Adeptus Custodes

Over the past 2 years I have attempted to create some Custodians that at least equal the quality of some of the conversion I have seen here.

I'll add pics of my first 2 attempts at a later date as I have reached an extremely important point and need some help from you Brothers.

Firstly, this is the artwork that has inspired my creation:

gallery_37061_5633_6001.jpg

I'm sure most of you have seen it before.

Now, I am currently working on the first torso and want to use this as the template for any additional Custodians I create. Now the situation is this:

Do I glue a High Elf shield template onto the torso and save myself a lot of GS work as in pic 1:

gallery_37061_5633_248368.jpg

Or do I use only the orb at the centre, glue guitar strings either side as in the photo and then build up the rest of the chest in GS? Photo 2 emphasizes the pre-GS work difference:

gallery_37061_5633_153228.jpg

I can't decide which I prefer. Type 1 would save ALOT of time, but I feel Type 2 would look more like the artwork.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

more work equals more reward. i say type 2

I heartily agree Nephren-Ka and as such have started work on type 2 torso.

I added a 1mm thick piece of plasticard in between the 2 halves of the torso to widen it slightly, allowing better room for the head I am going to be using to sit nicely.

I also added 4 1mm pieces of plasticard between the torso and legs to add some additional height and allow for me to sculpt some gs on to the robe to bring it in line with the width of the torso. I then glued the 2 resin decorative pieces into place and added a 1.5mm plastistrip belt, which will allow me to glue grenades, ammo pouches and a ceremonial dagger to it.

I carved and filed into the torso and added 4 pieces of guitar wire, which I will then GS on the top half of the chest, following the artwork as closely as I can. I have some 1mm glass beads, which I will place into the GS as its drying to emulate the orb on the chest of the lead Custode in the artwork.

I lastly, for now, added a 1mm plasticard spacer onto each arm joint, to further enhance the width of the model. The shoulder pads I am planning to use are quite sizable!

gallery_37061_5633_52944.jpg

I've been trying to figure out how to do the arms, SM standard arms are too short and I want to incorporate the gloves the custodes are wearing.

So at the moment I am considering a combination of Chaos SM gloves, slightly extended to the elbow with the left over Sanguinary Guard arms I will have left from chopping the Glaive Encarmine to pieces, Chaos Knight elbows, or Chaos SM Berzerker elbows, with some bling to hide the skulls. and then some basic plastic tubing to create the upper arm with the standard Marine shoulder to attach to the model. I may also use tabards to help hide some of the inevitable joins.

I've decided the 1st guy is going to be the Sgt of a 5 man squad I am going to make. The other 4 Custodes will be armed with Guardian Spears, and if they come out well I shall make the other 5, incorporating a flamer and Heavy bolter. He will be armed with a Power Glove, which will be converted in line with the rest of the arms as described above, and will be armed with this:

gallery_37061_5633_806622.jpg

I tried to follow the artwork as closely as possible, and thought about removing one of the barrels when it occurred to me I don't know what Codex i am going to use yet - Grey Knights would be the most obvious, so this could count as his Storm bolter :angry:

Thanks for your replies and suggestions guys :D

Well today I worked on arms and building the body up before it gets GS'ed.

Firstly I worked on the Power Fist:

gallery_37061_5633_335378.jpg

This is from the Command Squad Boxset. I cut the arm at the top of the power fist, just below the elbow and added the upper arm from a Khorne Berzerker chainsword arm. The wing piece on the elbow is from the High Elf Spearmen set.

I drilled into the top piece and added brass rod, to allow a stronger bond when I eventually glue it.

From the other side:

gallery_37061_5633_765927.jpg

I then turned my attention to the right arm, combining a Khorne Berzerker arm with the gunsword I made yesterday. I just have to find a suitable handle/hilt to glue on to the waiting rod.

Again, the wing piece is the other half of the High Elf part I used on the left arm.

gallery_37061_5633_142823.jpg

Regarding shields.....I'm now torn between making the 5 Custodes armed as they are in the above picture, as my original intention was just to use the picture as a source of inspiration for the armour and then arm them with the standard guardian spear. Thoughts?

If I was going to use shields I would use the following Scibor piece as I feel it suitably covers both the lightning and Roman elements associated with the Emperor and his bodyguard:

gallery_37061_5633_499244.jpg

I then worked on the body, adding legs and side armour, giving me a good idea of what I will have to GS. So here is a pic of what I have accomplished so far, with the head and shoulder pad shown:

gallery_37061_5633_694836.jpg

And a size comparison (of sort) with a Pre Heresy Dark Angel I have been working on:

gallery_37061_5633_151627.jpg

Nice, i was a bit sceptical of the scaling issue to begin with but you seem to be taking that in your stride.

However i am not a fan of the gun blade, mainly because of the magazines. I personally think either the blade needs widening or the mag's need sizing down.

But it is your model man

Nice, i was a bit sceptical of the scaling issue to begin with but you seem to be taking that in your stride.

However i am not a fan of the gun blade, mainly because of the magazines. I personally think either the blade needs widening or the mag's need sizing down.

But it is your model man

Thanks, yeah I was worried about the scale too, but 2 previous experiences of building them and getting the size wrong or "hmmmph" has taught me to go over the top rather than too little.

With regards to the gun blade, if you check out the artwork, it is quite a short stumpy blade, so I thought the standard SM power blade would work fine, however I totally see what you're getting at with regards to the size of the magazines and will sort that out :D

Archived