Sternguard, not the same ol' stuff

Driftster

I don't like heavy flamers on sternguard for a couple of reasons. I feel that sternguard aren't a very solid unit for going up and flaming stuff. In my experience, they're specialty was midrange (about 24") shooting. I feel that they were best used sitting at about that range in cover and shelling away using either hellfire or kraken rounds, depending on the situation. From my experiences, bad things have happened when either they get close to enemies, or enemies get close to them. Even though they are veterans, they will get shredded in close combat by a MEQ close combat unit (such as vanguard, termies, etc etc). I feel that heavy flamers are a lot more effective on termies and dreadnoughts, having the survivability to endure heavy firepower and still come out. If sternguard try and do that, it usually ends badly. Also, rhinos aren't the toughest tanks there are when trying to ferry your sternguard to the front lines.

What I like to take sometimes if I want to field more dreadnoughts is a 5-man dev squad with either 4 missile launchers and 4 heavy bolters. While There is no protection for the heavy weapons (in terms of bodies), I find this unit to be effective at what it does. Twice the amount of missile launchers more than makes up for the lack of lascannons. However, they are often competing against my predators, a game the predators usually win.

Theres so many cool things in C:SM that i'd like to use in the same 1500 list..dreads, ven dreads, termies, honour guard, sternguard.... no way to fit em all into 1 list though...

Still I can see what you mean bladeofdeath3, but I think that the statline of the sternguard isn't supposed to help them fight enemy close combat opponents, its more to toast rank and file guys up. So instead of throwing them into terminators, you'd apply the flamers to a regular tactical/scout squad and then mop up with the weight of attacks. Against proper CC enemies they'd just end up dog food....

It comes down to a durability vs damage output decision. True, Sternguard die as easily as Tactical marines, and bringing their flamers in range makes them very vulnerable to dying quickly. I've had games when my Rhino has been popped and the Sternguard inside destroyed (or pinned!), and it isn't a pleasant experience. However, if you set up your movement properly, you can get your Sternguard unit into a good position where they'll suffer minimal retaliation. If you can do this then their weight of numbers and their flamers can more or less destroy the only threat facing it at the time, the one you chose to face.

No they're not Hammernators, they are not as durable, they cannot charge into the middle of the enemy lines and withstand every shot sent at them. Instead, they need to be used differently. Like Vanguard, and like Honour Guard they are a scalpel. They have an optimum unit range they deal with, and aren't durable when the enemy hits them with a ton with bricks, but if you choose your fights carefully they can go right through your opponent's army.

The brilliant thing about Sternguard, that Grim has already mentioned, is that they can fit into any army. You can make a full man squad, give them combi-meltas and heavy flamers, stick them in a Rhino and get up close. Or you can take a small squad with a couple of heavy weapons and stick them in cover. Or you can take a medium sized squad, drive them into cover and take advantage of their bolters to provide suppressive fire. It comes down to the use you have for them, and what you need fulfilled in your army, and you'll find that Sternguard can fill nearly all the gaps, except close combat of course.

If you imagine the average tactical with a sword and shield, i think a fair analogy would be to say the sternguard has its sword grow but the shield remain the same. All the pros and cons apply with that, if used improperly the sword becomes unwieldly and the shield can easily be forgotten to be out of proportion to the sword.

In fact i'd say they mix and match the tactical, assault and devastators into a single unit, something quite amazing really!

Archived