Getting back into painting

NatG

looking really good B) , only advice from me is maybe push the highlights on the cloth / bone a little higher to really make it 'pop' ( although cameras can do funny things with colours so just going on what the pics look like ),try a gem effect for the eye lenses and maybe pick out the sword on the bolter casing in a lighter colour to make it stand out more ( white to match the helm? ).

Keep up the good work!

J

This guy looks awesome! And for a two year gap is still better than what my guys look like -.- oh well.

The one tiny bit of advice I'd give is to add a decal on that blank shoulder pad. A really well-painted Tactical symbol, prayer text, or even the regular DA winged sword would fill that space well and really add a lot to this model. I hand paint all my decals and I think they are a really nice and unique touch that nobody is going to replicate quite the same as you do.

-VardenV2

Thanks for all the great comments.

I'm going to touch up the eyes, the sword on the bolter and add a tactical symbol to his right shoulder. I will post an update when it's done. I would have done it tonight but it would appear I haven't forgotten how to use my brushes but I have forgotten how to move a lamp. I have managed to snap my lamp from it's base. So as soon as I fix that I'll get this marine finished.

Thanks again for the advice and comments.

NatG

Hail fellow Battle-Brother..awesome models mate... love the crisp and professional painting... i hope to see more of your models so i will be checking back from time to time...

Semper Fidelis

kanan

peace

P.S. i would love to see you paint a Rhino or something similar ~smiles~

Ok I've got a new lamp and have made a couple of little changes to this model. The bolter, right shoulder pad and eyes have all be touched up. This should just finish it off.

gallery_14205_5568_68823.jpg

Any comments and advice welcome.

Thanks

NatG

Thanks for the great comments guys.

Ok this is how I do the robes. I use Vallejo (Panzer Aces) Light Mud as the base, then a quick wash with Devlan Mud or Gryphonne Sepia. This is just to make the recesses really stand out to me. Then I layer the raised areas with really thin Vallejo (Panzer Aces) Light Mud, and the recesses with Vallejo (Model Color) US Field Drab washing over each others edges if the transition is looking to harsh. Then I work the raised areas with really thin Vallejo (Panzer Aces) Stencil going over the area with Vallejo (Panzer Aces) Light Mud if the the transition is too harsh.

I have all three paints going at once and chop and change as I need, trying to get the transitions to fade away. It's very much a keep going till it feels right method.

I hope that makes sense and helps.

NatG

The one tiny bit of advice I'd give is to add a decal on that blank shoulder pad. A really well-painted Tactical symbol, prayer text, or even the regular DA winged sword would fill that space well and really add a lot to this model. I hand paint all my decals and I think they are a really nice and unique touch that nobody is going to replicate quite the same as you do.

Glad to see you used my idea :D YOur tactical symbol looks amazing!!! It really adds that finishing touch to him I think. The green armor, red symbol, and tannish robes contrast excellently and he looks phenomenal. Well done!

-VardenV2

PS. Your freehand symbol looks better than mine do and I have done like 50 of them! stop being so good! haha

OK I've finished a couple more models (I'm not the fasted painter in the world it would appear).

I've got another marine to show. I just need to do the symbols on the shoulders.

gallery_14205_5568_101114.jpg

I thought I do a scout as well just because I had one kicking about and I'm terrified of doing faces. As such I tend to avoid them and so I need the practice.

But I'm quite supprised at how well the scout's face came out. I'm really quite chuffed with it.... Just goes to show how good these GW washes are.

gallery_14205_5568_31629.jpg

I think I may turn my attention to the AoBR Dreadnought soon.

As always any comments and advice welcome.

NatG

Archived