Fortune, FNP and armor saves

LardO'Blood

Ok, so I am thinking of a bunch of cheesy things for apocalypse and I was wondering, if Eldard fortunes my Deathwing "command" squad with an apothecary, can I take saves in this order:

2+ armor save

Reroll 2+ armor save from fortune

Feel No Pain

Reroll Feel No Pain from fortune

Because, IIRC, Feel No Pain is not a reroll, but a new save. (I really want a 1/144th chance for a bolter to kill a terminator)

It was a good try ;). But yes, for the record- you can reroll any armor, cover, invulnerable, or feel no pain save, because all the power says is 'save'. And yes, youd reroll each of them that you were allowed to take- including FNP as far as I can see. Fuegan will be the only person to benefit from that, unless some scenario specific rule gives that rule out somehow. *Perhaps apocalypse?*

I would say "feel no pain" is not technically a "save", even though it has the same purpose as a save. It is more like a characteristics test that would prevent the model from being harmed, like the initiative test against Jaws of the World Wolf, or the Wolf Tooth Talismans test to avert psychic powers. In the BRB section about saves, it says that a model with more than one save can only use one of them, but FnP is in addition to that save. FnP is also said to be used when a model suffers an "unsaved wound", i.e. after saves have been taken. The only official saves are armour, invulnerable and cover saves, but there are other tests that may prevent damage, and those are not technically "saves".

It was a good try :P. But yes, for the record- you can reroll any armor, cover, invulnerable, or feel no pain save, because all the power says is 'save'. And yes, youd reroll each of them that you were allowed to take- including FNP as far as I can see. Fuegan will be the only person to benefit from that, unless some scenario specific rule gives that rule out somehow. *Perhaps apocalypse?*

Good idea!

I've always wanted terminators to be tougher then carnifexes. ;)

Who is Fuegan?

It was a good try ;). But yes, for the record- you can reroll any armor, cover, invulnerable, or feel no pain save, because all the power says is 'save'. And yes, youd reroll each of them that you were allowed to take- including FNP as far as I can see. Fuegan will be the only person to benefit from that, unless some scenario specific rule gives that rule out somehow. *Perhaps apocalypse?*

Good idea!

I've always wanted terminators to be tougher then carnifexes. :D

Who is Fuegan?

Actually, most groups in apocalypse wouldnt allow it either.... but thats your own house rules, as usual for apocalpse. :P.

Fuegan is the Phoenix Lord of the Fire Dragons, the Eldar unit entirely armed with melta-guns. For example.... WS, BW, and I 7, to give you an idea where he ranks.

Legatus- yeah, looking over FNP it at no point calls it a 'save' but rather an 'ability' so even in this case I would have to agree that the Fortune reroll wouldnt come into effect. Though I have a feeling many people wouldnt bat an eye at it due to how often its called a 'feel no pain save'. Ill have to put that down on my list of no-no exploits.

I believe 3e dodge saves were invulnerable saves described as deriving from fast dodging. They were still invulnerable. To my knowledge, there hasn't been a true dodge save since 2e.

In any case, I don't believe FNP is counted as a save. It simply ignores wounds. If it was a save, you would run afoul of the "one type of save only" restriction. Does someone with a book handy want to look up the FNP USR?

Archived