Space Marines Battle Box

darthgus

Sorry not pics yet, I've only just been asked to do this. But really its kind of a strange one. I've not yet said I'll do it, but the assignment is this:

Paint a standard space marines battle force, for use as with the vanilla marine codex.

When I asked him about what chapter he wanted, he said that he wanted something unique, so a DIY, but since this is the beginning of new collection of marines for him he has left it wide open to me. Basically, do it, do it well and do a chapter that no one else will have!

Okay so that might seem like a dream assignment, but it leaves a lot on my shoulders.

So should I take it?

And if I do take it, does anyone have any cool chapter ideas, schemes, icons they would like to share with me as I'm fresh out of inspiration right now.

Anyone?

Take it and do 1 of the lesser known chapters that featured in the Badab wars . Straight away you have a theme and some cool armies to choose from not many peps have these chapters most peps do the red scorpions because there cool but theres like 20 other chapters in there and theres alos loads of fluff and back ground to be found in the Badab wars . try it have a dig around and pt it to your client

When I said a fast and simple colour scheme I mean one that doesn't require massive amounts of effort to reproduce. Howling Griffins uses a quartered scheme which is time consuming to do. Though I did see a pic someone posted of their night world armour variant which was very cool.

Perhaps the Mantis Warriors?

Take that picture with a hint of salt: those schemes are from a fan-made supplement. Lexicanum will probably have a list of all the Chapters with their new colours schemes as described in the Imperial Armour books. That picture doesn't even get some basic details right: that's the scheme of the Red Corsairs, who the Astral Claws became when they lost the Badab War. The original Astral Claws used to have a tiger stripe thing going on, but Forgeworld has since changed it to a gunmetal silver and blue scheme.

Take that picture with a hint of salt: those schemes are from a fan-made supplement. Lexicanum will probably have a list of all the Chapters with their new colours schemes as described in the Imperial Armour books. That picture doesn't even get some basic details right: that's the scheme of the Red Corsairs, who the Astral Claws became when they lost the Badab War. The original Astral Claws used to have a tiger stripe thing going on, but Forgeworld has since changed it to a gunmetal silver and blue scheme.

Most of them are right according to the Lexicanium. Unless something's changed since yesterday, most of the Badab War updates that were done by Forgeworld have not sunk in yet. The ones I found were the Fire Hawks and Astral Claws (with the Tiger Claws being included). Other than there have been mostly picture changes if anything to include the fancy CG art and the only one debatable is if Forgeworld changed the Raptor's colors earlier than fluff has it. While all pictures have them in their green livery, they should still have their blue and yellow (fluff wise) during the Badab War.

I had a look, and only the two you mentioned have been changed. The Minotaurs are still in their hideous red and yellow scheme on Lexicanum, yet in IA10 they're shown as having mostly yellow armour, going by the Land Raider Achilles pics on Forgeworld's site.

I don't like the Raptors in blue and yellow...

The reason I want a mostly single colour armour is very simple, I'm going to air brush prime, base and first highlight them. After that I can move to a regular paint brush and do the other highlights, glowing eyes, chapter iconography etc.

So the ones that appeal to me are... mantis warriors, space sharks, star phantoms and lamenters. Exorcists would be cool to I'm just concerned about reproducing their chapter icons with a brush on 20 or so models.

I've been wandering round the internet looking at different images of various chapters... the mantis warriors have 3 different chapter icons depending on where you look!

I'll need to talk to the client and get his feelings about the what he would like... mostly I think just a presentably painted army, I think.

Exorcists would be cool to I'm just concerned about reproducing their chapter icons with a brush on 20 or so models.

you can use a mold, if you make one GS chapter icon, you can mold it and then cast as many times as you want it to

it's less simple than transfers, but better than free handing it 20+ times

there was a good tutorial about that but i can't seem to find it anymore ... ;)

Star Phantoms are all white in IA10 plus the chapter symbol has changed to the one shown above - two skulls mirrored in a kind of hour glass shape good luck painting 20 of those freehand :o

Raptors are easy now with plain green finish with white markings - decals are available from FW for these. It's true enough about the fluff for the colour change as they don't get stranded on the jungle world of Jemadal until after the Badab War but as they now have a more complete background - stealth and camo lovers - it fits better than blue and yellow. Where exactly is that going to work as camoflage?

Lamenters - tough to freehand all those chequerboard chapter symbols.

Space Sharks are now Carcharodons with two tone grey finish - fortress grey and adeptus battle grey looking at the pictures would be close but I believe these will prove a popular chapter as they have at least one figure on the way from FW.

Executioners are nice and straight forward but will need some work on the chapter symbols like almost all the Badab War chapters other than the well known ones.

I know there are some plans for FW to release more Badab Wars character models, possibly shoulder pads and chapter specific vehicle doors. Plus they do have some decals suitable for the Badab War chapters on the way too but no idea when these will be released or exactly which chapters are going to be included..

• 2 weeks later...

Painted up a test model to show the client and see what he thinks about the colour scheme. I based this off the IA10 pictures.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Sh_4WpxvsiI/TT3dEOQqlmI/AAAAAAAAAMA/PSPw7FGOMvc/s1600/sm_term_01.jpg

Archived