Archangels 1st Company Captain

bloodseeker36

Hello brothers,

A couple of quick questions to all...What would be the ideal weaponry for Captain Karlaen, 1st company captain of the Blood Angels, to go in accordance to their nickname, the "archangels" and company name, "shield of Baal"? Since the 1st company is the "Shield of Baal" I was thinking the captain would be in Terminator armour with a large shield, but what of his other weapon?

Could someone give me any ideas for a great terminator model to represent Captain Karlaen? Maybe bits and/or models for this special character to complement my force?

Thank you all in advance for your help!! :P

Bloodseeker36

Huh. Apparently Terminator armor, shield, and power sword is a build you can't do with our codex. That's lame, and kind of odd.

So it looks like lightning claw/shield, hammer/shield, or — if you want the sword more than the shield — maybe combi-flamer/power sword? To get the "flame" of the archangel?

well since he already has a halo I wouldn't go with the shield and term armor I was thinking about doing mine with a sang gaurd jump pack and maybe twin lightning claws or inferno pistol and T hammer. But if your going to go with termarmor you gotta go hammer shield or claw shield.

well since he already has a halo I wouldn't go with the shield and term armor I was thinking about doing mine with a sang gaurd jump pack and maybe twin lightning claws or inferno pistol and T hammer. But if your going to go with termarmor you gotta go hammer shield or claw shield.

Yes definitely sold on having him in terminator armor. And I really like the lightning claw and shield combo! Thanks everyone. But as far as the actual model, which should I get or what pieces to use to make him stand out? I was thinking...maybe the Marneus Calgar model, w/o the gauntlets of course, and a claw/shield. Or i could do a claw/shield combo, maybe I could modify a claw to look like the claw of the new forgeworld terminator armored model...I believe his name is the Tyberos the red wake??? So yes...those are my concerns...i would greatly appreciate the aid of my brothers in this dilemma. Thanks again for all your input.

Bloodseeker36

Given the nature of the Blood Angels and our love of flight I think the first captain would be in power armour and have a jump pack. I believe in the codex it says more of our brothers prefer flight over walking even if it is in TDA.I would build him with power armour, turn a glaive into a kind of long bladed power weapon/staff and a full sized storm shield, and sanguinary guard wings.

I am with you in thinking terminator armor when thinking of a first company captain. The thing is, Blood Angels are a lot more interested in jump packs with this new codex. Any of the previous Blood Angel's codexes I would say the terminator armor would be more fluffy, but with this codex I have to agree with the people saying jump packs. It is just too pervasive in the new fluff and as it states the first company selects their wargear based on their preference. However you have one other thing to consider which could lead to a fluffy reason for the terminator armor. The new codex states that as it was the terminators of the chapter that clensed the space hulk the Blood Angels hold their terminators in perhaps even greater awe then other chapters. So you could put him in terminator armor on that basis and still be fluffy.

I am not sure you really need to have a physical sheild on the model, a sheild in his heraldry or a small symbolic sheild would work as well. Just an option, in the end go with what you like. I am going to take a guess that this model is mostly for fluff purposes, not so much a mini to be used in regular games, in which case go fluff all the way and make him cool looking despite the points cost. And if you only plan on pulling him out for friendly battles or appocalypse type fights I would say you could probably go a bit lax on the rules give him a big honking flaming sword and just tell them before the battle it counts as a thunder hammer or what not. If it is for regular matches though, go for straight rules. Or just tell them you made him under the third edition codex when you could put pretty much anything on, and then tell them it counts as what ever.

Considering BA's assaulty nature, why not 2 lightning claws to go with the termie armour? 155 pts for a captain with 2 LC's?

But fluffwise I'd go with a jump pack, sword and plasma or inferno pistol. Many IC seem to use plasma pistols, like our dear chief librarian.

I'd have to agree with putting him in TDA. THere is no question of beign 'unfluffy' by putting the 1st Co Captain in TDA - He's the mailed fist of the entire chapter - any captain could have a jump pack, etc... But he's the one who does teh business in the truely hellish battlefields where anyone not in TDA is just so much toast. I'd be more inclined to say that not putting him in TDA is more unfluffy.

As for weaponry? The Company is called the Shield of Baal, but that doesnt mean that every terminator carries a shield does it? So why should the captain have to carry one? I'd be more than inclined to go for a big sword and a storm bolter - the utilitarian wargear for a guy who has to deal with anything. For model bits - I have always liked the FW red scorpion captain model... Just havent got round to making my one up yet!

Archived