Death Raiders

wise_crak

Well today is my birthday and i been sitting on this for about a week now and though the first hour of my birthday should be spent posting this!

got a couple of test models done up and couple of relevent terrain peices planned for this army

name wise i like Death Raiders but tempted to go with Storm Avengers and changed the skull to a lightning bolt

well just let me know what you think and enjoy the read! ;) (sorry its long but i LOVE fluff :tu: )

Chapter Name: Death Raiders

Symbol: Black Skull in white circle

Founding: late 26th

Location: Unknown, beyond eastern edge of the Ultima Segmentum

Colouring: prominently Purple

Battle Cry: varies from squad to squad

The Death Raiders are a newly created space marine chapter from the 26th founding and were sent to the Eastern fringe Ultima Segmentum to their new home planet, the newly created chapter travelled through the warp and arrived at their new planet and within moments of stabilizing from exiting the warp the fleet came under attack from an ork fleet, the Death Raiders fought in perfect order defending the supply ships while they powered up their warp drives to escape and shot down any ork landing ship going to the planet, the area was over run with ork ships so a tactical retreat was declared by chapter master. All ships turned about and activated their warp engines just as an ork rok came out of the warp right in front of them. The warp shifted and twisted as ships entered, sending the ships wildly off course, emergency protocols were activated and all ships de-warped. Upon scanning the fleet only a few of the space marine fleet had survived, supply ships were torn in half, the imperial guard ships were beyond repair and survivors were minimal. upon trying to contact Terra and trying to find out where they were it was discovered they were far away....very far away much deeper in the Eastern fringe. Beyond the marked end of the eastern front

The Last surviving Battle Barrage’s located a distress signal in ancient terran on a small ‘Feral’ class planet so used as a base. So all surviving ships so went into a high orbit with as many servitors, techpriests and techmarines as possible drastically repairing the ships, rescue operations to save any IG, and IG ships began.

Communications with Terra was established and rescue was out of the question due to the light of the Astronomican being non excitant so far out. The Death Raiders knew warp travel back into the galaxy would be difficult this far from terra and travelling through normal space alone be to dangerous and long.

Further study of the planet found ancient the ancient Terran ship. The technology on board was beyond the Master of the Forges understanding, yet due to its obvious Terran design the techmarines declared it clean. Aboard the centre of the ship a large ring was found covered in symbols unrecognisable to anyone. Identical symbols were located on a near-by device and after much study the purpose of the ship.

The ring, later called a "Stargate", was discovered to be a stable wormhole to other stargates across what so far has only been discovered to lead to planets on the eastern fringe of the eastern sectors. The Death Raiders hope one day to find a stargate either close to imperial space where they can be reconnected to the Imperium to bring back their findings and use the stargates as a way of assaulting tau worlds and the Tyranids coming from the East by surprise.

The gate was removed from the crashed Terran ship and transported to the Battle barrage the gate was constantly in use to travel to other planets to bring more and more planets under imperial rule and purge any xenos all the while gaining supplies and looking for a way back into the system.

This meant that the chapter became fleet based out side of the known galaxy. As dangerous as the warp is it meant travelling deep within it for long periods of time with out the light it is the quickest way back. So the fleet would skim the warp for fixed periods of time dropping out to find where the fleet had materialised while doing this the gate would be activated to locate any planets near by which need to be visited.

Organisation:

Due to large losses the chapter has had to re-organise themselves, each squad is represented by a colour (red squad, blue squad etc), each squad is reliable for training themselves, and failure to do this is punishable. Due to each squad training themselves each squad tends to have its own style (red squad favouring melta weapons leads them to armour busting, orange squad favouring jump packs so became assault marines). Although the chapter was newly created there was still time for first company to be filled. The Sternguard, chapter master and command squad are gold squad. Transports are assigned to a crew and stay with them, they also get a colour to please the machine spirit. Yet Heavy weapon tanks are still allocated to the armoury.

The Imperial Guard Attachment was a heavily damaged in the initial battle and warp travel and only a small amount of guardsmen survived and escaping in vendettas, valkeries and other aircrafts leaving a heavily influenced air force which takes orders from the chapter master. These are again divided up into coloured squads.

‘The Betrayers’

A tactical squad was sent through a newly discovered gate address with an IG attachment and never returned the green squad was declared lost and a memorial was created aboard the Battle Barrage. Yet one day the gate activated and out stepped Green squad their armour changed and modified they were asked how they survived so long and whether repairs of this extent were really needed. It later came to light that "The Betrayers" had changed to the greater good and remained loyal to the Imperium and were chased through the gate never to be seen again.

During battles with the tau or other forces when squad seem beaten green squad will appear and help out breather. Although their help is never wished and rewarded by helping out their brothering green squad hope that one day the rest of the Death Raiders will see the greater good. (Represented in army list as legion of the dammed and models converted with tau bits)

Conspiracy theories within the chapter:

Due to the break down of the chapter and self maintenance of chapter many rumours have appeared around the chapter.

One of which is the gate system itself, it is rumoured that the ship was sent to position gates at the edge of the galaxy for easy transport around that end of the galaxy due to the dimming of the light and finally linked to the emperors golden throne for almost instant travel.

