{ARTWORK} A God among men

Mr. Nipples

Cool, someone undertaking the huge challenge of making the Big E look... big.

Some thoughts:

I'm assuming his armour is still in progress? As it looks rather unadorned to me. I realise everyone has their own idea on how he should look, I just always imagined his armour to be covered in imagery and details. He is the Emperor after all. I always enjoyed the versions of Adrian Smith, Dan Scott, and Sam Wood - they really captured his aura for me. But like I said though, everyone has their own idea of him.

I think his sword looks a bit thin and small when compared to the rest of him. If he was without his armour it would probably look more in scale but I'd think a larger sword would give him more presence.

Is that Emperors Children marine going to be wearing a beakie helm? It looks like it from the shape of his helm, that armour wasn't around at the time of when the Emperor would be walking amongst the children. It would mainly be mark II and III and possibly IV.

Anyway, excellent job. What I like the most about your work nipples is you give everyone bulk and scale, I'm always banging on about skinny legs and all that. These certainly ain't no girly men.

Hey guys heres more of an update,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/JasonHeuser/EmperorofMankind-6.jpg

Aquatone-His armor isn't finished, I do think the sword works I modeled if after a claymore, and as far as the armor goes I didn't know that about the beaky helmet I will make sure to not use it. Thanks for the input sir, I see in your sig it says your a game designer...where do you work?

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

modeled if after a claymore

Of course, like I said it's all personal preference. I just like to go with the idea that with big guys come bigger weapons! And so forth. And I work for a company in san francisco.

really great piece, but there are two big mistakes that are bothering the crap out of me so i have to point them out.

the emperor of mankind never wore an imperial aquila, his armor only has single headed eagles of mankind (humanity)

so the two big eagles are supposed to be one head only

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr220/vash1023/emperor-1.png

http://gamingtp.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/horus_vs_emperor3.jpg

sometime he has two headed eagle, especially in the older artwork

looks great so far and I look forward to seeing more

yes but your going off an old pic that to the best of my knowledge is just an old mock up of the final battle. used as an original artwork with hardly any " fluff" behind it.

drawn before most of the story was even written.

and every "current" image of the emperor and his custodes that i can find, mainly pics in the horus heresy artwork are of a single headed eagle.

Vash1023: I agree that according to current cannon, the Emperor should only have the single headed eagle and thunder bolts as his personal icons. But back when I first saw that black and white Adrain Smith, Emperor Vs Horus, it came along with a story by Bill King describing the final moments off the heresy. It still remains to me the iconic image of the Emperor. I just wish I still had a copy of the book that story came in.

That black and white image is pants - disregard it.

I would stick the picture vash1023 put up - that is by far better known image of the Emperor and one that even the GW staff (at WHW as well) regard as the proper image of him.

I always think, why'd the emperor need a flaming sword when he had a massive eagle claw talong thing :L

Surely having two maiming devices is abit OTT? Then again we ARE talking about the emperor of mankind in the 41st millenium who can survive through death in the form of a giant light house for all his space faring subjects...

amazing artwork. Wish i had guts to try digital art but im a traditionalist. Good ol pen and paper for me.

yes but your going off an old pic that to the best of my knowledge is just an old mock up of the final battle. used as an original artwork with hardly any " fluff" behind it.

drawn before most of the story was even written.

and every "current" image of the emperor and his custodes that i can find, mainly pics in the horus heresy artwork are of a single headed eagle.

That image and the "current" image as you call it are both created by the same guy, just many years apart from one another. If you look at it its all there, they're on Horus' ship, sanguinius is all wrecked there on the ground and tyhe Emp and H-dog are about to throw down once and for all. I am clearly aware that the newer artwork is far superior and dudes lie Adrian Smith who have been with it awhile have clearly improved and really uped the ante on the whole genre of "sci-fi-fantasy art."

All that being said since I grew up reading and seeing those old images they still hold some weight for me as well. No matter how weird of a picture it is when I think of the golden throne I think of this:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=616&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1269939426

If you look through "Collected Visions" the HH artbook (which everyone who hasn't bought should) you can see tons of images (includeing the old-skool B&W but excluding Emperor-in-HR-Giger-wanna-be-throne-pod-magigy) and others of Custodes were there are two-headed eagles in them. The 'custodes Land Raider' is one I can think of right off the top.

Ultimately what I am trying to say in my usually bizarre way is that the art portrayals of 40k universe are a continually evolving thing and although they are ironing out the details as they go ( two-headed eagle vs one headed eagle, etc) they are also known for just changing them up at will. These aren't real things, they are things that at least dozens of people have contributed to throughout tens of years, not one absolute truth or anything. I mean what's cannon? HH artbooks which were originally made for a CCG? 2nd ed fluff? 5th ed fluff? Rogue trader only? Oh god maybe even fan-fiction? BL books? Codexs only? were is the line?

Mr. Nipples I am really digging your style and your thread am looking forward to seeing more...

Dudes, he's the Emperor. Surely you're not suggesting that the emperor of all mankind in the 41st millenium can only afford one suit of armour? Why wouldn't he have one with a couple of 2 headed eagles on it, because that seems to be the symbol of the Imperium?

As a traitor though, whenever I see that pic above with him with his leg up, looking all gung-ho, I have to think "What a ponce!"

:ermm:

Cheers!

John

Archived