Small scout unit for objectives

templargdt

I'm going to get a small (5 man) unit of scouts for back field objective camping for around 1500 point games. I want a third scoring unit beside two tactical squads but I don't want to blow another 200+ points on tacs (which I'm not a huge fan of.) I think 100 points of scouts is a great solution.

So I'm going to get 5 scouts with cloaks to sit back and hold and an objective, going to ground for a 2+ cover save when they are targeted. My question is what to arm them with? 4 Sniper rifles and Missile launcher? Bolters? Heavy bolter with hellfire? What do you guys suggest? Sniper rifles seem weak to me; maybe HB and bolters for antipersonnel?

Sniper rifles + a missile launcher is good.

I don't expect them to do a whole lot, but sometimes they really suprise me.

Sniping 3 of my opponents Chaos Lord's raptor bodyguards, and slapping another in the face with a missile launcher one game was very funny.

They do okay, anyway. And if you're going to be sitting back holding an objective, long range is good. You might even get lucky and pin an important squad/bag a vehicle with the missile launcher.

A tiny unit of them aren't bad for the price. They'll never be a big threat, but if you're running a list with a Master of the Forge, they give him a posse to hang around with while he shoots his conversion beamer, and they do a fair job of holding your home objective. I'd prefer something with more staying power (Tacticals in a Rhino), but again, for the price? It's not a mistake, even if it's not always the best choice.

Grab a bolster defences character(Lysander/MotF) if you're going to use them anyways and stick them in a ruin. This gives them a 2+ save without going to ground. You can then shoot your missile launcher all the time unless it dies. They're almost impossible to kill.

Set of sniper scouts with missile launcher is pretty good for its price- and a nice threat to monstrous creatures.

Alternatively, set up some CC scouts in a storm with a powerfist- first turn assaults are nasty, and they can take out alot of vehicles before theyve even had a chance to move.

Chiming in for the hellfire HB- the ML is good, but the hellfire blast for the HB can cause a sometimes astonishing amount of wounds on virtually any non FnP Infantry unit. Since with the snipers you will want to be shooting soft targets anyhow the HB meshes well, and it's a nice little blast to drop on squishy deep strikers too. Yes you can fire a blast with the ML, but the HB wounds on a 2+.

It's been mentioned, but for a unit synergy with camo cloaked scouts consider a MoTF or Thunderfire cannon Techmarine to bolster their ruin.

EDIT: the LSS is a reasonably good idea too, though putting them in CC limits their ability to survive to turn 5+ to take an objective.

A small sniper unit of scouts for home objective taking is a good buy. Put your objective in cover, give them snipers and cloaks, and when the enemy shoots at you go to ground. You don't need to worry too much about Bolster Defences IMO. OK, you don't need to go to ground to get that 2+ cover save, but you aren't expecting many wounds from your unit anyway. If you have bolster defences already, don't worry about it, but don't feel you need to put it in your list just for the snipers.

As for the heavy weapon, if you have the points I'd go for a heavy bolter. Snipers aren't meant to take down vehicles, and they only have half a chance to hit with a single krak missile. If you go frag instead, well you should have taken the heavy bolter. The hellfire round is much better than frag, same chance of hitting dead on, but wounds on a 2+, and matches the range of your snipers. AP only makes a difference against things like Termagants, but then it doesn't because when you inflict 3 more wounds you wouldn't expect them to save it. Against Marines, they're still getting an armour save. And if you really want to shoot vehicles, you can fire 3 S5 shots which will be a threat against light vehicles.

The only problem with this unit is keeping them alive. Be wary of outflankers and heavy flamers, and also weight of fire. I used to use this squad as well, but with my army being all mech I've stopped taking them as they took so much firepower at first because there was nothing else to shoot at with anti-infantry weapons. So if I have the extra 65pts I go for a las plas Razorback with combi-flamer Tactical squad instead. But if I don't, I don't worry about having to take a small sniper squad. It won't kill lots of models, but it could win you games, either through that one vital pinning check or just sitting on that one objective.

EDIT: the LSS is a reasonably good idea too, though putting them in CC limits their ability to survive to turn 5+ to take an objective.

Well thats the thing, they dont ever have to get into close combat. Against IG for instance it may be worth it to rush forward and take out a basilisk battery hiding in the corner for example, but wich doesnt have much in the way of gaurdsmen support. It happens all the time....

If you feel theyre in a place where theyll be outmatched, then dont use them.

Oh! and give the LSS a heavy flamer so you dont have to fiddle around with BS 3. Its always nice to have another heavy flamer.

I'd just like to put in a note between the HB and the ML.

I played a megagame against tyranids and guards and I was thinking "hell yeah, taking down those monster bastards and clumped up tyranids with my hellfire awesomeness!" and went with snipers and HB... It didn't really work the way I'd like to, even though they outperformed all other games I've had with them! Strangely enough by shooting vehicles O_o

What I'm saying is: Take the missile launcher. The snipers aren't really that good at taking out monsters (4 guys, 2 hits, 1 wound... (not considering higher BS on sarge or heavy weapon) and the missile launcher can take out some of the mech out there! In my mind there is little doubt now - MS 'till the end!

I love ,y two different scout units.

The first is:

4 Snipers

1 Heavy Bolter

Camo Cloaks

They hold onto and objetives in cover very well and have won me several games.

Another possibilty I like is

Sarge with power weapon

4 CC scouts

outflank and cause problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived