Best landraiders?

Grizzly_bear

I know this has probably been asked and spoke about already but I can not seem to find a thread about it....either that or I'm being blind as a nightlord flashbanged.....

Which one is better? Has more pros than cons? I had a redeemer for my old DIY chapter and I used it 4times and it decimated so much.....BUT....Ive recently bought the LRC/R tank, and have left it alone now I've got to choosing what guns to stick on....please may I have some insight and 100% sensible pros and cons....IF player member.

Cheers folks.

Rob

1. Crusader

2. Redeemer

3. Standard

Both the Redeemer and the Crusader are more effective in a forward capacity and suffer less role confusion than the standard-pattern Land Raider.

Crusader gets the edge because it maintains its threat profile better than the Redeemer. Between the Defensive Weapon Rules and Power of the Machine Spirit, it can move 6" and still fire everything. The Redeemer struggles to bring both of its Sponsons to bare on enemy targets. Add in the increased Crusader capacity, and you have the winner.

That said, the Redeemer has a critical role to play in lists that can't quite afford the ten extra points for the Crusader, and I'd almost never call it a bad choice (though you always want at least two Land Raiders in your list... mono-Raiders and mono-rock lists in general can be blocked too easily).

Since they're both the same hull and loadout except the sponsons and transport cap(+2 termies in the crusader), I'll just comment on that.

LRR: Flamestorms are both S6, flame template -and- AP3, thus ignoring most basic infantry saves, providing an excellent anti infantry punch. The limiting factor here is limited range. If you're using it as an aggressive forward assault transport you'll be moving up anyways.

Crusader: Hurricane bolters are defensive weapons and may be fired on the move. The increased range might let you get off a lot more shots than the range limited flamestorms. The hurricane bolters are TL and thus murderously accurate and can sling up to 12 bolt shots at an opponent. The +2 termies might give you the edge vs a similar squad of course.

IMO the LRR is a far better aggressive forward assault vehicle due to the raw potency of the flamestorms, which you might get to fire 1-2 times per game, however it's also difficult to get both flamestorms to bear against the same unit. On the other hand the crusader is a better transport in general and allows more fire at range and on the move, high volume of accurate fire may result in a better kill ratio in some games.

The LRR can carry 5 termies and two IC(in PA or AA), where the crusader can carry 7 termies and two ICs. Two termies may not be a game breaker but they make a big difference. By itself I'd take the redeemer first, as the flamestorms are one of the most potent cover denying weapons in 40k, but if I were fielding a nasty deathstar of termies and ICs, I might consider the crusader for the transport cap.

If you want a threatening tank, look no further than the LRR. No one wants to be on the receiving end of 2 flamestorm cannons, unless they're a Nidzilla player. The LRR out of the all the Land Raider variant possibly has the most devastating weapons, for 10 points cheaper, that's effectively a free multi-melta. While range is an issue, as others have already said you're going to be operating at that range anyway, just watch out for multi-meltas.

If you need a better transport capacity however, then you haven't got much choice. The LRC is still a good choice, for the reasons JK outlined, but I wouldn't say it's got as much destructive firepower either. OK, it's assault cannon and hurricane bolters can fire if it moves 6" (and you can fire your multi-melta at a different target), and both being twin-linked and the same range means you can take infantry squads out from a distance, but it only gets good at 12", which is still melta range. At that range then you might as well take a flamestorm cannon and do more damage. Also, as a transport vehicle you should be moving 12" anyway so the fact that you can fire more weapons if you move 6" with the LRC is slightly nullified. That being said, the LRC has better tactical applications, as it can be used more as a support vehicle with a counter-assault element, compared to the LRR which is very much an assault vehicle meant to be at the tip of your spearhead. Plus, I personally feel the LRC looks better, all those rows of boltguns look fearsome. But talking as someone who has faced both in the same game, it was always the LRR which did the most damage, and therefore the one I fear the most.

It is also worth looking at the standard LR, which can be used as an effective fire support unit with counter-assault element, or you could chuck a cheap tactical squad in there and park it on an objective. It's certainly less glamorous than its cousins, but no less useless, it just has different applications.

Hmmmmm all great comments along with pros and cons....In my honest opinion i was leaning towards to the LRC....for extra distance....plus my sponsons are at the front....extra 4" that could be a great extra 4"....

But I do love the look and raw power of the LRR....but from a fluff view the crusader seems 'more' fisty you know?

And I was thinking of running sterngaurd in my LRC or LRR when I play objective games....dash pedro in the list so I have a hard hitting assault scouring unit to contest/take the objective, or even a full 10 man VV squad with 4x Power swords and a pair of LC....I don't think LR should be defensive units as I've seen people use...

