The Eternal Warriors

Shadowstalker Grim

I took Calgar in Termie armor and a full honor guard squad w/ relic blades in 1750. This was when the 5th ed marine codex had just been released. They were sitting in a land raider and made their way upfield. That squad just ate everything in its path. It was very disgusting now that I come to think of it. I've run Lysander in a couple of Apoc games and he's awesome against super heavies and heavy tanks. However, I didn't get to use his bolter drill as he was with all hammer/shield termies...

1750: For The Lulz, umm... I mean, For The Emparah!

Calgar in Armour of Antilocus

Full 10 strong unit of Honour guard, all with Aux. Grenade Launchers, one with a Chapter Banner, and the Champion also with a Relic Blade

All loaded into a Drop Pod

Lysander

Full 10 strong unit of Sternguard, Sergeant with Combi-Melta and Lightning claw, 2 men with Heavy Flamers, all of the rest with Combi-meltas

Tactical squad, 10 strong, with a Plasma Gun and Multimelta

Loaded into a Drop Pod

Bare bones 5 man Scout squad

Loaded into a Land Speeder storm

Tactics (lol):

Hold everything in reserve, outflank the Speeder full of scouts. First turn, Drop Marneus with his Honour Guard, and Lysander with his Sternguard into the fray. Disembark and waste nearby vehicles with a peppering of Str 6 shots from the Honour Guard's grenade launchers and the Sternguard's combi-melta shots... Or waste nearby hordes with a peppering of small blasts from the Honour Guard and hail of "Bolter Drilled" special ammo from the Sternguard. In subsequent turns, Use these two silly units to murder, and use the outflanked Speeder Scouts and Dropped-in Tac Squad to grab objectives.

Can't see why it wouldn't work, first time you'll catch your opponent off guard, sit back and watch while your army cuts hit to ribbons. Next time though, might be a different matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any other character combos with the lesser heroes that might be a worthy tag team?

I've been toying with a 2k Mech list using Khan and Tigurius, 6 rhino's full of marines outflanking with re-roll's to the reserve rolls to get them all in at (roughly) the same time...

One of the things i'd like to see introduced is the option to take chaplains or librarians or MOTF (or all 3) into a command squad, at their base price (or maybe a little more) Because i'd love to run more than just 2 HQs usually.

I'd love to be able to create such a squad, though are the limits on HQ to prevent people going so heavy on these choices? Though that said having so many points tied up into HQs will inevitably cause the army to be smaller due to lack of points to spend elsewhere, so I find it hard to think its not balanced.

Cassius should combo well with any of the characters really, perhaps with Vulkan in Hammernator unit...

1750: For The Lulz, umm... I mean, For The Emparah!

Lysander

Full 10 strong unit of Sternguard, Sergeant with Combi-Melta and Lightning claw, 2 men with Heavy Flamers, all of the rest with Combi-meltas

I hate to burst your bubble, but as has been said before, Lysander cannot be transported via Drop Pod; he's wearing Terminator armor. The only way to transport the beast is with a Land Raider :cuss

Not to say you can't do the same idea, though... Lysander + Sternguard + Land Raider (Redeemer? they would fit... ), rolling around, popping out of the transport to spray some death and then hop back in the next turn, zoom to another spot, spray some more death... Rolling Lysander with Sternguard has the all-too-overlooked effect of putting his Bolter Drill to use. Sternguard special ammunition is still being fired out of a Bolter; re-roll those misses!

I was under the impression that a SC could travel with a PA squad, regardless of what he was wearing himself? I know terminators aren't allowed on, but I thought we could sneak lysander on it? Anyway if that is the case then its a legitimate strategy.....if bending the rules a little...

I hate to burst your bubble, but as has been said before, Lysander cannot be transported via Drop Pod; he's wearing Terminator armor. The only way to transport the beast is with a Land Raider :)

Not to say you can't do the same idea, though... Lysander + Sternguard + Land Raider (Redeemer? they would fit... ), rolling around, popping out of the transport to spray some death and then hop back in the next turn, zoom to another spot, spray some more death... Rolling Lysander with Sternguard has the all-too-overlooked effect of putting his Bolter Drill to use. Sternguard special ammunition is still being fired out of a Bolter; re-roll those misses!

