Commander Conversion WIP

Speshtard

Hi all, here we have what is eventually going to be my force commander:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Mlaaar/Commander1.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Mlaaar/Commander2.jpg

I'd like your opinions on whether you like it and also I need help deciding on a head.

What do people think of the green stuff chest cord thingy? Any opinions or suggestions for improvements?

He will also have a jump pack when I'm done. Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the compliments MagicMan :P

It's a DIY chapter of my own creation. I've got a hard hitting strike from above type theme going on with these guys.

IMHO it's the only way to play marines! Here's a link to the proposed colour scheme;

http://www.coolminiornot.com/215776

I like to keep it pretty grim dark. Since I painted that test model, I decided to do the shoulder trim in bronze. Kinda like Night Lords

without the lightning.

With him being a commander I would use either a GK style helm or one of the older veteran helms such as a MKIII. A Corvus helm would look good too but he might resemble shyrke a little too much then.

Green-stuff work is nice and clean and I'm loving the stance of the model, awesome work.

The greenstuff rope looks good. The only thing I can point out at the moment is that he seems to have two belts; the metal legs and plastic torso both have their belts attached still. The paint scheme would look good with some bronze, I personally am not a big fan of metallic coloured Space Marines though.

If you have access to some Chaos Space Marines heads you could maybe remove the horns from one of the more sinister looking ones to give him a bit of a brutal, grimdark look? There's a fantastic kitbashed Seth with the tusked helm from the Chaos Havocs which I thought was pretty cool.

Id say very cool model and like the gs too :lol: maby a talisman or somthing hanging in the lower rope.. ? for head id most likely go with a roaring one from SW or a FW helm like mk IV or even mk V would make him cool and a bitt unusual from the standard mk VII helmets ? Maby even a a mk III crusader helmet..?

Like him and hope to see some goold or somthing on him to...

Cheers mate on cool ideas!

With him being a commander I would use either a GK style helm or one of the older veteran helms such as a MKIII. A Corvus helm would look good too but he might resemble shyrke a little too much then.

Green-stuff work is nice and clean and I'm loving the stance of the model, awesome work.

Thanks! I agree on the Corvus helm too, trying to avoid being too similar to Shrike.

The only thing I can point out at the moment is that he seems to have two belts; the metal legs and plastic torso both have their belts attached still.

Yeah, I thought about that when I put it together. The metal belt is really too low and prominent to get rid of. I'm planning to hang a few grenades

from the plastic belt to cover the gaps and have the metal 'buckle' as a kind of crotch plate. I like the sense of height keeping both belts on gives too.

Top spotter marks though! :D

very nice
Thanks - It will only get better!
maby a talisman or somthing hanging in the lower rope

I was thinking along similar lines. I like the plastic commander chest with the frilly dangly bits... copying that would really test my GS "skills"...

Also, as you and LuNCHBiZZLe have suggested, I'm very tempted to go against my usual policy of 'helmets help armour saves'

and go down the bare head route. Thanks for pointing me towards the SW sculpts, that one is a bit too wolfy for my style though (Get a haircut!)

Thanks for all the replies! You guys have really helped ^_^

Beautiful job, especially on the green stuff rope. Where are those lightning claws from?

Thanks, they're from an old SW model, still available - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...otCatGameStyle=

The claws don't come attached but there is plenty of SW iconography moulded on to get rid of. I used giant clippers to take the shoulderpads off :lol:

The rope is sweeet .. excellent work IMHO. I agree (cant believe im saying this) if you use a beakie head it will look like shrike ... If u have the heads from some of the other commanders that came 4 to a box ... some of those are great .... or even the ones from the tyrinid hunters stuff ... its all scared and tough looking too.

add a huge bevor/gorget and normal-ish (yet pimped) SM head to make him mark 8-ish

edit: and for the pimped SM head you could take one of the more flavored chaos variants, removing horns and arrows (i do this alot myself on my renegate heads... looks waaaay better than both regular csm and sm heads)

• 3 months later...

