Red Scorpion Sternguard

henrythesecond

Hi guys,

I'm not usually lured into the 'must-get-the-latest-codex-and-army' hysteria, but I must confess to being

seduced by the whole Badab War fluff. Consequently, I've begun building a Red Scorpion Army around

the fantastic Carab Culln mini from FW. One of my buddies has started up a Mantis Warriors list too, so

we're looking forward to some hardcore Badab goodness in a few months time.

However, back on topic, I've been reading through my copy of IA 9 and also the Red Scorps section of

IA 4. Aside from realising I'm going to need to drastically rethink my usual SM tactics (keeping with fluff,

I'm not going to be using Infiltrate or Scout USRs) and that I'll need to convert one of my current LRs

to a Helios variant, I've come across what I believe to be a rather decent little tactic.

In Imperial Armour 4: The Anphelion Project, pp122, under Purity Above All it states:

"Any Red Scorpions Tactical or Veteran Squad may upgrade its Sergeant to an Apothecary for +25pts."

This of course confers Feel No Pain onto the units in question. Whilst questionable for tactical squads

due to the loss of the PF or Melta Bomb Sgt (except perhaps a dedicated objective-holding squad),

if you took an Apothecary with a Drop Pod Sternguard unit, I think it's well worth the loss of the Sgt's

options to give the unit FNP.

Anyone feel this is a viable tactic or are the Sgt loadout options more useful? And would it be as useful

on Tac Squads?

Absolutely. FNP is an amazing booster that makes units unkillable and a terror to those they assault. Its addition to the game almost requires codex marines to take power weapon spam and terminator assault squads or honor-guard like units just to survive. Good luck playing the "official" Badab war campaign. We played the "Texas Version" about a year ago thatt the Fly Lords of Terra put out and it was awesome.

If that works, I'd be much more interested in taking them for Vanguard Vets than Sternguard. Then you can still take power weapons and the like.

However, given that they are written for 4th, I think it may be a bit too powerful.

Archived