Iron Warriors with Codex:SM?

LOUDERMAN

Yeah if you do want to theme your army to a concept (a subjective concept mind you) of a Word Bearers, Iron Warriors or Night Lords or any of the Legions armies then he can do so albeit it might be argued that in doing so he would not be helping himself or herself in competetiveness. Its all very possible using the current list, its just that there is nothing stopping two armies of different Legions actually looking the same apart from the player himself.

Many of us can agree that is not perhaps the preferred way of doing things, but we can't deny it is possible.

Pretty much every Infantry unit is unsuitable by virtue of using the rules for loyal Space Marines, which have been distinguishable from the rules for Chaos Space Marines by a special morale rule ever since 2nd Edition. Imperial Space Marines are noble and dedicated and get a special morale rule to represent that. Chaos Marines are selfish and twisted, and do not get this rule. That was even sepcifically pointed out as being one of the key differences in the army lists of Imperial Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines in the introduction of the 3rd Edition Codex Chaos Space Marines. The Codex Space Marines also lacks some of the trademark Iron Warrior units like Obliterators and monstrous Daemon Engines as represented by the Defiler.

As such, no matter how nice a Thunderfire Cannon may sound for your Iron Warriors, the Codex Space Marines is horrible at representing them. The Iron Warriors (like all undivided Legions) are "Chaos Space Marines" first, and favouring heavy war machines second. You could have an army of only Chaos Marines but no heavy machines and still legitimately call them "Iron Warriors", but you could hardly call an army that included several heavy machines but no actual Chaos Marines "Iron Warriors".

in ADBs short story in fear the alien the night lords end up with a working assault cannon

I cant see why the iron warriors couldnt steal a thunderfire cannon

I had the Thunderfire Cannon as a "black" unit in my list comparison, counting it as a unit that had not previously been available for Iron Warriors but which would fit their theme.

But I have a problem with your reasoning:

I cant see why the iron warriors couldnt steal a thunderfire cannon

No, that is not the most inconceivable thing. But maybe they could steal Eldar Bright Lances, or Tau Railguns, or Leman Russ Battletanks? Why can't they just have every vehicle or weapon available in any Codex? May they shouldn't. Maybe Chaos should have a certain array of weapons and vehicles, as do Eldar, Orks, loyalist, etc.

Archived