{ARTWORK} A God among men

Mr. Nipples

Top right seems a bit bare at the moment, I vote for a giant honking Dropship in the background. :)

As for C&C, Emp's leg looks a bit thick (his right leg), or maybe it's the angle/perspective versus his belt.

Again, I love your attention to detail.

I would make the marines a teensy bit shorter. If you think about it you have to fit a Primarch's height into the space between the two and the Primarch's are generally described as being a fair bit taller than a normal marine (apart from the obvious exceptions like Russ). I wouldn't say they need drastic changes but just a liiiiittle bit.

I'm guessing this doodle is done in PS? Not many people use cross hatch shading when they do stuff in PS but it's nice to see someone else does, at least in the doodling stage hehe.

Holy mcmuffins.

You are definately on a role mate, the movement shown here is fantastic. Absolutely loving the Emperors armour, seems as though you have kept to the old artwork and kept the little designs, very very nice indeed!

Man, you have effectively crushed any of my own aspirations as an artist after just browsing through the gallery...what little I had after 1 semester in art school anyway :lol: .

The only thing I would change is, as was said already, the scale of the Big E versus standard marines. He doesn't need to be outrageously huge, bug a full head or two taller maybe. I rather like the negative space of the top right corner, I wouldn't busy it up with some big ship/cherubs/architecture or other typical 40k art filler.

Awesome work here Nipples. Always inspiring to see your work.

Contrary to what others believe, I don't think you should change his height at all. The emperor has been described as being taller then a mortal man but still nothing compared to his genetically engineered primarch sons.

He's a big dude compared to a normal man but about the same size as the astartes. Remember, he's still just a man.

I think thats something that makes the Emperor so much more majestic and awe-inspiring in my opinion.

He isn't the monstrous war bringer of his son magnus, nor is he the towering ego-incarnate of Horus Luprecal. He is just a man who has achieved so much compact into that one small dude. I honestly think making him bigger only lessens that god-like quality he inspires by being so ordinary yet so powerful. Also, it feels like your compensating when you just make them bigger and bigger.

Now as per actual suggestions to the artwork itself, I agree with Nihm. The torso seems alittle fat and the leggings a tad bit thick. Just shrink em down by like a micrometer. Not much at all.

And for the background, I'd say put a towering Imperator Titan in the distance with one of the emperor's huge ass custodes (as they been described as being taller then a regular astartes) following right behind him.

Just my two copper skulls. :lol:

Contrary to what others believe, I don't think you should change his height at all. The emperor has been described as being taller then a mortal man but still nothing compared to his genetically engineered primarch sons.

He's a big dude compared to a normal man but about the same size as the astartes. Remember, he's still just a man.

I disagree in terms of "still just a man".. The Emperor may have been a man to begin with, but he was far more than that; to paraphrase a BL novel "He was more than a man, but never a god."

I do agree that he wasn't larger than the Primarchs though.. I think it was his aura that gave the sense of size; to a normal Marine or Human he was big enough anyway physically but his aura of command and power added to his size.

This is where I got stuck on creating on this....since the information on the emperor is sparce its really hard to nail anything down totally. His proportions are different from my standard drawing of marines as his head is smaller giving him the look of not being as bulky as the engineered marines. I was planning on doing a titan or the huge walls on terra. The servo skulls and cherubs are a must as well!

I've fixed his torso and his right leg as well. I'll post some more WIPS later.

And just so I'm understanding correctly..the Emperor wasnt as tall as a typical primarch whose waaaaay taller than a standard marine, correct?

And just so I'm understanding correctly..the Emperor wasnt as tall as a typical primarch whose waaaaay taller than a standard marine, correct?

From what I can gather he, at most, matched the Primarchs in size - as I said earlier it was his other attributes that imbued him with that sense of size and might. The thing for most artists I've found is that it is easier to give him that phyical size rather than try to imbue him with that aura to do the same.

I think it is safe to say the Emperors "projection" was as big as a typical Primarch just maybe not as big as Magnus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Pulsey/_1188263756814.jpg

When you look at the artwork above, you can see the Emperor isn't huge - probably around 10 foot tall if you count Valdor (bare headed Custodes) as just over 8 foot tall.

That is probably an artist's rendition of the Emperor. If he was truly that gigantic, how would he have been able to live amongst humans for tens of thousands of years without being some sort of freakshow?

Great piece Nipples! What Legion will the marines he is walking next to belong to?

remember the emperors size and appearance were whatever person veiwing him thought him to look like. you artwork is spot on so i wouldnt worry about it. I look forward to more of your wips as your art makes me push my own skills so keep the barrier high.

That is probably an artist's rendition of the Emperor. If he was truly that gigantic, how would he have been able to live amongst humans for tens of thousands of years without being some sort of freakshow?

Hence why i said "projection".

As far as the piece itself, it's great, and I like the walk, although I can't help but think that that image was influenced by that one image that has the Inquisitor in power armor walking by with his retinue, done by Adrian Smith. Also, The Emperor's head seems somewhat small. It's not by much, but it seems sort of out of proportion.

As far as the piece itself, it's great, and I like the walk, although I can't help but think that that image was influenced by that one image that has the Inquisitor in power armor walking by with his retinue, done by Adrian Smith. Also, The Emperor's head seems somewhat small. It's not by much, but it seems sort of out of proportion.

Heres my update from tonight:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/EmperorofMankind-1.jpg

The layout of the drawing wasnt really influenced as far composition or stance or anything by any previous piece of work. Its started out as a sketch and then I decided I wanted to render in out.

Lemme know all your thoughts guys and gals.

I'd love to know how you did the flame effect on the sword, it's one of the most impressive renderigns of fire I've seen in a digital artwork! I like it a lot so far, even with just the basic shading and highlights on. I would perhaps tone down the "glow" from his collar just a little as it perhaps whites out his face a little too much, but other than that it's looking spot on ;)

The thing is, the Emperor was the most powerful psyker that humanity has ever or will ever produce. He could change his size and appearance at will. Whether this was a physical change or just a mental projection is a matter of debate based on the material they've released. Usually, post unification, he was a giant. Before that? Probably shorter to fit in.

Love the art btw.

Archived