Titan's Vulcan Mega Bolter vs Flyers

I honestly wasn't sure if this was an Apocalypse question or a rules question, but we'll start here.

I have read numerous times on these boards that the Vulcan Mega Bolter is good against flyers, but as I see it, unless it is explicitly pintle mounted or otherwise counts as an AA gun, you're only (on average) going to get approximately one glance on an AV10 flyer per round of shooting. Doesn't sound awesome to me.

I also found another post from over a year ago where someone stated that the Titan's weapons definitely do NOT count as AA, but there were no responses whereas usually there's a chorus of agreement. Maybe that was absent because it's so patently obvious.

There is always the possibility that I'm blind and this is addressed in the Apocalypse book. If that's the case, a page number would be awesome. Thanks!

I think what people are going for is the fact that you get 15 shots at the thing. Statistically, some of those are going to be 6's, and some of those 6's are really going to hurt.

I completely forget what the STR of the VMB is, but I'm sure that it counts for something.

Also remember that glancing can still cause it to crash (if I remember correctly). You don't need it to blow up, so much as simply knock it out of the sky.

The Vulcan Megabolter simply has the largest potential of titan weapons to kill a flyer- not the least because its the only one that doesnt use a template!

That being said, it is strength 6, so against most flyers its glancing on a 4.... thats not bad.

So no, its not an AA mount, but that doesnt mean it isnt going to get the job done more often than not.

I had two super-charged vulkan mega bolters on those super-heavy baneblade things... don't remember what they are called.... shoot at my flyers in apoc for six turns... I lost 0 flyers and my luck wasn't super-amazing (I took some damage but I survived) so for AA I would suggest something like hydras... if you have no dedicated AA and nothing better to shoot at then by all means fire that mega bolter at a flyer...

Archived