True-scale space marine

magnefjord

This is my first time working with GS and I was inspired by Lamenter to do this project as you might see on the helmet. I alredy know that arms are a little too big, and if you see anything else that I might need working on you just tell me.

Here are the pictures (hopefully). I think I figured it out how to upload the pics.

gallery_40324_5627_1376207.jpg

gallery_40324_5627_1742637.jpg

gallery_40324_5627_607697.jpg

gallery_40324_5627_1376207.jpg

C&C are welcome.

I am sorry for my bad english, I am swedish.

I agree with Little Lost Swordsman, if you can afford to aquire some clay shapers, it will give you a much smoother effect. Overall it is a good first attempt mate, once you smooth out your GS you will start to see notable improvements straight away!

You need the clay shapers for sure! and a little Vaseline so as to prevent the tools sticking to the GS.

Of the model you picture only the helmet looks good.

There are some pictures on my blog of my own true scale attempts... and trust me its all in the clay shapers!

You need the clay shapers for sure! and a little Vaseline so as to prevent the tools sticking to the GS.

Of the model you picture only the helmet looks good.

There are some pictures on my blog of my own true scale attempts... and trust me its all in the clay shapers!

Thanks for the tip, but I cant seem to find any store where I live that sells clay shapers. I am glad that you like the helmet, it was the most tricky part of the entire model.

Thanks for the tip, but I cant seem to find any store where I live that sells clay shapers. I am glad that you like the helmet, it was the most tricky part of the entire model.

I had to get mine from eBay.

They come in three basic sizes and three hardnesses. Pale grey is the softest tip (most flexible) and black is the hardest tip (least flexible). I have two sets... a large soft and a small hard set. Also a sharp clean Xacto blade is essential.

I'd recommend taking a look at Master of the Forge. This is the site where I get my info on all this stuff. Read ALL his true/art scale posts. By the looks of your most recent pics you already have ;)

I am sorry, but I dont know how to post pictures here.

It is very easy.

1. At the top of this page, you will find a link that says My Albums. Click it.

2. Now create a new album by simply clicking on New Album

3. After you created the album, you will see a list of all your albums. You should only have one now.

4. Next to your album is a register that says Select an operation. Click it and choose Bulk Upload

5. Now you have four empty spaces where you can select up to four pictures on your computer. Once you've selected four pictures, click on Post multiple files

6. Your pictures should now be uploaded in the album you created. When you select them, you can find several URLs to the right.

7. Just copy the one next to BBCode: and paste it into your post.

8. The image should now magically appear in your post and you no longer force people to log on to Facebook or flood them with advertisments on ImageShack and consorts...

Congratulations! :P

About the clay shapers, I got my from Panduro Hobby. They should have a store near you if you live close to any semi-large city. I live in Lund, and they had them, and that is not a large shop. The soft ones they have, at least. I bought a pack of 3 large and 3 small ones. And yes, have a look at Master of the Forge, I learned a lot from him. Also, if you like, have a look at my blog to see my try at True Scale.

Lycka till!

- Natanael

Hey dude, besides what has been mentioned, the bolts on the outside knees should be removed, the legs are too terminatory with them on. I also am in the process of learning GS and the skills for Art Scaling, keep plugging away and you'll soon see improvements.

Keep up the good work,

Jono

About the clay shapers, I got my from Panduro Hobby. They should have a store near you if you live close to any semi-large city. I live in Lund, and they had them, and that is not a large shop. The soft ones they have, at least. I bought a pack of 3 large and 3 small ones. And yes, have a look at Master of the Forge, I learned a lot from him. Also, if you like, have a look at my blog to see my try at True Scale.

Lycka till!

- Natanael

Vet du om dom har dom fortfarande, för jag kan inte hitta dom varken i affären eller på deras hemsida. Det vore bra om dom hade det för det tar bara en timme eller så för mej att ta mej ner till lund.

Lycka till!

