Dawn of War block?

Niiai

Hello. This is inspiered by a French man I read about one time.

If my oponent do not deploy anything in dawn of war, and I have 30 scouts with outflank and scouts, can I deploy them in a 90" long konga line preventing any of my oponent ground units from entering? If so, for how long, if he has a jump unit that jumps over and attack, making a gap, can the rest deploy the next round? Cheers.

Yes, you can deploy accross the length of the board and keep certain units from coming in.

Vehicles will be able to tank shock through you *if theyre tanks* and skimers, jump infantry, and jetbikes will be able to go right over you.

Deep Strikers will be able to go wherever they like as normal. His outflankers.... theres alot of ways around this.

Now, as for what happens to them.... its just not covered in the rules. Not much to say here. My own opinion is that they come in the first turn there is room available for them to come in.

These sections from the Main Rulebook FAQ v1.2 are applicable to this situation:

Q: Can a vehicle that is moving on from reserves perform

a tank shock? (p68)

A: Yes it can, declare the distance it is going to move

along with its direction and move the tank onto the board

that many inches, measuring from the board edge as for a

normal from reserve. The tank shock is performed as

usual. However, if the tank is forced to stop for any reason

before the entire vehicle is on the board then the vehicle,

and any embarked units, count as destroyed and are

removed from play.

Q: What happens when a unit arrives from reserves but is

unable to completely move onto the board? (p94)

A: The unit is destroyed and removed from play.

So, if you deploy those three units of Scouts along the back end of thebaord, and they roll for a unit to arrive via Reserves that was not declared as Outflanking, does not have a jump pack, jet pack, jetbike, or Skimmer rules, or is not a vehicle that can Tank Shock...the unit is destroyed. It is not delayed til next turn. It is immediately destroyed!

Even if you infiltrate you can only have the 2 troop choices and a HQ max. For this to work, you have to have an opponent that hasn't deployed anything within 18" LOS of his board edge, and have the board edge small enough for 20 scouts to block it.

Genestealer broods of 20 might be able to do it. But not 20 scouts.

Did you not read my post? :rolleyes:

Even on a 4' by 4' board it wouldn't be enough to block it off. And if you tried this in a small enough points game for any smaller then that. Well. I'd probably hit you :sweat: (Joking).

Did you not read my post? :)

Even on a 4' by 4' board it wouldn't be enough to block it off. And if you tried this in a small enough points game for any smaller then that. Well. I'd probably hit you :) (Joking).

yeah you cant get enought models to do the job, i was just going further by suggesting its not a reliable tactic anyway.

On a 6' board edge, it requires 25 models, as each model's base is slightly less than 1" in diameter, and each model has a 'bubble' of 1" to each side for coherency, like so: Model: O, coherency/minimum distance 'bubble':_, so five models would be _O__O__O__O__O_ and would create a no-go line of about 15" long.

Tank shocking wouldn't create gaps either unless the unit fled, as those that don't end up under the vehicle don't move.

Actually theres a simple trick to this.

Just tank shock exactly the length of the tank +1". Even if they succeed on their morale check the unit will have to move out of the way- AND maintain unit coherency. If you target just off center of the unit *say a model to the right* then the whole unit will have to move to the left side of even a rhino in order to maintain coherency- atleast wrapping around the front.

This creates a 12" gap, minimum, wich is more than enough to bring the rest of your units in.

Tank shocking wouldn't create gaps either unless the unit fled, as those that don't end up under the vehicle don't move.

Just tank shock exactly the length of the tank +1". Even if they succeed on their morale check the unit will have to move out of the way- AND maintain unit coherency. If you target just off center of the unit *say a model to the right* then the whole unit will have to move to the left side of even a rhino in order to maintain coherency- atleast wrapping around the front.

This creates a 12" gap, minimum, wich is more than enough to bring the rest of your units in.

I thought you could only move models under the tank.

I thought you could only move models under the tank.

No- you MUST move models under the tank. You also MUST maintain unit coherency- thus in most cases if you move the models under the tank youll need to move other models aswell.

It also assumes that you roll the tanks in from reserve before any of the infantry units. If you roll all your foot-mobile units on Turn Two, and none of your tanks...you lose all the foot units.

Not true at all. You roll for all of your reserves and then move them onto the field. In the case of DOW deployment, all your units you decided not to keep in reserve automatically arrive- and then deploy in the order you decide.

It also assumes that you roll the tanks in from reserve before any of the infantry units. If you roll all your foot-mobile units on Turn Two, and none of your tanks...you lose all the foot units.

Not true at all. You roll for all of your reserves and then move them onto the field. In the case of DOW deployment, all your units you decided not to keep in reserve automatically arrive- and then deploy in the order you decide.

Right,but the OP is about blocking reserves, not first-turn arrivals.

And again- you roll for each and every reserve and THEN deploy them in whatever order you wish. So if your opponent has any tanks coming in hell bring them on first.

This tactic might pay off now and again, but in general it wont work against anyone with a brain... unless they play nids or crons the sadly lil guys.

And if you play a small enough board and if they don't deploy anything to start with or have any infiltrators of their own to stop you infiltrating and scout moving onto that board edge.

The description of this topic is "fun or bad". It might be fun for you the one time it works out of a million games, but that player will never want to play you again... Doesn't seem worth it for a cheap win.

Yeah it sounds cool. Although with the infiltrate rule you deploy them after your oponent do not se your plan coming. Also genstealers have a LD of 10, being ideal vs a tank shock.

I can also se how the tank shock would help on the Kongaline GM, but the tank will only make a V gap, would it not? You just fan out in a V around it. If you where meeting 30 genstealers he pretty mutch has some leway in ecireling at least one rhino.

Even 30 genstealers with toxic sacks come at around 500 points, even if almoast a 2/3rds of them dies during that first turn you could very well end up killing more then 400 points of units vs the right army.

Although with multiple rhinos it quickly becomes more of a box with 3 walls instead of a V, so I can se it not happening. But an army with loads of bikes and dreads it would be neat. Moast pleople try to get a troop tranpsort/tanks on the table that first turn, so that is one less tanks to break your blockade.

we had this discussion at this weekends ultrameet.. its a simple as knowing your opponentns list and if he has the potential to do this, just set up one troops choice near your table edge...

we agreed that this whole thing is a dick move, but in tourney play your likely to find it.. so always be mindful of your opponents army list

Archived