Maybe some singles for a different look.

Cheers,

The touch ups on the marine look good. The darker skin color looks very nice and I look forward to seeing the Iron Hand symbol on it.

The sergeant looks good too. The head kind of reminds me of the Tau Battlesuit a bit though.

The sergeant looks good too. The head kind of reminds me of the Tau Battlesuit a bit though.

Yes, that was a concern of mine as well. I'm hoping that after I get the rest of it together, it won't be too obvious. I'm not exactly sure how I am going to paint this guy. If I maintain the black shoulder pads...not convinced that would work. I'm also thinking of the torso and putting the IH hand on the chest.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Wow - I'm really impressed by your trooper.

Hadn't expected Gauss weapons to look that good on marines... Maybe I'm going to copy that idea. Or perhaps steal it. ^^

I made such a Necron/CSM hybrid a while ago... Would you like me to post a picture of the guy? Maybe it could serve as an inspiration...

For emblems, I would say doing something necron on the chest just like the basic marine. If you could make it skeletal with the rib cage that would be really cool too. perhaps carve out a little plastic from the chest or use green stuff. Then I would say somehow have the IH emblem on the right shoulder pad(or the left one since the crux isnt there).

For the head...I would think something like the tomb spider would be the way to go. Maybe even the new tomb stalker. Another idea would be to look at the necron destroyer where a normal looking head is used with bionics. Using that idea just take a regular termie head and just add more eyes just like the destroyer. Hope that makes sense.

I made such a Necron/CSM hybrid a while ago... Would you like me to post a picture of the guy? Maybe it could serve as an inspiration...

Sure, I'm curious to see what you were thinking.

For emblems, I would say doing something necron on the chest just like the basic marine. If you could make it skeletal with the rib cage that would be really cool too. perhaps carve out a little plastic from the chest or use green stuff. Then I would say somehow have the IH emblem on the right shoulder pad(or the left one since the crux isnt there).

That's an interesting idea. I will ponder that one.

For the head...I would think something like the tomb spider would be the way to go. Maybe even the new tomb stalker. Another idea would be to look at the necron destroyer where a normal looking head is used with bionics. Using that idea just take a regular termie head and just add more eyes just like the destroyer. Hope that makes sense.

Ok, I rather like that idea (tomb spiderish), so I'll see about working that into the second Sergeant. This guy is primed and I'll be putting the base silver on him. Also, I'll get the new skin effect on the base trooper. I ended up going with a thin layer of Space Wolves Grey, then a couple of thin layers of Skull White. I like the pasty color of that skin.

Good ideas guys, keep it going.

More later...

Cheers,

I am going to start off with the Iron Hands. If you haven't read this post yet, go here, otherwise you'll think I'm insane:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=2550372

The link doesn't work, so....

I declare that you are insane!

But seriously, they look nice, good job, can't wait to see more.

Hey man this is stuff is looking good! I quite like the head of the Terminator, he kinda looks like he has night vision goggles on his head or something, it's cool.

But yeah, the link doesn't work, do you know where I can find any Dornian Heresy stuff on the Iron Hands and Salamanders etc?

Hmm...not sure what happened to that link, but here's the thread for the whole shebang:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...t&p=1815138

do you know where I can find any Dornian Heresy stuff on the Iron Hands and Salamanders etc?

Note: Iron Hands are in the thread since they are not ready for final printing. I believe they are towards the end of the postings (page 15?).

Also, here are a couple of updates. First the sergeant in terminator armor.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8816.jpg

He's done with black basecoat, dry brush P3 Pig Iron then dry brush P3 Radiant Platinum. I really like these metals, though I've heard from others that the silver (whatever it's called) is not as strong.

Next up is the retouch of the first trooper.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8830.jpg

I rather like how he turned out, though it is clear that I'm not that great painting the IH symbol. The skin tone is more evident since it stands out from all the armor. Anyway, he doesn't look like a happy guy and that is the effect I am after.

Next steps are to finish up the sergeant, then put together three more troopers to fill out a "squad".

Cheers,

Here's an update on the sergeant.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8848.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8842.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8845.jpg

I am attempting to portray a "dripping" energy effect on the shield to represent the Storm Shield. He also has a black chest and a continuation of lame attempts at painting an Iron Hands symbol. This one is a bit smaller which, in theory, should hide some of the more obvious defects. It doesn't. Grrr.

Sooo...he's just about done. I need to put the dusty red charcoal effect on his feet and the basing sand and then he'll be ready to seal.

Next steps are to finish up the sergeant, then put together three more troopers to fill out a "squad".

Or not.

Hmm...what do we have here?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8840.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Dornian%20Heresy/DSCN8839.jpg

Why those look like Ultramarine scouts...with a pulse carbine and markerlight armed sergeant and, oh ho ho, a pulse rifle armed trooper. My, my, it looks like they also have EMP grenades. Wouldn't that make for a nasty combination in a scout squad. :confused:

While fiddling around yesterday I read the Ultramarine section again and had wonderful visions of pulse rifle armed infantry, flying rhinos, razorbacks, and predators. Then I started thinking about operationally, how would the UM play differently.

Since the UM have a very efficient, integrated society, it seems like with well coordinated and structured armies, the UM could become more mobile, heavier hitters, than they currently are. So, one thing that would make for an interesting unit in any list is Scouts armed with more powerful pulse weaponry, able to effectively use Markerlight technology, and should it become necessary, with EMP grenades, feel more confident in assaulting armor.

Anyway, this is what first came to mind as an interesting change to the codex forces. Not too overpowering, in that these seem like simple technology adaptations, but certainly a bit stronger and more flexible than current scouts.

So, I think that's it for today. Also since my vacation is up after today, updates are more than likely to be not as frequent. But it was fun while it lasted.

Cheers,

Archived