Another rumour is MotF and the techmarines creating its own strike force for an unknown reason.

And the last rumour is the chapter master although being in charge of the chapter; there is a higher power in the background.

Hey guys

so i been working on the death raiders idea!

and im going to learn from my mistakes from previous armies and fix them in this army

problem one - keep the paint scheme simple - last army was a block schemed so took ages to even get a tac. squad done, the one after that was white which is a pain!

problem 2 - dont force too many weird and wonderful ideas into one army

problem 3 - forgetting im a big noob at modeling! i got carried away with my last army and went for an exotic lava base scheme, obviously being no pro they didnt look great! so going back to problem 1 keep it simple and problem 2 dont get carried away!

so rant over! i decided these bad boys will be on a feral class planet so keeping it simple with some sand and flock!

went for a nice simple scheme with a small twist

heres the Current Death Raiders records that was last to Terra:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/griddeathraidersv1.jpg

and here is a test of a marine i had hanging around

(painted in Gold Squad Colouring) he isnt exactly finished just a quick slap of paint here and there to get a test out

bolter is going to change colour to a dirty white rather than a dirty grey

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P1040031.jpg

Well what you think??

Wisey :HQ:

army list time!:

right this list is part fluff and part game wise

(HQ) Kantor

attactched (elite) sternguard 10 man 2 meltas and a combi flamer

transport: drop pod

reason: i heared this was a good combo and it would make sence for the surviving marines to include at least one squad who was better than the rest

(HQ)Chaplain w/ jump pack

attached (fast attack) 5 man assault squad

transport: their jump packs

reason i heared this was also a good combo and fluff wise and this rushing up board would be a threat and give kantors crew extra time, it shows when a planet is visited the chap. is sent through with the assault squad (converted from dark angels for the religious look in robes) to tell the planet of the imperium

(troops) 2 tactical squads: red squad = one melta and multi melta, blue squad = flamer, missle

transport rhino with hunter kill and dozer

reason: red squad (melta) is the armour busters which i felt was lacking from list

(troops) scout squad - snipers and camo cloaks

reason: game wise to appear near board edge to snipe shots at the enemy and offer another threat to save kantors crew

(elite) ironclad 2hunterkillers, assault launchers, ccw, SH

reason: well they can fit through a stargate so if your walking into a battle zone you want to send something that can take some shots!

(fast attack) attack bike

reason: had some points to spare and it makes sence to rush a heavy bolter through a stargate for quick cover! plus a rushing unit to give kantor more time

(heavy) 2 vindicators extra armour and siege sheild

reason: love them in pairs, big gun each!

(Heavy) thunderfire

reason: cheap and effective easy to hide and long range, big boom!, fluff wise can fit through stargate!

(elite) either another ironclad (for same reason as above) or use a legion of the dammed to represent the betrayers (green squad) who defected to tau and appear when their previous brothers are in trouble yet disapear after battle is over!

thoughts? ;)

Wisey :)

Cool concept. You might want to just go through the writing once again, theres a lot of spelling and punctuation errors; this doesn't really matter if your not doing a IA though.

How many points is the list?

Cool concept. You might want to just go through the writing once again, theres a lot of spelling and punctuation errors; this doesn't really matter if your not doing a IA though.

How many points is the list?

thanks, yeah sorry about the spelling and punctuation i rushed through typing it (places to be) but wanted to get it up while i was still in the mood to type it haha!

when i finish the army and do a hall of fame post i will re type it all again for better clarity :P

its 1850 one or the second ironclad or 1845 if i go for legion of dammed although might just give sterguard another combo weapon for 5 points!! haha

Wisey :P

quick update :

struggling to get a good picture either too dark or the metallics shiney

nearly done with first HQ and blue squad (tac) just need to buy a new colour (for leather)

bases also need doing

small problem i dont like the white weaponry! i need a new colour i might either go back to black washing fortress grey or hit them with red bolters place your votes - red, dark grey or other!

Wisey :P

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys,

just a quick update (i will add pics tomoz, the parents might think it odd me taking pics this time of the day!)

blue squad (tac) is done bar the leather (tomorrows job) and needs basing which meanss....trip to the beach wooo! :sweat:

blue squads rhino is done for the most part might do some door decorations but dont know what yet

red squad is underway no marine is the same! so i spent the best part of today trying differnt poses and positions

HQ is the same as blue squad

and finally shout ot to member 'Viva Metalica'! if i hadnt seen his blog i would never have thought of this colour scheme!

Wisey :)

hey guys small update:

i deleted the picture of blue squad and hq by accident :(

well heres the beginings of red squad:

reloading man:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P2010002.jpg

life signs detector man (dunno what to add to his other arm hmm)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P2010001.jpg

multimelta man (had his legs blown off when he blew up a tank so the techmarine put him on a anti-grav plate :P

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P2010006.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P2010004.jpg

holding a bolter in a new pose

and melta man!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/P2010003.jpg

there are other but untill i get a gun on them they look boring :(

Wisey :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys

heres the core of my army nearly finished

red squad - melta

blue squad - all purpose