- Natanael

Vet du om dom har dom fortfarande, för jag kan inte hitta dom varken i affären eller på deras hemsida. Det vore bra om dom hade det för det tar bara en timme eller så för mej att ta mej ner till lund.

magnefjord I really don't think you need to drive arouned everywhere just to get some clay shapers, just normal sculpting tools have always worked just fine with me in my true-scaling endeavours.

Lycka till!

- Natanael

Det skulle förvåna mig mycket om de inte hade dem. Om du har tid att vänta så kan jag ta en sväng inom där i nästa vecka någon gång när jag ändå är i stan och kolla. Var bor du? En timme från lund verkar vara typ kristianstad eller ovanför helsingborg någonstans :pirate:

For you non-swedes; We're discussing if a certain store have them or not.

- Natanael

Lycka till!

- Natanael

Det skulle förvåna mig mycket om de inte hade dem. Om du har tid att vänta så kan jag ta en sväng inom där i nästa vecka någon gång när jag ändå är i stan och kolla. Var bor du? En timme från lund verkar vara typ kristianstad eller ovanför helsingborg någonstans :P

For you non-swedes; We're discussing if a certain store have them or not.

- Natanael

Jag bor i Kattarp mellan Helsingborg och Ängelholm. Jodå, jag kan vänta, jag är nämligen bara hemma på helgerna ändå.

Looks good. I see that you follow master of the forge's way of doing them. I tried that in the beginning, but after the first one I felt that the armour sculpting was a bit hard, and so resorted to doing it a nother way. I trim the front plate as he does, but then I just glue the torso together as usual. Later I attach it to the legs with a ball of GS that I smooth out to be the "inner layer" of the stomach armour. Then I sculpt/put GS all over the torso in the shape of whatever mark you want. A lot easier, and it is just as big, and I think it looks as good. It also gives you the option of sculpting smaller, harder, stuff on the torso if you want to challenge yourself.

Havent been able to have a look at the store yet.

- Natanael

Looks good. I see that you follow master of the forge's way of doing them. I tried that in the beginning, but after the first one I felt that the armour sculpting was a bit hard, and so resorted to doing it a nother way. I trim the front plate as he does, but then I just glue the torso together as usual. Later I attach it to the legs with a ball of GS that I smooth out to be the "inner layer" of the stomach armour. Then I sculpt/put GS all over the torso in the shape of whatever mark you want. A lot easier, and it is just as big, and I think it looks as good. It also gives you the option of sculpting smaller, harder, stuff on the torso if you want to challenge yourself.

Havent been able to have a look at the store yet.

- Natanael

Thanks for the tip. I might try that on the third one.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Magnefjord, well done on your work so far it is coming together nicely. Clay shapers are a good solution to the problem of smoothing out a sculpt but their biggest use is in working on areas of flesh and muscle due to the soft tips stopping any overly sharp areas being formed. For the sort of results that you are trying to achieve with power armour add the putty to the miniature and roughly shape it so that it is where you want it then leave it to cure for half an hour to forty minutes then go back over your sculpted areas with you sculpting tool and vaseline to smooth out the work you have done. This means that you can apply the putty when it is sticky and shape it then by leaving it to cure slightly it is easier to smooth as it offers more resistance, make sure that the tools you use are smooth and well maintained (dont let small peices of putty dry and stick to them) otherwise you will leave scrapes in your hard work rather than a smooth finish. Keep up the good work and remember to experiment with different tools and make some yourself, I use an old pen with a needle sculpted on to it also a cocktail stick coated in super glue and sanded down to a smooth finish.

Looks pretty good. I suggest using Vaseline if your not using it already. I haven't gotten my hands on clay shapers yet but they are perfect for smoothing especially on armour. Also if you want to try out some other "true scale" techniques look for a user named Apologist. He may be on here but hes definetely on DakkaDakka and WarSeer. His artscale Ultramarines are the bomb (I have hopes to start a similar marine very soon)

Archived