Line of sight question with skimmers

Grendelsbane

Played with a buddy with a Vendetta firing off its twin linked las cannons. It was tucked behind a building...when he fired he said it goes waaaaaay up and thus due to the angle gave my tank no cover. However, when I fired back it dropped below the buildings and thus would get a cover save. Is this right?

No, skimmer "pop up attacks" like he's describing were cut from the rules since 1998. The LOS is drawn from his weapon's mounting, so if it's behind a building it either can't see you at all or you will most likely get a cover save...check to see if the vehicle is 50% blocked or not by getting down and looking. His Vendetta doesn't move at all unless he moves it with his hands, so if it's behind a building it stays there, no upsy-downsy.

he cant say it's moved to x height, due to true line of sight, unless he has an extending base or something...

I believe skimmers are stuck at the height they are on their base, unless they are immobilised and can come off the base (tau vehicles with landing gear for example)

Archived