Assaulting a different unit than the one you shot at?

captain sox

Here's an interesting scenario.

I was playing Orks the other night and this situation came about. My opponent had 3 Kans shoot at my Squadron of Land Speeders. The Kans didn't end up destroying all of them but another unit did (so now the target the Kans shot at is gone, wiped out, destroyed). His Kans were within Assault distance of another one of my units. My opponent calimed he could assult this other unit because his Kans' original target was destroyed. I never faced this situation before, so I contested the rule. We looked through the rulebook, and it's very vague...

I said that logically, and in a real world situation the Kans would deffinately assault something else. But what is the rule? We got into Rule as Written and Rule as Intended (which always takes the fun out of a game). I allowed the assault (which for all intents and purposes was useless anyway) and figured I'd try to get clarification.

What are your thoughts?

No. It is not possible to assault a unit other than the one you shot (with the only exception I am aware of being the fact that you can shoot and destroy a transport and assault the guys who had been in that transport).

The answer is no they cannot. You are only allowed to assault the unit you shot at, if it dies, you are not able to assault. The only exception to this is assaulting the contents of a transport vehicle.

I think what people need to remember that "in the real world" everything on the gaming table is happening much faster, the kan is not walking up, stopping, shooting, then deciding to assault. The kan is running forward guns blazing at his target, and if he kills it he does not have the time, to change targets.

The answer is no they cannot. You are only allowed to assault the unit you shot at, if it dies, you are not able to assault. The only exception to this is assaulting the contents of a transport vehicle.

Well, the other exception is the Multiple Assault- you still have to assault the unit that you shot at, but you can also assault a unit that you didn't shoot at, too, if they are nearby.

Valerian

I wonder. Could you assault the wreckage, then multi-assault another unit? Hmmm....

If I understand you correctly, then no. Wreckage is terrain, and no longer an enemy unit, so you can't assault it.

Archived