quick rule querey regarding assaults

nurglez

Right, I have a lord with I5 and a unit with I 4 in base contact with an enemy squad.

My lord kills 5 out of the 6 enemies and the 1 remaining one is not in base contact with my I4 squad, can my guys still attack?

I did try looking in the assault section of the book but my eye's started to glaze over.....

P. 35, "Who Can Fight?", third and last paragraph:

"All engaged models will fight in this turn's Assault phase with their full number of attacks and use any special close combat attack they have. (...)

Working out which models are engaged in combat is done at the start of the fight, and will not change until its end, but casualties may make it difficult to remember as the fight continues, especially in a large combat. To make the distinction clear, you may find it useful to turn unengaged models so that they are facing away from their opponents. This will help you remember once the dice start rolling."

So you check at the beginning of a combat which models can make attacks against which enemy unit. When it is their time to strike, they can make attacks against that unit, even if the models in contact with them have already been removed by attacks of a higher initiative. If they were able to strike when the combat started, they can make their attacks. Unless the unit they were engaged with was completely destroyed and the only remaining models are from a different unit the model was not engaged with. They cannot attack a unit they were not initially engaged with.

Archived