Battle wagons

Grizzly_bear

My mate brother has started to collect orks now.....well for a while on and off....now he's really into it......he has a battle wagon that he says is around 235points.....think he has 3shootas, kill cannon, zaap gun and some other orky stuff....but I re checked the profile and they're only AV 14 at the front so what the hell is he spending his points on? Lol

Would you kind people agree that 3 drop pods landing behind his line would be a decent move or toooooooo bold?

I take them down with land speeder typhoons. Flanking battlewagons with speeders is an easy job, and the only hard counter to speeders that orks bring (Lootas) are owned in the face by my compulsory thunderfire cannon. It's rather sad how easily wagons fold sometimes.

Would you kind people agree that 3 drop pods landing behind his line would be a decent move or toooooooo bold?

Almost all ork armies have at least one big squad of boyz. Delivering your squads to die piecemeal is not a good strategy. Just hammernator it! You should probably have hammernators on standby to deal with nobz anyway.

most ork players worth thier salt use a KFF in a wagon for a large bubble.. but cover saves dnt work in assault.. and AV10 is beatable by grenades

Yes, I went up against one of these the other day, but didn't manage to get into assault range with it. Unfortunately, my Rifleman Dreads on side armour and melta on front armour did nothing due to the force field, and it survived the game. So I'd say either an insane amount of anti-transport fire to side armour, melta to anywhere, or try and catch it in assault to negate the Force Field, but don't expect the squad to withstand the inevitable counter charge.

And LardO'Blood, while Hammernators are useful and good against a variety of targets, they aren't the sole answer to everything. I've played against different targets where they would be useful and still came out on top, it's about application of the right units at the unit time. It's just that Hammernators are the easiest to apply and tend to be more forgiving.

or try and catch it in assault to negate the Force Field, but don't expect the squad to withstand the inevitable counter charge.

thats why LSS and scouts are the way forward, wih higher initiative and combat blades they can take a few orks with them too

he has a battle wagon that he says is around 235points

I have absolutely no idea what he is spending so many points on. The standard "Attack" Battlewagon should cost approx 135 points

Thats with grot riggers, armour plates, deffrolla, 2 big shootas.

Though I suppose he could be buying a Killkannon on it which drastically increases the amount of points. Generally any battlewagon that isnt being used as a transport (or Loota bunker) is a complete waste of points. Being Ork driven firepower its generally never going to be getting back its points through shooting alone.

Assaulting them in combat is the best way of taking it out. Trying to kill it through shooting power is going to be difficult if there is a KFF nearby, not impossible but difficult.

A refused flank with fast out flanking Typhoons parallel to your main force works wonders. A smattering of Lascannons, a demolisher cannon and even an Orbital Bombardment in the list grants capacity to break a Wagon from a distance even with their outrageous saves, which combined with side armour Typhoons can really help your cause. Otherwise, just have a strong counter attack lined up.

he has a battle wagon that he says is around 235points

I have absolutely no idea what he is spending so many points on. The standard "Attack" Battlewagon should cost approx 135 points

Thats with grot riggers, armour plates, deffrolla, 2 big shootas.

Though I suppose he could be buying a Killkannon on it which drastically increases the amount of points. Generally any battlewagon that isnt being used as a transport (or Loota bunker) is a complete waste of points. Being Ork driven firepower its generally never going to be getting back its points through shooting alone.

Assaulting them in combat is the best way of taking it out. Trying to kill it through shooting power is going to be difficult if there is a KFF nearby, not impossible but difficult.

I agree that he is wasting a lot of points somewhere and that he should be building his battlewagons with a plan in mind and not just throwing everything on!

As for how tough? In number and in the hands of a good ork general you might have problems but a lone battlewagon by a so so general shouldn't be a huge issue.

Putting units in DPs can work but you need to think about how you will keep them alive and how they will interact with the rest of your army in the big old battle plan once they have destroyed their target. As others have shown other ways of killing battlewagons exist.

i personally would use lascannons on it because of their long range you have at leave a turn of shooting the stuff that come out of it

oncei took out a battlewagon with a lone sniper scout, it was epic

and with assaulting it i personally wouldnt because a 20 ork unit of boyz can seriously dent a grenading unit thanks to furious charge, if they are tacticals then they will be destoryed

Archived