My comeback tour (Space Marine Log)

xscottfergox

I just want the army to look striking and practical. . . Which rules out the pale pastey colours :P

I'm thinking a largely urban fighting experience, so dark colours are a must. But i also want some form of 'bling' just to make the models pop

I'm thinking a largely urban fighting experience, so dark colours are a must..

Why?

There is an Astartes quote that goes along the lines of.. "I wear my colours proudly...", so I don't see why they have to be dark.

Maybe go for a combination of red and black? Very threatening and fear evoking, plus in darker more dense areas all the enemy sees is a flash of red before that red becomes their blood!

sm.php?b62c=@haLvy_i6tE4.iakk7@_@@_@_i8TzJ.hOIBr@@i8TzJi8TzJ@@@@_@@@_@@.@.@@@_@@@@_@@.hOIBrhk8Yt@@_@_@@.@_@@hOIBr.&

Really, really, crap.. But it emphasises more what I mean;

Majority of the armour is black, but there are patches - of varying sizes - of red, going for the flashes of blood red in the dark thing?

Obviously, the soft armour is just a random colour that didn't conflict, but it shows what I eman even with the crap scheme!

Aye i see what you are getting at. I guess it's really hard to get an idea of what it'll look like on the tabletop on an actual model.

It doesn't have to be red - any colour that evokes a sense of danger or threat, like yellow :P - will do.

Like you say though, you won't know until you try it - so I;d suggest gettng a trio of minis and giving each one a differnt scheme and style and seeing what fits.

Only problem is I am very strapped for cash atm. I got my eye on a few things on ebay that may be worth it though. I just can't pay GW prices. They weer expensive when I joined the hobby in third edition. They are reciulous now.

Here's a scheme incorporating yellow

sm.php?b62c=@h9EYH_i3Y0S.hJy5U_@@@_@@i9uYA@.@@..@_@@_@@@_@@_@_@@@__@@@__@..@@@_@@_@@@@_@.iakk7&

Now that is threatening.

To be honest, although you can't actually do it on the Painter, maybe - if you have the spare gear - try painting a base scheme of black and then add hazard stripes in various places? It breaks up the black and gives more of those "flashes" I was trying to talk about.

I think i'd save hazarding for the vehicles and maybe weapons...

But i think we are onto a winner here..

In that case, depending on your painting skills, maybe try some form of camo? where you end up with patches of yellow blending into the black, again to create that flashes of colour effect?

Don't think I have ever seen camo effectively used on space marines. But if you could find an example of what you mean i may give it a go..

Even better idea:

There are images of old Rogue Trader Marines with tiger stripe-style paint schemes - Mantis Warriors may be one? - maybe go for that? The strips/slashes of yellow across, rather than camo?

The Astral Honeybees..

Oh yeaaah :)

The Space Honeybees.

Seems much more threating and in keeping with GW naming traditions!

I beg to differ:

Astral Claws

Astral Knights

Astral Fists

Space Wolves

Space Sharks

Astral: 3

Space: 2

Can't argue with cold hard facts :(

There are images of old Rogue Trader Marines with tiger stripe-style paint schemes - Mantis Warriors may be one? - maybe go for that? The strips/slashes of yellow across, rather than camo?

Like this?

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos25/vttgrshtb.jpg

Pretty much, but because it's less about camo and over-use of yellow you make the stripes/slashes the "lesser" part of the scheme - much in the way you've done with the last painter image.

Think i may try that with red or a dark orange as yellow might be too much like a wasp then ;)

But thanks. I've made some progress finally lol

Here's another sketch, I like the proportions of this a little more although his right forearm is a bit asymetrical lol

http://i52.tinypic.com/2n86cnl.jpg

Archived