I'm afraid you're wrong there, there's nothing in the Drop Pod rules or the Terminator rules that say that models in Terminator armour cannot go in Drop Pods. Page 102 of C:SM says that models in Terminator armour cannot go in Rhinos or Razorbacks, but count as two models in other vehicles (Drop Pods and Land Raiders). The Drop Pod rules simply says it has a transport capacity of 12, and can take a Dreadnought of TFC instead of anything else (page 69). And turning to pages 76 and 77 gives us the rules on Rhinos and Razorbacks, which explicitly state that Terminator armoured models cannot embark in them. Finally, turning to the Land Raider entries (pages 81-83) all their transport rules say is 12 models are allowed to embark (apart from the LRC which is 16). If we follow your logic about the Drop Pod, then you can't put Terminators in Land Raiders either because it doesn't explicitly say they can go in them. Terminators cannot embark in Rhinos or Razorbacks, but otherwise they're fine to go where they please. So Lysander in a Drop Pod is legal and a very viable tactic when put in a Sternguard squad.

Correct, models in Terminator Armour can indeed embark into both Drop Pods and Land Raiders. They cannot embark Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Terminator Squads cannot steal the Drop Pod belonging to another unit. They are not legally allowed to be put into Drop Pods due to them not having a dedicated transport option for them (in C:SM) and the dedicated transport rule, which states that the only models that can begin the game embarked in the dedicated transport are the unit that it was purchased for, plus any Independent Characters (up to its transport limit).

Since Lysander is an Independent Character, he is legally allowed to jump in any unit's Drop Pod that has the space for him to do so. IE: 10 Sternguard + Lysander (counts as 2 Models due to TDA) = 12 model capacity of the Drop Pod.

To be fair I don't think it would be unfair in any solid capacity for termys to grab a drop pod, its just silly since they can deep strike anyway!

Its the first turn and I got first go. I illegally placed a 5 man Th/SS Terminator Squad plus Lysander in a "stolen" Drop Pod, and bring it down right smack in the middle of your deployment zone without fear of major deviation or deep strike mishap. Enjoy your first turn trying to either get rid of them while ignoring the rest of my army, or visa-versa.

To be fair I don't think it would be unfair in any solid capacity for termys to grab a drop pod, its just silly since they can deep strike anyway!

Its the first turn and I got first go. I illegally placed a 5 man Th/SS Terminator Squad plus Lysander in a "stolen" Drop Pod, and bring it down right smack in the middle of your deployment zone without fear of major deviation or deep strike mishap. Enjoy your first turn trying to either get rid of them while ignoring the rest of my army, or visa-versa.

Hi folks meet Wolfguard Terminators with Arjac... thats about as good as hammernator squad with Lysander... but at 60pts a terminator :() it is expensive!

And that's the only way they can Deep Strike, so it gets even more expensive for them. Still, I miss Deep Strike mishaps, Drop Pods are just no fun anymore unless they go off the table :rolleyes:.

AND it's a different codex, which is balanced differently than C:SM. It costs more points for 1 less Terminator (C:SW can only have 5 Terminators in the Drop pod instead of 6 since their Pod's only have a capacity of 10 models), And Arjax only has 2 wounds instead of Lysander's 4. In total, thats one third less wounds in a unit that costs more points than the C:SM would-be version.

Why not simply buy a 5-man Tactical Terminator squad for each IC (Calgar in Antilochus, and Lysander), and deepstrike them into the enemy line? Between the hellacious power of the ICs in close combat, the solid saves of the Terminators, the ability to soak instakill wounds onto both Calgar and Lysander during enemy shooting, AND the firepower the Terminators put out (bumped by Calgar's AP2 bolters, and Lysander's Bolter Drill), you could carve a pair of nice exclusion zones into the board.

Drop Pod would be what I would do, (as I suggested in a thread in the Ultras forum) but that does mean no Terminators!

Still, I think 20 Tactical Marines dropped first turn, Calgar and Lysander attacked to each, will be difficult to get rid of!

Archived