Ultramarine Tactical Sarge

PHS

Painted this chap last week and while I'm happy with most of it he just seems to be lacking something,

I've never been a huge fan of script all over the armour and I've tried painting chips and scratches on an old figure but can't get it looking any good.

Weathering isn't something I've really done much of in the past , don't know if the best way to go about it would be drybrushing (carefully) or washes.

any thoughts?

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/b08c955c.jpg

cheers fo the nice comments :P

didn't think about a white stripe, that might help a bit . that or some laurels mabey

I'll probably put some grass on the base after I dullcote him

dunno about blood , I'll do a few tests on some old bits . same with the weathering.

cheers

phs

I'm a bit reluctant to highlight the armour up much more, I like to keep it relatively subtle . However I went round the gold trim with a lighter tone.

The weathering went ok I think, just a few washes of graveyard earth and kommando khaki. . The laurels could have been better though

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/44fb5a34.jpg

I'm loving the old model - it's got a really nice paintjob and the chaos plasma pistol works with the whole Heresy-are feel of the model. The weathering is pretty good too - nice and subtle. Did you drybrush it on or stipple it with an old brush?

The laurels don't look too bad. I would have used a light grey first and then gone over with the white.

Maybe a few purity seals to break up the shoulder pads a bit? Or make rivets for the shoulder pads there the only part of the armor that doesn't seem to have any. However love your work on it overall! ;)

I find my eyes drawn to the head of the model, with the helmet being a bright red, and i think to really finish this model off you could simply make the lenses more realistic.

Dark blue, light blue, dot of white to show light reflection.

The model is fantastic overall, though.

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.

@lestat : the weathering is just a few very thin washes, I don't think it came out too bad for my 1st real attempt.

@brax : I wish I'd thought of adding rivets before I slapped paint on him, would have been good . Purity seals are an option though.

@magicman : the lenses really need some work , being so sunken they're a bit fiddly to do without messing up the red. wish I'd done them 1st.

started work on a new chaplain earlier, he's mostly held together with blutac at the moment. Dunno which head to go for, or even what chapter yet

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/44554c4e.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/0789b862.jpg

any comments appreciated

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated.

@lestat : the weathering is just a few very thin washes, I don't think it came out too bad for my 1st real attempt.

@brax : I wish I'd thought of adding rivets before I slapped paint on him, would have been good . Purity seals are an option though.

@magicman : the lenses really need some work , being so sunken they're a bit fiddly to do without messing up the red. wish I'd done them 1st.

started work on a new chaplain earlier, he's mostly held together with blutac at the moment. Dunno which head to go for, or even what chapter yet

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/44554c4e.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/0789b862.jpg

any comments appreciated

I can only say his pose looks a bit lazy. Kinda like 'Go on lads attack over there, I need to rest my strong arm. .'

I realise you can't doo much with DA torso's though

i think that using the skull head from the chaos space marine tactical squad would look cooler on your chaplain, but if you cant get one i think the DA head looks better. btw where did you get the powerfist for your chaplain? i think i have that powerfist but im not sure where it comes from.

I have to agree that he looks rather lazy. Maybe if the arm with the maul was dropped down and he had his head facing forward he would look better? More like he was slowly walking forward towards the enemy, full of faith and the like? As for which head to use... I think I am more in favor of the chaos one.

Cheers for the thoughts.

@variocanum : the powerfist is a normal left handed one, cut and flipped around

"lazy" isn't the look I was going for but I do see it now,

I was thinking more along the lines of "calmly walking across a battlefield, choosing which head to crack next"

I do like the idea of dropping the arm to his side. I'll have a go at that tomorrow.

At the moment I leaning more towards the hooded head, I'm not too keen on the bionic eye and I havent't got a spare plain one unfortunatly.

The only one I had got used on this old chaplain;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/PHS/DSCN132911.jpg

:P I'd completley forgotten it was called that, a real blast from the past .

Anyway I moved the arm down and I he looks good like this, it will probably end up at a slightly lower angle when i trim it to fit properly.

Still a way to go yet , needs a rosarius somewhere and a more interesting shoulder pad for the left side

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/5c94ff86.jpg

yeah that chaplain has an awkward stance there, anyone trying that is bound to get a hammie (really sore muscle) in a second. i like the mask though. to get the eyes try using a paper-clip with pulled or filed end, this can cut a proper groove into those annoying visors, then bundle hair or fur (preferable over 3 inches and stiff) around it, string around and cover with coffee-straw, then rubber-band it for a fine, fine brush.

the sm sarge is pretty cool, but sadly runics are the right of space-wolves. you may be looking for sillouhette paintings or something else romanesque. taking a pair of tesla-coils to it can give you a nice set of cracks, if you are careful and lucky, but shaking it inside a coin-jar can get a weathered effect, mind the little bits.

you are an excellent painter, but you have created an effective cross between gigantor and a fire-hydrant. i have absolutely no clue how to help you fix that except painting it anything other than red. giving it a heavy-skirt of some type, as well as wrist flanges, shin flanges, foot spikes could solve this by making the style contiguous thoughout the body.

something about the venetian sword and shield duellers tinged in my head, you may like it.

ever thought of making a turtle out of odd sm parts? and then making an sm ear of corn? and then get a clothing iron should anyone ask why? turtle: turtling, corn: corny, iron: irony.

maybe mix both heads? Use the skull one but greenstuff a hood on it! they are great tutorial on this board for this.

personnaly I prefered the first pose with the lifted mace.

as for the Crozius Arcanum either transform the mace into one (swapping the head) or strap one on his back

yeah that chaplain has an awkward stance there, anyone trying that is bound to get a hammie (really sore muscle) in a second. i like the mask though. to get the eyes try using a paper-clip with pulled or filed end, this can cut a proper groove into those annoying visors, then bundle hair or fur (preferable over 3 inches and stiff) around it, string around and cover with coffee-straw, then rubber-band it for a fine, fine brush.

the sm sarge is pretty cool, but sadly runics are the right of space-wolves. you may be looking for sillouhette paintings or something else romanesque. taking a pair of tesla-coils to it can give you a nice set of cracks, if you are careful and lucky, but shaking it inside a coin-jar can get a weathered effect, mind the little bits.

you are an excellent painter, but you have created an effective cross between gigantor and a fire-hydrant. i have absolutely no clue how to help you fix that except painting it anything other than red. giving it a heavy-skirt of some type, as well as wrist flanges, shin flanges, foot spikes could solve this by making the style contiguous thoughout the body.

something about the venetian sword and shield duellers tinged in my head, you may like it.

ever thought of making a turtle out of odd sm parts? and then making an sm ear of corn? and then get a clothing iron should anyone ask why? turtle: turtling, corn: corny, iron: irony.

:wacko: I have to say I'm more than a little confused by most of that post.

Must be a language barrier thing, but thanks , all comments more than welcome be they good, bad, indifferant or confusing :lol:

Anyway, I've trimmed the arm to get a somewhat lower angle, also I carved away the dark angel icon hanging from his wrist and replaced it with a small terminator honour bit

Probably gonna swap the mace head with the bit next to him, better for a crozius I think

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq211/mysunner/78d2ff79.jpg

Ah yes, the Bushido helmet. The greatest gift to converters of Chaplains in all of Space Marine history.

forgive me for the newbie question but what is a bushido helmet? and where could i get a few? im interested in doing a few chaplain conversions myself in the future.

*also, where is that backpack with the front facing skulls from?

the command squad sprue contains a eagle that makes a perfect crozius head

http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/SMCommandSprue2.JPG

other than that the mace's arm position is aloth better!

Archived