Hi again everyone, it's been a while but I've finally made a little progress on this guy.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Mlaaar/CommanderWIP.jpg

I found that when I fitted a jump pack, the cables on the claws got in the way. I got around this by butchering some sprue and sticking it between the jump pack and the the torso. This gave me a perfect platform to stick an iron halo on. This photo shows the bits I'm using a little better. This guy contains no less than 10 magnets!

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Mlaaar/Commanderbits.jpg

I also encountered an unexpected problem when it came to painting the claw...

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq212/Mlaaar/BrushIssue.jpg

It just didn't want to come off! In the end I had to get the scissors on it!

I need to stick another aquila on the jump pack and add some grenades to help cover the exposed belt area. After that I'll be ready to paint proper!

After many trials I've opted for the company champions head possibly with the command squad laurels on top. Upon inspection I discovered that I'd invented the Emperors champion's head and am wondering whether it would be easier to just use that or something similar?

I'm Looking forward to seeing this guy finished at last! Thanks to everyone who has commented so far, your support really helps me to work and any input or thoughts will always be gratefully received.

Thanks! I agree on the Corvus helm too, trying to avoid being too similar to Shrike.

The only thing I can point out at the moment is that he seems to have two belts; the metal legs and plastic torso both have their belts attached still.

Yeah, I thought about that when I put it together. The metal belt is really too low and prominent to get rid of. I'm planning to hang a few grenades

from the plastic belt to cover the gaps and have the metal 'buckle' as a kind of crotch plate. I like the sense of height keeping both belts on gives too.

Top spotter marks though! :(

very nice
Thanks - It will only get better!
maby a talisman or somthing hanging in the lower rope

I was thinking along similar lines. I like the plastic commander chest with the frilly dangly bits... copying that would really test my GS "skills"...

Also, as you and LuNCHBiZZLe have suggested, I'm very tempted to go against my usual policy of 'helmets help armour saves'

and go down the bare head route. Thanks for pointing me towards the SW sculpts, that one is a bit too wolfy for my style though (Get a haircut!)

Thanks for all the replies! You guys have really helped :P

Further to the two belts thing.

Looking at the pic of the undercoated body it looks really odd. I get what you mean about the small height boost, but at the mo it looks like the marine is wearing a REALLY tight corset under his armour :D.

If you clipped the plastic belt and the small amount of abdomen plating I'd say it would look a lot smoother, I'd even go as far to say that you'd never notice it was a conversion.

But regardless of what you choose to do it is a very nice conversion and I look forward to seeing it finished ;)

Nice conversion. Where are those shoulderpads from, btw?

Thanks! :P They are from the =I= and Blood Ravens range cast by Chapterhouse Studios.

Further to the two belts thing.

Looking at the pic of the undercoated body it looks really odd. I get what you mean about the small height boost, but at the mo it looks like the marine is wearing a REALLY tight corset under his armour laugh.gif.

If you clipped the plastic belt and the small amount of abdomen plating I'd say it would look a lot smoother, I'd even go as far to say that you'd never notice it was a conversion.

But regardless of what you choose to do it is a very nice conversion and I look forward to seeing it finished smile.gif

In my chapter, Commanders can wear what they like under their armour! <_< I did think about clipping the plastic belt, I even tested a clipped torso, but it just looked a little too stocky to me. I'm going to cover the overhang with some grenades and stuff and will post photos when he looks a little more complete. Also, I think that the camera position doesn't help in this pic. The 'corset' doesn't look quite so obvious from other angles! Thanks for your support!

I have a suggestion for the 2 belt issue. Rather than cut off the metal belt, could you cut away the platic torso so that the metal belt is THE belt? Have the plastic torso end at the bottom of the armour and cut away the "belly"?

Try it on a spare torso if you have one, see how it turns out.

+edit+

It seems like this idea has been mentioned before. Nevermind <_<

You seem fairly good with greenstuff, would it be possible to fix the stockyness issue with greenstuff after modifying the chest?

Archived