Hellhounds and Night Fight...

ShinyRhino

How do Hellhounds interact with Night Fight rules?

hellhounds normally place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon barrel, and then maneuver the wide end around, ensuring it is no closer to the barrel than the short end.

How would this work with Night Fight, on the off chance the Hellhound rolls a spotting distance less than 12"? Does the 'Hound place the template within the 12" regardless, and still hit anything under it, or does the 'Hound have to roll a successful spotting distance before being allowed to place the template?

While on Hell Hounds, how does it interact with Night Fields? Night Fields reduce the range of the weapon by 6 but do not affect template weapons. First time we came across this we went well it's a template weapon, not affected. But then it came up today at my LGS and they decided it was a 6 inch range rather than 12. Any thoughts on it?

if you cant see it you cant shoot at it... simples

Apart from whirlwinds, which just scatter 3D6" if it's out of the spotting distance.

Which is kinda funny for Barrage weapons. You have twooptions for them during a Night Fight turn...attempt to spot and fire using 2d6 scatter, or don't attempt to spot, fire away, but roll 3d6" scatter. One of those rock-versus-hard-place situations.

For the Nightfield thing- the Hellhound is a template weapon. It is fairly unique to have a range value, but the weapon profile lists the range as 'template'. Thats pretty straightforward.

Apart from whirlwinds, which just scatter 3D6" if it's out of the spotting distance.

Which is kinda funny for Barrage weapons. You have twooptions for them during a Night Fight turn...attempt to spot and fire using 2d6 scatter, or don't attempt to spot, fire away, but roll 3d6" scatter. One of those rock-versus-hard-place situations.

My interpretation is that you declare to fire, check spotting distance, if you are outside it, then roll 3D6" for scatter.

For the Nightfield thing- the Hellhound is a template weapon. It is fairly unique to have a range value, but the weapon profile lists the range as 'template'. Thats pretty straightforward.

Their point was that once the template has been placed, with the narrow end with 12 inches only then is it treated like a template weapon as per the wording of the codex. Their point was that because it isn't treated like a template weapon until afterwards the range is affected.

Their point was that once the template has been placed, with the narrow end with 12 inches only then is it treated like a template weapon as per the wording of the codex. Their point was that because it isn't treated like a template weapon until afterwards the range is affected.

And thats a reasonable house rule, one that I would accept in a heartbeat.

However, RAW its a template weapon, wich has the advantage of not being affected.

Not to highjack this thread but.. I am pretty sure ^^^ is not how it works is it? When you roll to "spot" something you are rolling to "see" it and thus would not shoot at something that was not there? I may be taking too much away from the eldar tears rule but I thought this was sort of ambiguous to the nightfight rule just one less die to roll.

And thats a reasonable house rule, one that I would accept in a heartbeat.

However, RAW its a template weapon, wich has the advantage of not being affected.

Cheers for your insight. I play both Guard and Dark Eldar so either way I'm affected.

Not to highjack this thread but.. I am pretty sure ^^^ is not how it works is it? When you roll to "spot" something you are rolling to "see" it and thus would not shoot at something that was not there? I may be taking too much away from the eldar tears rule but I thought this was sort of ambiguous to the nightfight rule just one less die to roll.

Page 95, bottom right paragraph.

Archived