The LRR is really set up for two tactical applications:

1. Drive up 12 inches and spin sideways to set a flame template deep into an enemy line while its contents charge out in a different facing.

2. Tank shock 6 to 12 inches into a bubblewrapp unit to pierce it. Flamestorms fire down both lines. Transported unit charges directly into the next line or wrapped unit survivors. Flamestorms work best with another flamestorm and 2 units of killers as a huge linebreaker / horde killer.

There is no "best" land raider. It depends on your list and your play style. Try them all. End of thread.

If I don't have enough long range heavy fire I take a Godhammer. If I just need to deliver an assault unit I take a crusader or redeemer depending on who I expect to play.

Secod Lard'OBlood on this. try them, see what you like about them and use it. If you want, And it would be best, proxy first before gluing the sponsons that you get the best out it.

Personely(sp?), i prefer the Crusader for it's increased troop capacity, ranged ability and the extra guys (which i LOVE to fully utilise with IC's and such).

my 2 cents

Rafen

Personally it comes down to whether I need the Crusader's transport capacity. If not, the Redeemer is superior. Those flamestorm cannons are a major threat that can change the way the game turns out. The hurricane bolters aren't worth much by comparison.

7 Assault terminators and a Chaplain charging out of a Crusader are enough to make me leave the Redeemer at home though.

Which one is better? Has more pros than cons? I had a redeemer for my old DIY chapter and I used it 4times and it decimated so much.....BUT....Ive recently bought the LRC/R tank, and have left it alone now I've got to choosing what guns to stick on....please may I have some insight and 100% sensible pros and cons....IF player member.

Cheers folks.

Rob

Have you considered magnets? That way you can switch your weapons around depending on what you want :rolleyes:

Magnets would be amazing, and solve alot of your problems. I fully endorse this idea.

However, if your no good with magnets it should be noted that the sponsons fit into the side slots WITHOUT the need to be glued. Let that roll around for a moment.... just dont glue the top half of the sponson on and you can remove and replace the guns at will, putting the lil targetters back on top with a small pin.

And for the record, ironicly, the best landraider is the Landraider Hellios- bar none.

And for the record, ironicly, the best landraider is the Landraider Hellios- bar none.

It is actually the Land Raider Helios which I presume is named after the son god. My name is not related except for being nearly the same... although some people have tried to tell me my user name is spelled wrong XD.

.... Im horrible at spelling.

I blame it on the english minor.

Ok- its got a decent transport capacity, is effective against enemy tanks with a pair of TLLC, and is effective against infantry with a Whirlwinds blast template of doom. It can use PotMS to fire its TLLC at a tank while wiping a squad of light infantry from the board. It keeps its assault ramp, unlike that new variant that just came out, wich is always useful.

In fact, one could look at it as paying a mere 20pts to upgrade your TLHBs to a WW, without the AV 11 drawback. Im not sure how much better it gets.

Oh, yeah, heres how: its the same price to buy one of these bad boys from FW and make it interchangeable with the standard landraider as to buy a standard landraider and a large frenchfry. Im not even joking.

I'm very happy this question has been posted. I recently sold my Godhammer and Crusader, and I am going to buy and build a Redeemer. I've used the Godhammer a few times, and to be honest, it's rather boring. 1500 pts is the normal game size for me, and I just don't have a use for the GH anymore. The Crusader is a very good tank, but it doesn't fit into my build anymore. Plus it looks cool.

The Redeemer is going to fit into my army very well. With 2 Flamestorm Baal Predators on the way, there's going to be a lot of firey goodness in my force!

For me, the Redeemer is a fierce tank. Flanked by 2 Baals (:)) it's going to be a monster combo (i hope)!

.... Im horrible at spelling.

I blame it on the english minor.

Ok- its got a decent transport capacity, is effective against enemy tanks with a pair of TLLC, and is effective against infantry with a Whirlwinds blast template of doom. It can use PotMS to fire its TLLC at a tank while wiping a squad of light infantry from the board. It keeps its assault ramp, unlike that new variant that just came out, wich is always useful.

In fact, one could look at it as paying a mere 20pts to upgrade your TLHBs to a WW, without the AV 11 drawback. Im not sure how much better it gets.

Oh, yeah, heres how: its the same price to buy one of these bad boys from FW and make it interchangeable with the standard landraider as to buy a standard landraider and a large frenchfry. Im not even joking.

All good points, but I believe "best" is situational.

On another note: the standard pattern Landraider is called the Phobos Pattern - Godhammer refers to its standard Lascannon armament.

It's my mission to educate in this regard/beat people to death with a Landraider whilst shouting "Phobos!" ;)

Again thank you guys for the inputs etc....much helpful.....I may just pin as was comented on.....they need a landraider with just assault cannons on it....hmmmmmmm

I'd name that tank "Zeus" lol

Archived