Skimmer Cover Question

fuzbuckle

This used to be explicitly forbidden back in 4th Ed., but it is no longer specifically forbidden. There are similar rules, however:

From page 76 of the BRB, on turbo-boosting:

A unit using turbo-boosters must end its move at least 18" away from its starting point to claim its cover save, as it relies on flat-out speed
(note: that passage was only on the Turbo-Boosters USR, and does not directly apply to vehicles.

From page 62 of the BRB, on Vehicles and Assaults:

Note: When assessing how far a vehicle has moved, only take into account the actual distance covered from its original position. Moving backwards and forwards or driving around in circles does not help!
Although you could logically expand this rule to cover moving flat-out (using the precedent established with the turbo-boosters rule), the counter-argument would be that as this rule is in the Vehicles and Assaults section, it does not apply to Skimmers moving flat-out.

Finally, from page 57 of the BRB, on Vehicles and Movement:

Pivoting on the spot alone does not count as moving, so a vehicle that only pivots in the Movement phase counts as stationary...
Therefore, they cannot just leave the vehicle in place and say it moved flat-out, but they have to physically move it for it to count (even if this movement is in a circle).

So, my conclusion is, although it is a somewhat iffy move (no pun intended), it is technically legal as long as your opponent gets out their measuring tape and physically moves the vehicle flat-out (even if this flat-out move is in a circle). I don't like it, and it could be considered by some (myself included) to be cheating by breaking the spirit of the rules, but there is nothing preventing someone from getting the skimmer cover save by moving flat-out in a circle (or back and forth, or whatever you want to call it).

The game almost always is about displacement [length from starting point to finish point] rather than distance covered for this kind of thing.

Otherwise, Rhinos would drive 3.01 backwards and then forwards so you need 6s to hit when assaulting them and when ramming, Baal Preds would go 8"backwards and 10" forwards.

It is just not like that :D

The game almost always is about displacement [length from starting point to finish point] rather than distance covered for this kind of thing.

Otherwise, Rhinos would drive 3.01 backwards and then forwards so you need 6s to hit when assaulting them and when ramming, Baal Preds would go 8"backwards and 10" forwards.

It is just not like that ;)

That was my thought too, and the examples from the rulebook provided by Khornehunter, I think, reflect that. Thanks to both of you for you input.

Sadly that is not true.

You do use displacement when turbo-boosting, you also use it when determining what number you hit on in assault.

Basic vehicle movement does not use displacement.

BRB pg.57 "This means a vehicle may combine forward and reverse movement in the same turn providing it does not exceed it's maximum move."

The Ramming/Tank Shock examples would not be legal.You may pivot and then have to go straight ahead.

I believe it is an oversight and the Flat Out cover should be using displacement, but it is doesn't.

Archived