Pre Heresy Dark Angels new army blog

This blog has been copied/edited from the Dark Angels section. If you want to read the whole caboodle please head here

I've been toying with the idea of creating a pre-heresy DA force for some time now. My current 3rd company, command force and vehicles are all painted in PHDA style, but for my liking there's too many MKVII pieces of armour and modern 40K heavy weapons, and now Forgeworld have released all the new armour types and weapons, now would be an ideal time to really go for it.

So the models I'm going to create are: Company Master, Tactical Squad 1, Tactical Squad 2, 2 x Land Raider MKI, Predator, Dreadnought, Venerable Dreadnought

I'm going to start with the Company Master. He will be armed with a combi-flamer and power sword:

gallery_37061_5492_86360.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_148944.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_243112.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_28709.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_251413.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_49333.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_24043.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_99777.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_5637.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_40176.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_19930.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_47095.jpg

He just needs some gs love and he'll be ready for the paint to flow!

So, my last post to start me off, sorry for 3 in a row, when I tried to post initially I was told I had too many images!

So additional HQ1:

gallery_37061_5492_884960.jpg

Not sure if Power Weapon and Power Fist would be a legal load out under Codex DA!

HQ2:

gallery_37061_5492_675053.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_72905.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_1169696.jpg

My all plastic Chaplain conversion ;)

Heavy Weapons trooper from Tac Squad 1:

gallery_37061_5492_99232.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_2987.jpg

Per heresy speeder inspired by madscuzzy's work:

gallery_37061_5492_283590.jpg

Wow, fantastic, absolutely great. I love conversions so much, and yours look great. Can I ask what the steps on the bases are made of? And where's the lion head pauldron from?

I think your Powerfist Sgt would look better with the wings swept back like the other sgts though. And will his powerfist hand be resting on something?

Awesome, truly awesome.

Did the Dark Angels have chaplains???

P.S., I'd like to know where all the parts for the company master came from please. Those would look really cool for some of my guys.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm not sure if the DA had Chaplains during the Heresy, will have to reread my 3 books and see what info they offer!

Hmm, parts!

Head = Red Scorpion Honour guard

wings = Dark Angel Veteran Upgrade Sprue

Torso = Red Scorpion honour guard with symbol remvoed and a DA icon filed down and glued on, a tabard from a Black templar torso, cut down and glued behind

Legs = Iron Hands Bionic legs with 1mm glass beads glued in to holes

Left arm = Ravenwing sword with skull

Left Shoulder pad = Company Champion

Right arm = Assault squad arm with bolt pistol removed

Right Shoulder pad = Standard Shoulder pad with High Elf Chariot Lion Shoulder pad glued onto it

Cloaks = High Elf Chariot Lion Cape with a piece cut from the high Elf Dragon Lords legs filed down and glued underneath

Wow, fantastic, absolutely great. I love conversions so much, and yours look great. Can I ask what the steps on the bases are made of? And where's the lion head pauldron from?

I think your Powerfist Sgt would look better with the wings swept back like the other sgts though. And will his powerfist hand be resting on something?

Thanks, :tu:, the steps are made by cutting up 40mm termie bases and gluing them together, then cutting plasticard to hide the holes and then using milliput to seal.

The lion head is from the high elf chariot

I wanted to make the Sgt's slightly individual and also was inspired by the cover of Fallen Angels :D

THEY NEED BACKPACKS!!!! WHERE ARE THE BACKPACKS???

Still awesome though.

Thanks, I don't usually add the backpacks until after they're painted, additionally I'm considering GSing cloaks to keep in with the Descent of Angels/Fallen Angels covers

i like the helms of the sgt's I might use them for my Space Wolves since they are very norse like in apperace. What parts did you use?

I used MaxMini helmet on one, the other was a combination of a MKVII Space Marine helmet combined with the front of a Brettonian Knight helmet. the wings are from the Ravenwing accessory sprue in the Ravenwing Bike Squad or Battleforce

I really like your open type speeder, and i too would like to know if all the special parts are from F.W.?

Keep up the good work

Thanks for the compliment although I cannot take the credit as it was madscuzzys amazing work that made me make one. All parts are current GW landspeeder kits. I used parts from LandSpeeder and LandSpeeder Storm, the front vents of the engines are from a Whirlwind. Madscuzzys amazing blog can be found here

Brothers, I need your help....

Do I sculpt GS cloaks for my Sgts or just glue backpacks and have all line troops as standard?

Sgt 1:

gallery_37061_5492_221690.jpg

Sgt 2:

gallery_37061_5492_138913.jpg

I can't decide whether to or not, but really want to emphasize how much my PHDA have been influenced by the covers of the DOA and FA books

Help a Brother out :lol:

Yes they had chaplains, though not sure what rank Redemptor counted as (ref: Redemptor Nemiel, warrior of Caliban that was part of the forces on the forge world, though I forget the name!)

As I said in the DA section, go with the robes at it ties in nicely with the idea that the Order is still a strong part of the legion's collective psyche and mindset.

Thanks Cloud Runner for your comments, I'm going to add long cloaks that part hide the armour ala cover of Fallen Angels!

I've been away this weekend seeing my fair lady in old London town so not much work been done...

but before I went I was able to finish off the basic modelling of 1 tactical squad....

gallery_37061_5492_466953.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_333665.jpg

gallery_37061_5492_321820.jpg

I've so far avoided adding any DA "bling" except the occasional piece to berak up the large bare space on the MKIII armour or the occasional oath of moment and large seal. Should more be added or is this is a case of "less is more?"

Once the GS is finished on the Sgt I'll be able to prime them up and get painting, bolters will be a little way off yet as January bills have just arrived this morning :devil:

Archived