The Phoenix Legion

demented

Hi all

Been a long time lurker but not much of a poster.

As my new years resolution I decided to get into the gaming side of the hobby (I'va always just painted :) )

So I needed an army to take to the field! Thankfully I have a bits box that is overflowing.

After locking myself away for a few day sthis is the colour scheme I have decided on.

I initially did a few concept models in this scheme a few years back but those models have since been stripped of there colour.

They are currently on a crusade to get there colour back.... ;)

The power sword and banner are untouched at the moment as im considering the colour options and designs (any ideas?)

As this is the test model feel free to critisize away.

http://www.sowhatsmd.com/pl02.jpg

I agree. The painting is fantastic, i am very much looking forward to seeing more of this chapter!

As for the colour of the sword, you could go down an electric blue, on the edges and such. ;)

Thank you very much for all your kind words, I'm glad you all like the model!

As for the colour of the sword, you could go down an electric blue, on the edges and such. ;)

That was the colour I was leaning towards! There is already to much red on the model and green/purple would look a little out of place.

Can I ask how you painted the cream colour?

I will post up a recipie a bit later as i'm at work at the moment and can't remember all the colour names. It's relatively simple though ^_^

Looks alot like the Howling Griffon colour scheme.

I have had a quick look at the Howling Griffons and yes they are quite similar! Its quartered like the griffons but the red is darker and cream instead of yellow. I can use pictures of them as reference to help with colours (like power swords) so thank you.

Hope to have another update sometime this weekend.

As for the colour of the sword, you could go down an electric blue, on the edges and such. :P

That was the colour I was leaning towards! There is already to much red on the model and green/purple would look a little out of place.

Glad to hear it. :P

Looking forward to more!

Love the paint scheme and quality of the painting!

Really looking forward to seeing your next models. Are you going to be adding any details to the banner?

I go with Deathknight and reckon you should go with crackling orange lightning coruscating over the blade.

Keep up the good work :lol:

Hmm i've never really considered orange on a power weapon before. I will see if I can find some examples as it may go.

The chapter symbol will be a Black phoenix (very much like that in a knights tale if you have seen the film) so I may stick with blue.. decisions decisions :)

As for the rest of the model, banner will be finished eventually (once I can work out what to put on it :) ) and wings are a maybe. not sure if there overkill on the model or not.

I might try and attach them and let you see what I mean in a photo.

I did a quick tut on the cream, did it in an hour so not as neat as it should be in the photos.... :P

1. Basecoat of GW Khemri Brown

2. Paint VMC Dark Sand leaving GW Khemri brown in the recesses

3. Edge Highlight with VMC Ivory

4. Glaze recesses with GW Devlan mud and then glaze all over with GW Gryphonne Sepia (make sure they dry inbetween)

The amount of glazes depends on the final colour. Here I have used one GW Devlan Mud and two GW Gryphonne sepia glazes).

5. Re-edge with VMC Ivory

I used the VMC colours as I could'nt get the same effect with Bleached bone. First time I have used VMC but I was suitibly impressed.

http://www.sowhatsmd.com/pl03.jpg

Make sure the Glaze is quite watery and theres not much paint on the brush as you don't want the glaze to pool.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Hey, great work! I really dig that color scheme (no one quarters anymore!), but I'm actually most impressed by that initial test model. It's fairly simple, but conveys a lot of power. Thumbs up, can't wait to see more! ;)

Demented my personal thoughts on the wings for the Backpack would be to leave them off as at the moment the model has a knightly feel which may be altered somewhat with the addition of wings. Just my pennies worth though.

I like the idea of the Black pheonix.

Also great little tutorial I really love seeing things like this as provides alot of inspiration for others.

So what models you working on at the moment? You working from an army list or just what takes your fancy?

Oh well back to work I guess! :P

I used the VMC colours as I could'nt get the same effect with Bleached bone. First time I have used VMC but I was suitibly impressed.

http://www.sowhatsmd.com/pl03.jpg

Make sure the Glaze is quite watery and theres not much paint on the brush as you don't want the glaze to pool.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

Dont worry lads, we'll hide in this battenburg factory.

http://www.erantsplendens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/battenburg1.jpg

Dont worry lads, we'll hide in this battenburg factory.

http://www.erantsplendens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/battenburg1.jpg

Camo is for the weak!

As for the army, I'm working on the scouts atm. No army list just making it up as i go... ^_^

Amazing models!

I've decided to take up painting again and to create my own chapter. Was thinking down the lines of a Phoenix theme....bugger. Guess it's good to find out before you start ^_^.

Just a suggestion, in maybe keeping with the phoenix theme, perhaps painting up the wings (ie: chest eagle) as if they were fiery themselves. It may not really tie in with the colours all that well, but food for thought all the same. Even doing them in a black and highlighting in a dark blue or purple to match your black phoenix emblem design.

Look forward to seeing more of your chapter come to life.

Cheers.

Hi all!

Not had much time to do much painting but I wanted to put the test model to bed so on went the headphones :)

I tried blue and orange on the sword but neither turned out to successful. In the end I went for plain ol' silver.

I will most likely revisit the sword later once I can get an effect I like.

I had been considering darkening the chest eagle when I first posted it so I gave it a try as well. I think I prefer it dark (Hard to see in the photos as it's a night here at the moment so the pictures are a little dark.).

I also did some work on the banner. Need to tidy up the head as I think its just slightly to wide on the right. I'm considering some extra effects to liven it up a bit (maybe somthing flamey or some lighning comming off the phoenx) so watch this space :P

All thats left to do on the model are a few finishing touches here and there (Going to practice a bit on adding a little damage and scripts etc before I add them to the mode).

http://www.sowhatsmd.com/pl04.jpg

I've decided to take up painting again and to create my own chapter. Was thinking down the lines of a Phoenix theme....bugger. Guess it's good to find out before you start :).

I would say go for it! Don't let my thread stop you. Plenty of space in the universe... :P

Thanks for all your comments

Archived