ICs and Assaults

Ok, sorry if this has been discussed before, but it's a quick one.

Had this come up at the LGS and I didn't know the answer: So, if I have an independent character in a squad with, say, 4 other dudes and they are in CC with a monsterous creature (i.e. all in base-to-base) and the MC elects to hit the squad, if he does 5 wounds does each model including the IC take a wound or does one of the other dudes take 2 and the IC takes nothing (since the MC specifically did not target the IC). I assume that if the squad only suffered 2 wounds you couldn't allocate one to the IC, but then I'm not sure on that either.

Thanks for the help. Hope it only takes a second.

the IC takes nothing, he is a completely different target in CC, each attack of the MC is either targeted against the IC, or the squad, but attacks from one do not roll over to the other.

This is correct. Some ICs (those with the Fearless USR) may take No Retreat wounds, however.

the IC takes nothing, he is a completely different target in CC, each attack of the MC is either targeted against the IC, or the squad, but attacks from one do not roll over to the other.

This is correct. Some ICs (those with the Fearless USR) may take No Retreat wounds, however.

it should be noted that no retreat is done after "determine assault results" at which point the IC is once again considered part of the unit, as such wounds from no retreat will be allocated in the standard fashion (with the IC not being a seperate entity as he is in the combat steps of the asault phase).

Archived